• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Peanuts and

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Aflatoxins (which are a type of mycotoxin) including Aspergillus can affect any bird but the ones most susceptible are young, liver or lung compromised, vitamin A deficient, and immune suppressed. Some species like Pionus, Poicephalus, and Greys are also more susceptible than other species.

In reality, ANY improperly stored grain or nut can have them. It can also be passed to dairy, meat and egg products if the animal that consumed it is fed foods with it.

The best thing to do is just be smart. "Human grade" foods have much lower allowable amounts than those for animals. In shell nuts are usually more of a risk than out of the shell nuts.

Some reading

Aflatoxin levels in almonds warrant ongoing scrutiny, US study
Aflatoxin: How to Avoid this Common-Food Carcinogen

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I don't understand why people always make it a point to mention that peanuts not really nuts, but rather a legume like that is some horrible thing. Beans and peas are in the same family but they don't get the same negative attention.

We give our guys roasted, unsalted people-grade peanuts sometimes. Since they are fatty they don't get them often, usually only as a special treat or bribe. I did not know raw pistachios carried the same risk. I'm glad that was mentioned here. And after reading @Mizzely's link, I wonder if we should only buy roasted almonds for the birds from now on? And I just bought figs yesterday to give them, now I'm not so sure. :shrug2: Maybe I should just throw them out?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Great Companions is now producing and marketing "Peanut Free" food for birds. I used to snipe at them about peanuts in their foods every time I ordered from them - I guess enough of us did to make them do something. Now if they would just get rid of the sunflower seeds.

Bird Supplies, Bird Food, Free Shipping | Great Companions

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't understand why people always make it a point to mention that peanuts not really nuts, but rather a legume like that is some horrible thing. Beans and peas are in the same family but they don't get the same negative attention.

We give our guys roasted, unsalted people-grade peanuts sometimes. Since they are fatty they don't get them often, usually only as a special treat or bribe. I did not know raw pistachios carried the same risk. I'm glad that was mentioned here. And after reading @Mizzely's link, I wonder if we should only buy roasted almonds for the birds from now on? And I just bought figs yesterday to give them, now I'm not so sure. :shrug2: Maybe I should just throw them out?
I just find that it's interesting that peanuts are called nuts when they aren't.
I was giving the birds human grade roasted unsalted pistachios. Based on testing, there were low levels of aflatoxins acceptable for humans and not enough to affect a person but definitely enough to affect my birds. The birds were young red-bellied parrots (Poicephalus) and the one who seemed to go after and eat the pistachios the most is the one who became ill first. I wasn't feeding them a lot although I was using them for training but, again, not what I would consider a lot. However, tainted pistachios are not safe and can cause major issues. I have never forgiven myself for giving them those $@$@ pistachios.

I do give the birds pine nuts, walnuts in the shell, almonds in the shell and roasted unsalted cashews. I use almond butter instead of peanut butter. No pistachios allowed here. Why are pine nuts considered problematic? I've never had issues with those.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I was giving the birds human grade roasted unsalted pistachios. Based on testing, there were low levels of aflatoxins acceptable for humans and not enough to affect a person but definitely enough to affect my birds. The birds were young red-bellied parrots (Poicephalus) and the one who seemed to go after and eat the pistachios the most is the one who became ill first. I wasn't feeding them a lot although I was using them for training but, again, not what I would consider a lot. However, tainted pistachios are not safe and can cause major issues. I have never forgiven myself for giving them those $@$@ pistachios.

So you've had issues with the roasted pistachios? :huh: That is disappointing, but as others have said there are other options that are safe. But the mention of the almonds, nuts in the shell, and figs is worrisome also.

In reality, ANY improperly stored grain or nut can have them. It can also be passed to dairy, meat and egg products if the animal that consumed it is fed foods with it.
It sounds like any nut, shelled or otherwise, could potentially be dangerous and all grains, etc. Is anything safe from it or are we just gambling with better odds? :what: It seems like there are instances of nearly everything we deem "safe" having been effected at one time or another. This is so frustrating. :(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

It sounds like any nut, shelled or otherwise, could potentially be dangerous and all grains, etc. Is anything safe from it or are we just gambling with better odds? :what: It seems like there are instances of nearly everything we deem "safe" having been effected at one time or another. This is so frustrating. :(

Better odds for the most part.

