• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Please help.. something wrong with birds beak

fijii

Meeting neighbors
My green cheek conures beak has recently become disconnected on one side.. Ive attached pictures of the normal side, the disconnected side, and a frontal view. How could this have happened?? and what can i do to fix it?? He has toys and is fed zupreme.. he seems healthy otherwise

Attachments

fijii

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the response.. I was hoping for some input of what could be wrong with him.. but i do plan on taking him to a vet.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thanks for the response.. I was hoping for some input of what could be wrong with him.. but i do plan on taking him to a vet.
It looks serious. take him to the vet today please.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
His lower beak is injured on one side and his upper beak on the other. Are you absolutely sure that a dog or other large bird did not get ahold of him. You need to feed him soft foods like cooked mashed sweet potatoes, oatmeal or soaked mashed pellets for now.

He also appears to have a fairly severe scissor beak (the bottom beak does not align with the top beak) and the vet will probably trim that. He may need periodic trim for his entire life.

He needs a vet whether it is an injury or a disease. The lower beak is the real concern and it may need to be plastered.

Let us know what the vet says.

fijii

Meeting neighbors
Thank you for the advice.. There is no way he was injured by a dog.. However, he was caged with our other conure over night one night, they always seemed to get along before. Is it possible that the other conure did that much damage? Im trying to find an avian vet close to me.. Closest one im finding is 2 hours away.. im trying to contact them, but i believe theyre closed for the weekend.

fijii

Meeting neighbors
Hes acting completely normal.. Hes been playing on top of his cage, dancing, ect.. he doesn't seem to be in pain.. he let me touch/move his beak and he didnt mind at all

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It is possible that the other conure injured him. Birds can do major damage to one another with their beaks. A vet will be able to diagnose whether this is an injury or disease related. I hope you can get him to one soon. Perhaps someone here can suggest a vet if you let us know your general location. Hoping your bird will be OK.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Unless the injury goes clear to the quick, or they received a hard blow, or there is infection they won't have any pain. The beak is just like our fingernails or a horse's hoof.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If you will tell us what area you are in, we can help you find a vet.

fijii

Meeting neighbors
I talked to a vet tech. She said theyre closed for the weekend and the doctor isnt available to see new patients after hours. I was told to try back monday, however she cant check the schedule so shes not sure when they could see him :sad8:

Attachments

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Thank you for the advice.. There is no way he was injured by a dog.. However, he was caged with our other conure over night one night, they always seemed to get along before. Is it possible that the other conure did that much damage? Im trying to find an avian vet close to me.. Closest one im finding is 2 hours away.. im trying to contact them, but i believe theyre closed for the weekend.
Yes it is very possible that your other conure did this damage. Is your other conure a gcc or larger? Was this gcc put into the other conure's cage? Birds can seem friendly as long as it doesn't involve one bird being put into another bird's cage - that's when territorial fights can start and they are not pretty. Just my 2 cents from a gcc/sun/tiel/Quaker/budgie parront.

fijii

Meeting neighbors
The other conure is a dusky conure, hes slightly larger.

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Yikes! I hate to be pushy, but honestly I would probably just show up there first thing on Monday. if they couldn't see it right then at least they could keep it there and look at him/her when they have a break in their schedule. Sometimes it is hard to convey over the phone how dire the situation really is :(

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I second just going to the vets also. Most (in fact all I’ve ever worked for) will not turn away a patient in need. Surprised they didn’t recommend an after hours vet that would see you guys.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I'm all for the being pushy and I'm all down for "I don't care how I look please just take a look at my baby" no matter what. I've posted in another thread...I have no humility, pride, anything if it means the health of a family member. I've cashed large CD's out of date and taken hits so my babies can have surgeries or treatments. They will see you.

Keep in touch with them afterwards if you like them. Most often, once they get to know you, they will bend over backwards for you. I've scooped poop on my finger and driven down and insisted they look at it right away. I think back and blush (I must have looked nuts) but I felt better knowing he was okay. That's all I cared about.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
The other conure is a dusky conure, hes slightly larger.
I'm sorry to say it, but yes I'd get him to a vet asap - beg, grovel, cry buckets - anything goes. Tell them he has a separated beak injury caused by a fight with a larger bird.

Our sun conure has clipped wings just now due to a penchant for attacking non-resident women visiting our household. I've had him on my shoulder and have had my alpha male gcc Beni land on me and pick a fight with Tikki to the point where I've grabbed Beni by his tail to get him off me before blood is drawn or someone is injured (me included).

A big gcc flaw is that they believe they are invincible and will behave accordingly even when facing a larger/heavier bird.

Last edited: