• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

OMG!! I met an Ekkie ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Saemma she is so gorgeous. Those girls certainly are "lookers" ! :lol:

From here, she looks like she could be a SI, mostly because of the brownish color on her tail. She has the blue rings around her eyes, too, it looks like. I thought RS females had blue around the eyes, as well, but I can't remember. :huh:

Ugh! This has to be really difficult for you. I don't think I could have gone and taken pictures and come home without her!!

Thanks for sharing the pics!
You see blue around the eye?:confused: Must be the camera and lighting.:( I didn't seen any blue eyeliner.:huh:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's some more interesting info. Apparently the Aru (Aruensis Eclectus, Eclectus roratus aruensis) does have the blue eye ring. I don't know if the color turns bright after a year at the same time their beaks turn black(?) According to the other link with the comparison size pics she won't get the bright sunset tail but a more muted one.

about

Wait a minute...I;m wrong and now confused...LOL. According to the list below the Aru is NOT the same as the Red-sided. The Aru doesn't have the blue ring.

The orbital ring around the eye of the female Eclectus Parrot is only present on three of the nine subspecies: solomonensis, macgillivrayi and polychloros. This orbital ring is the distinctive feature which separates these races from the other six subspecies. Once you've ident-fied that the bird has a blue orbital ring, then wingspan and body size of the bird is the only way to tell which subspecies you have. Of the other six sub-pecies, without the orbital ring, only riedeli and cornelia do not have any blue or purple coloration, being mainly red all over. They are then identified from one another by difference in size.
Race Size
Grand Eclectus, Eclectus roratus roratus 30.5 cm
Solomon Island Eclectus, Eclectus roratus solomonensis 30.5 – 33 cm
Red-sided Eclectus, Eclectus roratus polychloros 33 – 34 cm
Macgillivray Eclectus, Eclectus roratus macgillivrayi 37 cm
Vosmaeri Eclectus, Eclectus roratus vosmaeri 34 – 35 cm
Aruensis Eclectus, Eclectus roratus aruensis 34.25 cm
Westermani Eclectus, Eclectus roratus westermani 29.25 cm
Cornelia’s Eclectus, Eclectus roratus cornelia 35.50 cm
Riedeli’s Eclectus, Eclectus roratus riedeli 29.25 cm
Biaki Eclectus, Eclectus roratus biaki

THanks and :eek::eek::eek: I am not sure now...

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's another video. I love this one.:)

CityGirl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carol
You see blue around the eye?:confused: Must be the camera and lighting.:( I didn't seen any blue eyeliner.:huh:
Ahemmm! :o: Now that I've actually been able to watch the video, I see she doesn't have the blue. The photos, however (on my monitor), looked like she has blue around her eyes... Also, seeing her stretched out, I think her red and blue coloring is not proportioned the same as an SI.

She sure is beautiful... I promised myself no matter how much I liked the ekkie's coloring, I would have to decide which I'd get 'cause I wouldn't be getting two. In my case, I didn't have time to think about it.... it was a good thing. In the end, it's not the outside (even with birdies) that makes a relationship! :heart:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
She looks like she wanted you to scratch her head at the end of that third clip..

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
ONe thing that I was really amazed by is that she seemed much LONGER than Emma and quite lighter too.:huh: She's still on 2 feedings a day 40 cc each.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
How the heck did you come home WITHOUT her!! :faint:
I want her now :heart:

Picture her on a Rosie swing :wow:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How the heck did you come home WITHOUT her!! :faint:
I want her now :heart:

Picture her on a Rosie swing :wow:
She's not even weaned yet silly!!:lol::rofl:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Her body size and shape reminds me so much of Ruby who is a Vos so this ekkie is (from my understanding from what I've read) between the smaller SI and the bigger Vos. Does the store have proof that she's an Aru? She sure is sweet. Did she let you touch her a lot?

