• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

our eclectus' diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

applejack

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lindsay
Just thought I'd write out what we're giving him and see if we are missing anything. We're still new to this and trying to figure out what, exactly, is best for him. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

As a base, he gets Bountiful Harvest from MSBS. Also a few Harrison's pellets, because he loves them. But only a few.
On top of that, once a day he gets a warmed mash of Pumpkin and sweet potato. I was thinking of adding some cinnamon to this, or some other spice. Would that be a good idea?
Then we made a fruit and vegetable mix that he gets with the Bountiful Harvest twice a day:
-Papaya
-Pineapple
-Mango
-Carrots
-Jalapeno peppers
-Kiwi
-Kale
-Swiss Chard
-a frozen organic mix of carrots, corn, peas, green beens
-Pomegranate
-Blueberries

(I want to add some bell peppers to this, but I'm having trouble finding organic ones and I know how dangerous the regular ones can be, what with all the pesticide. Same for strawberries and cherries)

And during the day he will usually have a few almonds and walnuts as treats.

I'd love to start baking bird-bread, but our oven is broken for the next week or so, lol. But once we have a functioning oven, I want to start experimenting with different bread mixtures and see how he likes them.

Anything I'm missing? The Bountiful Harvest mix has grains and pasta, but should I be giving him more grain-based items? Beans? Any other type of fruit/vegetable that's good for him that I'm missing?

Thanks so much :)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Does the Bountiful Harvest have any additives and/or vitamins or Spirulina in it?

The veggies and fruits are good as long as you don't give too much citrus. Adding more berries when available is very good for ekkies (blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, etc) as well as fresh figs. Dried figs are good also/no additives. Just don't give as much as fresh figs. Lots of celery and GREEN apples and melons plus the seeds (cantaloupe, honeydew, sprite, watermelon). :)

artgeek09

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Jessica
I second birdiemarie and the Celery! We started adding it to Dante's diet and WOW his feathers have improved so much. It also helps us make sure that he 's getting all of that extra fiber that Eclectus need. Dante loves anything bark like, especially Whole Star Anise and Cinnamon sticks, so adding those are great also! Dante loves his Bountiful Harvest No Pellet mix. I gave a copy of the ingrediant list to my vet and she studied it for a good while and said it should be good, but just like any other food, watch for signs of food sensitivity (Marie, you're the expert so I'll let you tell about that one!). Dante has not had any signs. but each bird is different, so keep a close eye out.

applejack

Real Name
Lindsay
Thanks so much! I'll pick up some celery, figs, apples, melons, and berries tomorrow and add them in.

The Bountiful Harvest has no added vitamins or Spirulina in it, according to the ingredient list on the store's website. He was eating Goldenfeast at the shop, but it seems like the Bountiful Harvest had more in it, and he likes it better as well, so I made the complete switch.

Aside from almonds/walnuts, are there any other treats I could be offering?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I sure have learned a lot from Ruby's food allergies, that's for sure, Jessica. She's now on a completely raw veggie/fruit diet now, plus certain specific nuts and seeds. High carbs and protein can cause a lot of trouble with ekkies so be careful with the rice, pasta, beans. Cooking food changes the way ekkies digest it and how they absorb it into their bodies. Many eclectus have trouble with it while others do not so pay attention to what diet you choose and become aware of the signs of food allergy and make whatever changes you have to if needed. :)

applejack

Real Name
Lindsay
Marie, what foods is Ruby sensitive to, if you don't mind me asking? How did you figure out what foods were causing her problems?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thanks so much! I'll pick up some celery, figs, apples, melons, and berries tomorrow and add them in.

The Bountiful Harvest has no added vitamins or Spirulina in it, according to the ingredient list on the store's website. He was eating Goldenfeast at the shop, but it seems like the Bountiful Harvest had more in it, and he likes it better as well, so I made the complete switch.

Aside from almonds/walnuts, are there any other treats I could be offering?
Walnuts are very good for the Omega 3's but don't over feed due to fat content. It's good to soak almonds overnight in water then rinse and give one or two a day. It's very healthy that way and good for humans as well. A few ideas for treats try tiny pieces of green apple or raw sunflower seeds, white or black sesame seeds (no additives and 1/4 tsp a day).

Edit: Lindsay, we posted at the same time. :)
Ruby is sensitive to carbs (rice, pasta, sweet potato, wheat), also protein (beans, animal proteins such as eggs). These will cause her to wing flip and toe tap and get very itchy. I was hoping to have sprouts be her protein source but she refuses to eat them. She eats Lucy Tobin's Unpellet every night for supper and this is her protein source at the moment but she is wing flipping again so have not found which allergen is causing this new episode.

Last edited:

artgeek09

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Jessica
As far as treats go, Dante's favorite is his Whole Star Anise. He'll work harder for that than he will anything else. I usually end up breaking the limbs and using one limb for a treat at a time. Plus, his breath smells like sweet licorice afterwards!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I love when Ruby smells of star anise. I wish she'd eat more of it. :)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Something I would highly suggest is sprouts — they are very nutritious and beneficial.

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
I agree with Renee on the sprouts. Mine have sprouts daily.

jerseybella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
Hey guys. Question about celery. Do you peel the strings off?

applejack

Real Name
Lindsay
I definitely want to start sprouting, but I'm nervous about it. I know if you don't do it correctly, you can have problems with mold and bacteria and all that. Can you buy sprouts already sprouted?

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
I have found that sprouting quinoa is really quick and easy! I put a tablespoon of quinoa in a cup and soak it in RO water for about 30 minutes. Then I pour it into a little strainer, rinse well, cover with a damp paper towel and within a couple hours they have developed "tails" and are ready to feed. I always rinse them well before I feed them.

applejack

Real Name
Lindsay
I have found that sprouting quinoa is really quick and easy! I put a tablespoon of quinoa in a cup and soak it in RO water for about 30 minutes. Then I pour it into a little strainer, rinse well, cover with a damp paper towel and within a couple hours they have developed "tails" and are ready to feed. I always rinse them well before I feed them.
Hmm, that sounds fairly simple. I'll have to pick up some quinoa tonight and try it

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
I encourage you to try sprouting lentils, garbanzo and mung beans. They sprout very easily. I prefer to sprout each type in a separage container (like the low, gladware type plastic storage dishes). For 1 bird, place about a tablespoon of dired beans into the container and cover with an inch of water. Let them soak overnight then drain and rinse in a wire mesh strainer. Pour back into the plastic dish and set aside. Several times a day, or whenever you think about it, rinse them again. They will begin sprouting little white tails within 2 days. They are now ready to serve and can be refrigerated until they are used up. Rinse each time before serving.

I no longer cook beans and only serve these 3 (and sprouted field peas when I can find them).

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Something I would highly suggest is sprouts — they are very nutritious and beneficial.
Thanks!! That was one thing that struck me in her list - no sprouts. Ekkies LOVE sprouts:)

jerseybella

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
Anoither silly sprout question...LOL...
I have been trying it for the last week or so... I have the easy sprouter. The TO mix and quinoa. Gonna get some lentils today. What makes me nervous is when they are ok to feed.( I know quinoa as soon as they sprout. ) And also how long they are good for. when do you put them in the fridge? So many qestions...LOL...When I sprouted the seed mix, I only kept it for one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.