How to Protect Yourself from the Little-Known Toxin in 4 Common Foods | US Wellness Meats
How To Avoid Aflatoxin In Common Foods | Care2 Healthy Living

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
"Legumes are family of plants and they all have the same type of fruit — a bean, actually, that is technically called a legume. Examples: snow peas, string beans or sugar snap peas. All fruits (of the legume variety). Peas (also kidney beans, chick peas and fava beans) might fool you."

The reason that Peanuts get so much attention in the Aspergillosis world is that Peanuts grow underground and that is where the largest concentration and variety of Aspergilloses fungus live (warm and damp). Therefore Peanuts have the greatest likelihood of exposure to Asper.

Ok - read this if you want to learn the nitty/gritty about Aspergillosis;
Aspergillosis (Sad Update) | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
The reason that Peanuts get so much attention in the Aspergillosis world is that Peanuts grow underground and that is where the largest concentration and variety of Aspergilloses fungus live (warm and damp). Therefore Peanuts have the greatest likelihood of exposure to Asper.
So the point folks are trying to make when they say peanuts are not a nut is that real nuts don't grow underground, not that peanuts are somehow lesser for being a legume instead of a nut. That's the part that confused me about why people kept making that distinction; it always sounded like they were implying legumes were unsafe even though we give peas, etc to our birds all the time. Other legumes are safe, too, again just not the peanut.

I've known since I joined this site that raw peanuts were unsafe because of the possibility of aspergillosis & not super healthy because of the fats, but I didn't realize until this thread that roasting the peanuts doesn't always kill the fungus. That did surprise me, especially since they are in so many accepted brands of commercial bird foods.

I also hadn't heard about pistachios, almonds, grains, etc. carrying it, too. That's a daunting list to try to avoid. Are those foods as bad as peanuts or are they lower risk because they grow above ground? I'm still confused about how much of what foods are low-risk.

@Hankmacaw My heart always hurts for you whenever I read stories about Hank. :sadhug2: Thank you for helping the rest of us be more informed about the dangers of Asper through his story.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
In no way am I trying to downplay Aspergillus or the associated sickness that comes with it. My point was that we cannot say that peanuts are the only source of these and assume that because we don't feed peanuts that our birds cannot suffer from it.

As far as I can see, the highest risk comes from:

1. Peanuts and peanut products
2. Corn
3. Wheat
4. Oil seeds such as cottonseed

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I know no one was downplaying it. If anything this thread certainly brought a lot more concerns to light. If anything I was worried what foods weren't potential dangers. This is very scary stuff.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I know no one was downplaying it. If anything this thread certainly brought a lot more concerns to light. If anything I was worried what foods weren't potential dangers. This is very scary stuff.

On the other hand I wasn't trying to elicit panic :lol:

The truth is, we breathe in spores every day with seemingly no ill effects. So it is impossible to get away from the completely. We shouldn't be afraid of our food as long as we are selecting good quality products. You can even email companies and they will let you know what their acceptable range is. For humans, it must be below 20 parts per billion (ppb) to be considered fit for consumption. I know that many of the bird food companies have their own personal limit at lower than that, with many being at 5ppb.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
There are numerous threat for Asper, peanuts just happen to be the highest risk. Soil is high risk, hidden or obvious molds/fungus in bedding, potting soil, leaks in plumbing or from rain or just plain old uncleanliness are all risks, but they don't happen often and a normally healthy bird or person can fight the spores off.

One member did get Asper from a hidden mold in her home. It wasn't properly diagnosed for many months and had a pretty good hold on her. It took two years to completely cure her asper and many thousand dollars. She still has lingering effects from it, just like Hank did. None of her birds got Asper.

It's not something to spend your days worrying about, just be aware and take precautions. Learn the symptoms of Asper and if you think there is a possibility that your bird has it, insist that your vet test for it. The tests are much better now.

Life has risks and we just have to live with them the best we can, but living in constant fear is foolish and debilitating. Be happy.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Just want to remind everyone that Aspergillus and Aflatoxins are two different things so you don't confuse them.

1. Aspergillosus is a fungus, it is alive and causes Aspergillosis a disease.
2. Aflatoxin is a poison that the Aspergillus fungus produces and it poisons a person or bird or what ever.

All of the Aspergillosus can be dead, but the aflatoxin can remain and cause illness or death.

Hope that is clear enough.