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
pretty pretty girl :heart:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Her body size and shape reminds me so much of Ruby who is a Vos so this ekkie is (from my understanding from what I've read) between the smaller SI and the bigger Vos. Does the store have proof that she's an Aru? She sure is sweet. Did she let you touch her a lot?
Yup!! She was perched on me the whole time that I did not have the camera on her. It was like "perching" on me was the most natural thing for her to be doing at that moment. I touched her beak alot with my nose and scratched her head.. It was very nice and I didn't feel scared one bit of her. :dance5: She also has very pretty feet. .. like Emma and Sachi.:heart:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In the Grand scheme of things.. is it very important for me to know what type of Eclectus she is?:confused: I'm getting very confused from reading on the different sites and....:o:

Last edited:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha

Yup!! She was perched on me the whole time that I did not have the camera on her. It was like "perching" on me was the most natural thing for her to be doing at that moment. I touched her beak alot with my nose and scratched her head.. It was very nice and I didn't feel scared one bit of her. :dance5: She also has very pretty feet. .. like Emma and Sachi.:heart:
Sounds to me like someone has made her decision already.... :hehe:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
wOw, Saemma. She sure is a beauty! I can't tell what type of ekkie she is, as I am no expert at all, and besides the size, they all look so similar to me.

I just wanted to share an experience about a female ekkie that my friend had. They brought her home because they said she was the sweetest thing. They could hold her upside down and pet her and she was as cuddly as any bird they'd ever met. They brought her home,and something changed. They said it might have been after she was startled by some other flock members. I don't know why or what, but less than a week after, they were no longer able to handle her at all. They have to use a stick to get her to step up. They say she's like a totally different bird. I saw the bite marks all over his hand to prove it. When I went over, she looked fine, and she did step up on me. She seemed friendly enough and was sitting nicely on my hand. Then all of a sudden without one hint of warning, she bit me! It was the first time I got bitten by a parrot before. I posted it on this forum. It bled and got all swollen so I couldn't take my ring off my finger. Anyway, I'm not saying AT ALL that this bird will be the same. But it was just an experience to share. Perhaps any other species could have done the same thing, but the new owners say she's like a completely different bird from the one they first met....and the change was all in the space of a week.

Now, I would take a deep breath and just consider again how bringing her home will affect your life and your present birds and you. I wish I had that crystal ball to have you peer into for some insight. But one thing I can promise you is that things will not be the same in your home, for better or for worse! But being the great parront that you are, whatever you decide will turn out okay. Go with your heart and your mind.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
she is gorgeous, it has to be a tough decision for you

:hug8:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
wOw, Saemma. She sure is a beauty! I can't tell what type of ekkie she is, as I am no expert at all, and besides the size, they all look so similar to me.
I just wanted to share an experience about a female ekkie that my friend had. They brought her home because they said she was the sweetest thing. They could hold her upside down and pet her and she was as cuddly as any bird they'd ever met. They brought her home,and something changed. They said it might have been after she was startled by some other flock members. I don't know why or what, but less than a week after, they were no longer able to handle her at all. They have to use a stick to get her to step up. They say she's like a totally different bird. I saw the bite marks all over his hand to prove it. When I went over, she looked fine, and she did step up on me. She seemed friendly enough and was sitting nicely on my hand. Then all of a sudden without one hint of warning, she bit me! It was the first time I got bitten by a parrot before. I posted it on this forum. It bled and got all swollen so I couldn't take my ring off my finger. Anyway, I'm not saying AT ALL that this bird will be the same. But it was just an experience to share. Perhaps any other species could have done the same thing, but the new owners say she's like a completely different bird from the one they first met....and the change was all in the space of a week.

Now, I would take a deep breath and just consider again how bringing her home will affect your life and your present birds and you. I wish I had that crystal ball to have you peer into for some insight. But one thing I can promise you is that things will not be the same in your home, for better or for worse! But being the great parront that you are, whatever you decide will turn out okay. Go with your heart and your mind.
Yikes!:omg: Sure sounds like it isn't easy to read Eclectus behaviour:(. Do they still have her and is she adapting nicely to their household?:huh:

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
In the Grand scheme of things.. is it very important for me to know what type of Eclectus she is?:confused: I'm getting very confused from reading on the different sites and....:o:
I will know more tomorrow but apparently she's a
Aruensis or Polychloros. She comes from Ontario.
Guess I'm a bit confused. :p Was it the store that told you she was an Aru? They have no records on her? Whatever sub-species she turns out to be she is still an ekkie female which means she MAY become a handful when she becomes hormonal or she may not. Her sweet personality MAY then change to being maybe not so sweet or she can turn completely into a bird you have to be very careful how you interact with. If that's the case she may turn back into her sweet self when the worst of the hormones subside or she may change permanently. There is no way of knowing until it happens, not unlike many other bird species. Before hormones set in Ruby used to be able to be held safely by anyone at any time, even young children. Now I am the only one except other bird people who can hold her. She has not changed at all towards me and is as sweet as ever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.