• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

please help bella has chewed hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellas momma

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maranda
I stoped the Gatorade after I read up on it she only had a small amout and I use filtered water to mist her and she uses a bowl. no water softer
You should NEVER give a bird gatorade EVER! You know what is in it, don't you? Way to much sugar and BVO which is a flame "R" wordant. Gatorade removes controversial ingredient after girl's online petition – Eatocracy - CNN.com Blogs

Pedialyte is what you give a bird.

Have a couple of questions. How do you bathe your bird? Shower or bowl? Tap water? Bottled Water? Filtered Water? Water softener? Could be giardia it is very common in tap water, very common. If you can give me some back ground information I might be able to help you.

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
i would read the ingredients on the pedialyte bottle before you give it to your parrot. they now add zinc to the formula. now i dont know if its good or bad. i dont think its the same zinc as the metal that is bad for 'em.... but i'm not sure.

so how's the lil one today?

bellas momma

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maranda
She is still resting in her sleep cage she didn't sleep much last night so I'm leaving her in there to rest and my husband is going to check on her thur out the day I have to go to work She see the vet at 4:30 today I hope they can help her.. I checked her there is no bleeding that I could see I hope she gets some rest this morning.
i would read the ingredients on the pedialyte bottle before you give it to your parrot. they now add zinc to the formula. now i dont know if its good or bad. i dont think its the same zinc as the metal that is bad for 'em.... but i'm not sure.

so how's the lil one today?

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Honestly, just stop trying to treat the bird yourself and take it to the vets. I know others mean well but If anyone has experience with this it is me.

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
She needs a vet, there is nothing you can do to help treat the underlying cause of why she is chewing on herself. I personally would consider this an emergency and I'd be waiting at the vet's door until they open this morning.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I do think you should consult with a vet to rule out any physical cause.

Might be a long shot here, but one of my conures was biting herself years ago before I realized just how important sun or full spectrum lighting was. She didn't make herself bleed but I found bruises. I took her to the vet and he suggested I get the lighting. As soon as I did she sat under it with her wings spread out absorbing it. Within a couple of weeks no more biting herself or screaming from pain. And within a couple of months she looked so much better and felt so much better.

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
On way to vet now Please pray they can help her out.
The new thing is to treat them with a herpes medication and neurontin, to help with nerve pain, since that is why some vets thinks bird's pluck. If they rule out everything else, ask about that. And ask about DMSO gel, it did wonders with Paco, so he didn't need pain medication. Good luck!!! :hug8:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Honestly, just stop trying to treat the bird yourself and take it to the vets. I know others mean well but If anyone has experience with this it is me.
I think people were helping her get through the weekend until the vet opened today.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Many prayers that the vet can putting on his or her thinking cap and get to the bottom of it.

Ginger

bellas momma

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maranda
Prayers please can't go into good detail right now internet problems but she is being sedated right now to have a bubble collar put on she has chewed a big hole in her back and under her wing.

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Oh Maranda :(

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Hugs

bellas momma

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maranda
My internet is touch and go but Bella is home she is taking small bits of her veggies rt now she goes back next Friday for futher test she got to stressed today to do any she is on a antibiotic twice a day for seven days.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Hang in there Mommy, it will be rough for about a week and then you and she will get the hand of it.

Ginger

Resee

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kara
I'm sorry things are so tough for both of you right now. Prayers for you both.

Status
Not open for further replies.