• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Peanuts and

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
If peanuts and hard corn kernels are bad for parrots why do the major food manufacturers of parrot foods have a mix with it in?

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Neither are bad, they're actually very healthy, fed in the correct ratio using the correct quality. Sunflower seeds are very healthy too, but not when they are overfed.

The danger of peanuts for parrots is that they can carry aspergillosis. If you choose to feed them, only use human grade and not the second grade peanuts (for animal consumption only) that are used in most common animal feeds.

There are several large Avian food producers, such as Lafeber, Harrison an Hari, just to name a few, that only use human grade peanuts that have been rigorously tested, in their mixes and pellets.

Corn is loaded with minerals, fiber, antioxidants, etc. Corn can also carry Aspergillosis. You want to look for a non-GMO organic variety. Harrisons uses non-GMO. Lafeber uses non-GMO corn and soybean meal. Their grains are literally grown outside the company's front door in Illinois.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Peanuts are cheaper than other items such as almonds, walnuts and pine nuts. I've been trying to get Volkman to stop putting peanuts in their seed mixes or at least offer a few mixes without peanuts. They manually mix the ingredients and it wouldn't be difficult to omit the peanuts and use almonds, walnuts or pine nuts instead but it would be more expensive.
Some manufacturers do a random sample testing of peanuts to make sure they are safe. Not sure if they test the corn.
I do feed my birds corn but it is cooked and I don't overdo it. Been providing them corn for many years. Some eat the corn in the mixes and some don't.
Nothing wrong with either item but do have to be careful with them.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@BertAllen They are both acceptable food sources, but not very good for captive birds. Peanuts are especially not a good source of food for parrots - due to the very high fat content and danger of Aflatoxins and/or Aspergillosis. My birds have had Asper several time (once they have it they are highly likely to get it again). I'll guarantee that you never ever want your Baby to contract Asper - it is highly deadly, long term expensive treatment and very damaging even if it is "cured". Just don't every feed peanuts to Tink - there are too many other good nuts (peanuts aren't nuts anyway) to feed them. I'll also mention that African and Timneh Greys are two of the birds most susceptible to Aspergillosis.

Ask A Vet Online For Free 24/7 - PetCoach
'PEANUTS, never give a bird a peanut"
Aspergillosis / Aflatoxins in Pet Birds | Beauty of Birds

Last edited:

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the links and all the information.

Looks to me that we all need to live in a sterile environment which is an impossible feat. Although I do my shopping early in the morning to avoid all the kids and mothers with colds and the flu. Doesn't always pan out though.

Tinker hates peanuts and that hard corn in the bags you buy. He also seems to never eat the small grains and seeds unless he thinks I am eating them when I root through is food dish.

Since he wastes so much of that bought food I am going to see what the Bulk Barn for people has and start mixing my own. I harvest my own Black walnuts but he flings them away as well but most people I know don't like them either. He likes almonds and the standard American walnut.

Pellets that have been softened he will eat well and hard pellets he nibbles on through out the day.

His morning mash has many beans, peas, chick peas and some corn etc. Yellow zucchini is a favorite. His mash or chop changes on a regular basis as Teresa looks after that.

So after all that I will take peanuts and the hard corn out of his diet.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Most birds do not like raw peanuts that are in many mixes. And if you offer your bird a peanut as a treat than do so in little bits. Corn is absolutely vital for chickens who are kept outdoors.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've also dealt with aspergillosis. The birds that were affected were young. The culprit....aflatoxins from pistachios.
We always think of peanuts as nuts but they are actually legumes like peas and beans.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Looks to me that we all need to live in a sterile environment which is an impossible feat.

Not true at all @BertAllen. We just need to beware of the important diseases and ask questions when ever you think of one. Our birds shouldn't live in a sterile environment (mine sure as heck doesn't), but it needs to be clean, not nasty - if you know what I mean. There is a wealth of information on the internet and all you need to do is watch who is giving the information and how old it is. And ask questions, like I said. There are over 15,000 members on this forum and the ones who are active have been through just about every possible situation with their birds.

