• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

OMG!! I met an Ekkie ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaBirdMom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Janet
This is what makes a very good bird parront. Weighing all sides and taking seriously the present home dynamics and how adding another fid will effect that. You can always rethink it in the future. I applaud you.
I second what Marie said. :hug8:

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I didn't get a chance to reply earlier to this thread, but I think you made the right decision for you, Emma, and Sachi as well. The girls love the time you spend with them, and that is definitely the reason they are the way they are. Sweet and loving birds. :)

Cory

Real Name
Cory

This is what makes a very good bird parront. Weighing all sides and taking seriously the present home dynamics and how adding another fid will effect that. You can always rethink it in the future. I applaud you.
I third this quote. Good for you for doing what is right for your flock. :) :hug8:

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Saemma ..

Extremely well said.

Many people make decisions with their hearts, instead of their heads, I know I have. It's a hard thing, saying no to something your heart wants, but your head says "not a great idea".

Only you know what you can, and can't handle, and what is good for home and your existing birds.

Perhaps .. another time .. there are always birds out there!

QUOTE=Saemma;230831]After much reflection and discussing this as a "couple", we have decided not to introduce the baby ekkie to our flock. I truly don't feel that I know enough about this species.. to feel comfortable to take on that challenge. It was super exciting to meet her but I also cannot disregard some of the "reality check" threads I have read from other female Eclectus owners. My thought process.. is .. would I be able to "handle the worst case scenario?". At this point in time, I would have to say a firm no. :([/QUOTE]

I must add that another part that weighs very heavily on my mind .. is how this would affect my existing flock. For those who have seen my videos of Emma and Sachi....it is not by "coincidence" that they are the way they appear in pictures and video. We've put ALOT of time and effort in our care with them. There are merely 24 hours in a day and I don't have unlimited amounts of time either. No matter how you dice it.. adding a 3rd parrot would take away existing time from Emma and Sachi too.:(

Jadie

Real Name
Jade
Your doing what you feel is best,your a great parront Saemma!:hug8: Like I always say what is mean't to be will be.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Sound reasoning, Saemma! Things are so good for you now, and that remains secure with your decision. :heart:

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis

:iagree:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
After much reflection and discussing this as a "couple", we have decided not to introduce the baby ekkie to our flock. I truly don't feel that I know enough about this species.. to feel comfortable to take on that challenge. It was super exciting to meet her but I also cannot disregard some of the "reality check" threads I have read from other female Eclectus owners. My thought process.. is .. would I be able to "handle the worst case scenario?". At this point in time, I would have to say a firm no. :(
I must add that another part that weighs very heavily on my mind .. is how this would affect my existing flock. For those who have seen my videos of Emma and Sachi....it is not by "coincidence" that they are the way they appear in pictures and video. We've put ALOT of time and effort in our care with them. There are merely 24 hours in a day and I don't have unlimited amounts of time either. No matter how you dice it.. adding a 3rd parrot would take away existing time from Emma and Sachi too.:(
I think you made a very wise decision!! :hug8:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you to all of you for being very understanding. On a side note I received confirmation that she is a Red Sided Eclectus.:)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Mystery solved. :D

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
I understand, you made the right choice:)

CityGirl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carol
After much reflection and discussing this as a "couple", we have decided not to introduce the baby ekkie to our flock..... My thought process.. is .. would I be able to "handle the worst case scenario?". At this point in time, I would have to say a firm no. :(
I must add that another part that weighs very heavily on my mind .. is how this would affect my existing flock..... We've put ALOT of time and effort in our care with them. ...No matter how you dice it.. adding a 3rd parrot would take away existing time from Emma and Sachi too.:(
Saemma, you did the right thing and listened to your heart. :heart: I'm sure it was a difficult decision for you, but in the end you decided to do what was best for your flock. Very admirable of you. You realized your limits, which shows how much you care about your fids' well being!

:hug8:

Vega

Real Name
Joni
SO after reading 14 pages I'm happy to see an outcome! I give you a ton of credit for fully thinking this through and not just jumping on a decision. I'm happy to be surrounded by sound parronts and not "look how cute" owners. I'm also relieved that members gave reality checks and encouragement to learn more.

This is a wonderful site.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Oh yes, totally agree. You made the right choice for your flock and family :):hug8:

I wish many people who get in over their heads were able to think like you!!:hug8:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
After much reflection and discussing this as a "couple", we have decided not to introduce the baby ekkie to our flock. I truly don't feel that I know enough about this species.. to feel comfortable to take on that challenge. It was super exciting to meet her but I also cannot disregard some of the "reality check" threads I have read from other female Eclectus owners. My thought process.. is .. would I be able to "handle the worst case scenario?". At this point in time, I would have to say a firm no. :(
Good for you for putting so much thought into it and for making the best choice for you and and your girls:) Of course, you could always just send Sachi here......................:heart:

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
i have read this thread for the first time,and there is SO much valuable info in it,but i do have a pos solution to people who are wanting a Ekie but are afraid of what they will grow up to be....ADOPT....i have FANTASTIC adult Ekies that come in(5 to 8 yrs old)i KNOW all about their personalitys before they leave..i have placed some of the sweetest Ekies ever..and some not so sweet but the adopters KNEW what the personality was of each bird and it has stayed that way,so in this way adoption is a HUGE plus..just wanted to add another angle

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:) Thanks Tanya for the valuable info. :)

pawmaniatech

Moving in
Real Name
APRIL
:D It is love at first sight! I saw one 10 years ago and its the only parrot I have ever wanted! So much grace and beauty. I hope I will be getting one soon.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
This in an old thread but can't deny it, ekkies are indeed pretty incredible!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
i have read this thread for the first time,and there is SO much valuable info in it,but i do have a pos solution to people who are wanting a Ekie but are afraid of what they will grow up to be....ADOPT....i have FANTASTIC adult Ekies that come in(5 to 8 yrs old)i KNOW all about their personalitys before they leave..i have placed some of the sweetest Ekies ever..and some not so sweet but the adopters KNEW what the personality was of each bird and it has stayed that way,so in this way adoption is a HUGE plus..just wanted to add another angle
I can't agree with this more and just wanted to say that I got to spend some time with Tanya's personal Ekkies and they were absolutely fantastic! Even her female was just the sweetest little girl I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. I love the idea of getting an older bird with a personality that is already in place...you know what you're getting!:) Thanks Tanya for doing such an incredible job!

Status
Not open for further replies.