• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pet Store Macaw

Abbie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Abbie
So I’ve been visiting this guy at a local pet store for about a month and my heart breaks for him. If I had the room to bring him home with me he would be mine, but with my green wing baby coming home in a couple weeks it just isn’t feasible for us to get him too. He is the sweetest thing though and so craved for attention. Yesterday he stuck his whole leg through the bars of his enclosure to try to get me to pick him up. He’s a rehome and speaks Spanish and English and needs so much more than the pet store is giving him. He has no toys and all they have for perches for him are a pvc pipe and a metal shower rod that are both too small in diameter. He is missing a toe on each foot and the bottoms of both feet are starting to get small sores on them from not having proper perches. The only thing the pet store has going for them is they have him on a pretty good diet of pellets and fruits/veggies.

Since I know I can’t afford to get 2 macaws at one time I’m trying to think of other ways to help him. I’m going to see if the store will let me buy toys and perches from them to put in his enclosure or donate some that I have at home. If you have any other ideas of anything I can do for him I’m open to suggestions and if anyone is looking for a sweet macaw close to the Evansville, IN area this boy really needs a good home!

I’ll try to take more pictures the next time I visit!

79C4750F-89B3-449C-8881-72A763B6C72C.jpeg

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thank you so much for trying to help:heart:
How sad:( I really hope thr store Will work with you, I tried very hard and nicely working with a store(not a pet store) that has four parrots but they refused. Their ekkie is on a practically sunflower seed and Peanut diet:(
Perhaps someone here is willing to adopt him?*hopeful*:)

Abbie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Abbie
Here's another picture of him where you can see his feet better. You can even see the sore on the one foot. I zoomed in on it in the second pic so you can see it better. He really needs to see a vet. They are asking $2500 for him. If they would come off that price a bit (not that he's not totally worth it) I might be able to talk my husband into taking him home. He does seem to prefer women over men but did let my husband rub his beak a bit. I was able to rub his head and you could tell he really wanted me to pick him up.

macaw.png

macaw bumblefoot.png

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, the little angel! :sad11: Thank you for visiting him and loving on him; you're probably his best source of interaction at that store.

Man, if I had a passport and wasn't broke as heck....anyone on AA own a plane?
:airplane:

I hope someone wonderful brings him home soon and gives him all the attention and love he's so desperate for. Poor sweet fella.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sad that they are charging so much for a bird that needs vet care :( He has bumblefoot starting it looks like

Abbie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Abbie
Sad that they are charging so much for a bird that needs vet care :( He has bumblefoot starting it looks like
I was thinking the same thing. If they don't do something to manage it he could end up losing both feet. My heart aches every time I go to see him, but I know if no one advocates for him nothing will change so I keep going and hoping they will eventually either listen to me or sell him to me at a cheaper price. We are moving to a much larger house at the beginning of the year where we will have an entire room dedicated to the birds and plenty of space for him. I really don't have the space until we move but I could make it work if I could just convince the hubby to spend the money or the store to lower the price.

Abbie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Abbie
Also the picture in my original post is from yesterday and the other is from the time before when I went to see him. They did have 2 or 3 small toys in his cage but yesterday they had removed all but one small rope toy. I'm not sure why. Maybe they had recently cleaned his cage and hadn't gotten them put back in yet.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Poor fellow. Good luck working on them - keep reminding them of the increased investment they'll have in him when they have to have regular vet care to heal his feet, not to mention the hands-on medicating they'll need to do... are they afraid of him? More incentive, perhaps...

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Even just a larger diameter PVC perch would be an upgrade. Surely they would consider that? Would they let you bring him homemade toys or a phone book?

And he is precious! He needs kisses and cuddles! :dreamyeyes:Will they let you hold him? If so, give him some love from Texas. :heart:

Abbie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Abbie
That foot looks bad, it's small on the outside, but what's on the inside is what worries me,, I dearly hope he gets help,,if I had the money, I'd wire it to you..:sad4:
I actually feel like this is pretty progressed bumblefoot. I'm going to go back in the next couple of days with some info of what could happen if they don't have it seen about. The bottoms of both feet look almost identical.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
With missing toes, I'm sure he uses his feel differently than typical macaws, and that they will be harder to heal and will take more work to find a therapeutic perch solution. They could start with some vit e ointment, but it probably won't be enough.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The more I read about this guy, the harder I'm praying that some serendipitous act will get him home with you! C'mon hubby, it's only $2500! ;)

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I'm wondering if you can formulate a ball-park estimate of vet. costs to deal with his feet. Offer to purchase him for a specific price, provided they agree to cover all vet. costs related to the sores on his feet. Does his price include anything other than him? I imagine they're hoping to sell him to someone unsuspecting...

You're husband just bought 2 macaws, right? I bet you can work in another...

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Poor baby. Keep trying to talk them down.

Abbie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Abbie
Just a little more info on him...a friend of mine also visits him and she was told that he previously lived with a Spanish speaking family for 10 years (not sure if that was his first home) who rehomed him to another family who only kept him for 4 months. They had to move and couldn't keep him so they gave him to the pet store. (She said gave but I'm assuming she meant sold).

Abbie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Abbie
Even just a larger diameter PVC perch would be an upgrade. Surely they would consider that? Would they let you bring him homemade toys or a phone book?

And he is precious! He needs kisses and cuddles! :dreamyeyes:Will they let you hold him? If so, give him some love from Texas. :heart:
I could even give them the pvc pipe. My husband does plumbing work so we have plenty laying around! I'm not sure if they will let me hold him or not. Everytime I have gone in it's been too busy to really talk to anyone about him. I'm hoping to go on a not so busy week day in the near future.