• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

our eclectus' diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

applejack

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lindsay
I encourage you to try sprouting lentils, garbanzo and mung beans. They sprout very easily. I prefer to sprout each type in a separage container (like the low, gladware type plastic storage dishes). For 1 bird, place about a tablespoon of dired beans into the container and cover with an inch of water. Let them soak overnight then drain and rinse in a wire mesh strainer. Pour back into the plastic dish and set aside. Several times a day, or whenever you think about it, rinse them again. They will begin sprouting little white tails within 2 days. They are now ready to serve and can be refrigerated until they are used up. Rinse each time before serving.

I no longer cook beans and only serve these 3 (and sprouted field peas when I can find them).
Thanks! Definitely will try the beans, as well as the quinoa to see what he likes. How long can they keep safely in the refridgerator after they are sprouted?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I buy my sprouts from the Sprout People. They explain all about how to sprout and even have videos. They are fantastic! Since Ruby doesn't like sprouts yet I keep my sprouting to very small amounts and use the Bell jar method (bought at Target) with draining lids (3 size mesh set) I purchased from the Sprout People which is another option. When the sprouts are ready to go in the fridge I switch the draining lids with solid white plastic lids.

The Grooviest Sprouting Seeds on Our Planet!

Attachments

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
I personally don't like the jar method because I mostly sprout beans and sunflower seeds. I feel I have more control in bowls, sprouting just individual items, like I said.

As soon as tails form, refrigerate, regardless of what you are sprouting. Since sprouts are alive they will continue sprouting in the fridge. If you only sprout a small amount at a time you won't have to worry about them going bad, but you should feed them in 3-4 days. I usually start a new batch every couple days. It becomes simple once you get in the habit. IMO it is much easier than cooking beans. Just remember to rinse everytime you take the container out of the fridge.

Also, they will continue to grow in the food dishes, so you don't need to worry about them spoiling there either.

Oh and btw, lentils are kind of spicy, garbanzos are rather bland and mung are sort of 'fresh'. I use them on my salads also. In fact, I often eat a bite of the food I serve the Eclectus because it is basically a salad with a bit of cooked grain; granted a salad with greens, veggies and fruits, none of which we normally serve mixed together but it's fresh and tasty!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.