I got my Hank 21 years ago and things have changed and gotten much better in those 21 years. Even Asper treatment and diagnosis is much more advanced.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I refuse to use any kind of food that contains peanuts to my parrots.
And peanuts don't enter my house. Their are so many other things to give them that are safe and healthy.
I also avoid pistachio, pine nuts, black walnuts and fresh corn. And I never buy nuts for parrots, always organic for humans.
But for what I know popcorn corn is safe and I sprout them. Make popcorn with them with coconut oil. We love that here. (and no salt of course)

We always think of peanuts as nuts but they are actually legumes like peas and beans.
I have been trying to tell people that but they think I'm kidding.
Nuts are healthy, but peanuts isn't a nut. And in bigger amounts they are dangerous too, even for us.
If peanuts and hard corn kernels are bad for parrots why do the major food manufacturers of parrot foods have a mix with it in?
Because they are stupid and only think of making money.
I'll also mention that African and Timneh Greys are two of the birds most susceptible to Aspergillosis.
And sadly also Pionus.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Younger birds are also more susceptible to aflatoxins. My older birds who were also getting pistachios did not get sick.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Here is a thread about Black Walnuts. The info on the internet is contradictory - something else you need to watch for, contradictory or "Snake Oil" type information.

black walnut? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
The nut itself has no tannin in it but the outer casing does. Turns the water brown. It was used to dye cloth way back when. It is also supposed to kill anything green but when I dumped the wash waters from the process of cleaning on the driveway I'm sure the weeds grew faster and thicker. Grass and flowers are supposed to die under the tree as well but it seems to be growing well in the shade.

I also found no tannin under the bark of the old one I had to cut down and planked it for wood working. Seems to me the tree stores it in the outer shell to make it undesirable to squirrels and coons. But they are tough critters here as I fight them for the nuts every other year. But since the wood is listed as maybe or maybe not good for perches etc I use the maple from my sisters acreage.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Oh by the way I know peanuts are not nuts. I think we learned that is grade school.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Not true at all @BertAllen. We just need to beware of the important diseases and ask questions when ever you think of one. Our birds shouldn't live in a sterile environment (mine sure as heck doesn't), but it needs to be clean, not nasty - if you know what I mean. There is a wealth of information on the internet and all you need to do is watch who is giving the information and how old it is. And ask questions, like I said. There are over 15,000 members on this forum and the ones who are active have been through just about every possible situation with their birds.

I got my Hank 21 years ago and things have changed and gotten much better in those 21 years. Even Asper treatment and diagnosis is much more advanced.
I know what you mean about cleanliness. His cage certainly doesn't need washing and sterilizing daily as some suggest.

I sometimes wonder about information as it contradictory at times from vet to vet and breeder to breeder.
I remember years ago a study on aspartame sweetener. It causes cancer in the rat test subjects. They forgot to tell you they were subjected to the equivalent amount in of 500 cans of pop per week.

Either way the peanuts are being remove from his diet and so is that hard corn. We give him a slice of corn on the cob every three days and he loves it.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I refuse to use any kind of food that contains peanuts to my parrots.
And peanuts don't enter my house. Their are so many other things to give them that are safe and healthy.
I also avoid pistachio, pine nuts, black walnuts and fresh corn. And I never buy nuts for parrots, always organic for humans.
But for what I know popcorn corn is safe and I sprout them. Make popcorn with them with coconut oil. We love that here. (and no salt of course)

I have been trying to tell people that but they think I'm kidding.
Nuts are healthy, but peanuts isn't a nut. And in bigger amounts they are dangerous too, even for us.

Because they are stupid and only think of making money.

And sadly also Pionus.
Pine nuts are bad? Java just decided that he liked those. If they're bad, then I'll eat them. Out of sight, of course!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I sometimes wonder about information as it contradictory at times from vet to vet and breeder to breeder.

That's why we have to use our own heads and common sense many times - and pay attention to the date of the information and the source. There are really crappy vets out there and I have run into three of them - two were diplomates (the highest certification in the veterinarian world) and one was just an idiot. I can give you the names of some vets that I trust completely and therefore believe and practice what ever they write.

Breeders - lie (except our AA breeders) and breeders are in business to make a profit - otherwise they couldn't live themselves. I see by the reaction that some buyers get, here on the forum, from asking breeders questions, that many breeders are; 1. Way, way behind on their education and knowledge. 2. Very defensive and generally blame the buyer for every thing that goes wrong. 3. Or worst of al, they out and out lie.

You and I are old enough to remember Reagan saying, "Trust, but verify" and I sure do that.