• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pet Store Macaw

Abbie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Abbie
I'm wondering if you can formulate a ball-park estimate of vet. costs to deal with his feet. Offer to purchase him for a specific price, provided they agree to cover all vet. costs related to the sores on his feet. Does his price include anything other than him? I imagine they're hoping to sell him to someone unsuspecting...

You're husband just bought 2 macaws, right? I bet you can work in another...
I have thought about talking to my avian vet about him and showing pictures to see if they could give me an idea of vet care costs. Price does include his enclosure which is rather large, but not really something I would keep him in. It was made for him by the previous owner and is super flimsy. It's more like a dog kennel. Definitely not up to macaw standards. I have a video that shows the entire enclosure but I can't figure out how to get it to upload on here.

As far as my husband is concerned it's not really the price that is an issue for him. He just thinks 3 macaws is too many for us. Reality is my husband is a HUGE softy when it comes to animals. If I get him to visit enough and make him understand how serious the bumblefoot can be I'm hoping he will just decide we should bring him home to get him out of his situation.

Last edited:

Abbie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Abbie
Well, 3 macaws are a lot, but so are 2, so what the heck... Good luck. If not you, then hopefully someone else will see him and need him.
I just want him to go to a good home whether it's mine or someone else's. I wish I knew more bird people in my area! I would love for someone on here to be able to take him in, but I don't think there is anyone close to me on here.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm not sure if they will let me hold him or not. Everytime I have gone in it's been too busy to really talk to anyone about him.
They're trying to move a "product" with a $2500 price tag. I would think they'd fall over themselves trying to let you inspect the "merchandise". :unsure1:

Price does include his enclosure which is rather large, but not really something I would keep him in. It was made for him by the previous owner and is super flimsy. It's more like a dog kennel. Definitely not up to macaw standards.
When you're holding him and clearly interested in making the purchase I would ask how much he is without the enclosure. When they say it's a package deal I would make it clear -every time- that it is flimsy, sub par & that they shouldn't expect customers to purchase an amateur's home made dog kennel. It's inappropriate and a liability.

I'll bet if you were able to make them a cash offer (and make it clear it is for only the bird) they would come down. Not the first time, but eventually. Tell then you already have an aviary and have no use for the previous owner's DIY project.

KatelynDeanne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Omg I wish you could take him home!! Talk with your hubby about it and if he really has a soft spot for animals I'm sure he wouldn't mind. Even bring your hubby with you to the store and maybe y'll can talk to the workers about takin him home with an offer. I want to see a happy ending here.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Wow I feel so bad for him...I have never heard of bumblefoot. I am always checking fred's feet for problems, I am so afraid of that. Geez poor guy. What a beautiful bird. I do hope you get him....I was thinking just what you mentioned. Getting an estimate from the vet....go to the pet store with it. :sadhug:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Oh dear. He really is a beautiful guy and I pray something good will happen for him. You have to know these store owners took him in for next to nothing and are being very greedy about his asking price.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I am hoping your husband just decides to bring him home and get him out of that situation. Poor thing his feet look so painful.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe try to convince the store of the vets costs & the bad cage point.

Then convince hubby this guy will just eat the fruits & veggies the 2 other macaws throw on the floor, & what you pitch wouldn't get thrown out if he were w/ you.

I will just ask god to bless your family & his. Then maybe between all of us it will work out properly.

:hug4: Rain

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh the poor baby I hope you manage to sweet talk your hubby. Thank you for visiting him and showing him some love and care, I hope things work out and he can go home with you even if it is just until you find his forever perfect home.

I think the vet estimate is a great idea, it will give you the reason and ability to haggle a bit on the price, plus you will also need to pay for an appropriate macaw cage to keep him safe.

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Any updates @Abbie ?
Seriously hoping you can get him outta there somehow...

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
:depressed: It just breaks my heart seeing an animal being held "hostage", who clearly needs medical attention.

Abbie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Abbie
No updates yet. I have talked to my avian vet and was told they couldn't give me a real good estimate without actually seeing the bird but that they would put some rough totals together for me. The store is around an hour from my house so I haven't had a chance to get back there to visit. Hopefully this weekend!

Abbie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Abbie
I visited Perry again yesterday and I couldn't have been happier with what I found when I got there! They had added several new toys to his cage, wrapped the pvc perches with a soft material and added a couple of perches with a more appropriate diameter for him. His feet are almost totally healed! They looked so good and he seemed so much happier than the previous times I have visited! Turns out they recently got a new employee who is a total bird person and has made sure Perry has gotten the things he needs. I will continue to check on him periodically and work on my husband about maybe bringing him home, (So far I have made no progress) but for now my heart is happy knowing he has someone there who loves him and is watching out for him!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
So glad he's got a bird person there now.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Here's another picture of him where you can see his feet better. You can even see the sore on the one foot. I zoomed in on it in the second pic so you can see it better. He really needs to see a vet. They are asking $2500 for him. If they would come off that price a bit (not that he's not totally worth it) I might be able to talk my husband into taking him home. He does seem to prefer women over men but did let my husband rub his beak a bit. I was able to rub his head and you could tell he really wanted me to pick him up.

You might be able to negotiate a price after pointing out he's in need of medical attention. Heck, it's worth a try!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Geez I have been thinking about this since I first read the story. So glad he's better, these things bother me so much.