• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Old toys - safe? sanitizing methods?

corvidares

Sitting on the front steps
Hiya! So, I have a lot of toys and such from when I had my cockatiel, Joy. Tragically, she passed suddenly under mysterious circumstances 4 years ago. (She went to a vet right before it happened and he wasn't able to identify an issue)
So, since I don't know what happened or if it was infectious, I want to be safe when it comes to reusing old stuff like the cage, perches, etc. I know how to sanitize most things, but toys are a bit of a gray area. First of all, do I even need to after all this time? I would think yes, erring on the side of caution, since I don't know what happened. But how would I even do that with these rope and cardboard and wood things?? Or should I just give in, and throw them away?

Last edited:

CodaCola

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Coda
To be safe I would personally throw anything away that yoy cannot sanitize well. You should probably need to clean everything really well just incase it was infectious. We don't want anyone else getting sick..

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! I would like to begin by saying that I am sorry for your loss. As for your question, without a definitive cause of death, I would personally throw out anything porous, and then disinfect everything else with F-10.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
4 years is a long time for anything infectious to survive, but a lot depends on how it was stored. Possiblity of mold would be one reason to use a product like F10 that kills bacteria, viruses, and molds.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign: I normally clean my toys with dawn and the rinse well then soak in F-10 and rinse well then I let them air dry :cool:

corvidares

Thank you guys for the cleaning method tips!
I think I'll decide on a case-by-case basis when I go through them. I'm.. honestly not sure how they're stored. (memories from that time are kind of fuzzy). So if they're gross looking or objects that soap/cleaner would obviously ruin, I'll just chuck them. I wish I could get the cage outside to spray down with the hose (alongside F-10 of course) but it might be more hassle than it's worth.. porch stairs n all. Though if I recall correctly, the cage can be lifted off of the rollers.
Either way, I already have a lot of the things I need for when a new bird enters my life, so I'm okay with expenses going to new toys and such.
Thanks for the warm welcome, also :D

corvidares

Hi guys! This is, obviously, an old thread, but I am now getting ready to clean things and.. can't find F-10 for sale anywhere? On Amazon it says it won't ship to me. (or to anywhere nearby). Anyone have any links where I can buy a bottle? Preferably around 200ml, not the huge ones.
Or, suggestions/links to something equivalent would be great! I know F-10 is the best, though.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Hi guys! This is, obviously, an old thread, but I am now getting ready to clean things and.. can't find F-10 for sale anywhere? On Amazon it says it won't ship to me. (or to anywhere nearby). Anyone have any links where I can buy a bottle? Preferably around 200ml, not the huge ones.
Or, suggestions/links to something equivalent would be great! I know F-10 is the best, though.
Where abouts are you ? Might help us found one for you ?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Do you have a dishwasher I now put all my perches in dishwasher and plastic toys rope perches etc

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If you share your country then we can help you locate F10SC- no use me giving you a link for an Aus store if you are in the US or the UK

corvidares

If you share your country then we can help you locate F10SC- no use me giving you a link for an Aus store if you are in the US or the UK
Oh, true - I forgot, haha. I'm in the US!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@Mizzely can you help? Where can @corvidares get F10SC in the US? They say they have had trouble finding it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Pure Clean Bio is supposed to be the USA distributor. They are all out of stock which is probably trickling down to the other places we usually get it.

F10 is highly regarded in the reptile keeping community as well (honestly more so even than birds I would wager), so often looking for reptile supply shops nets better results. I've bought supplies from here before:

This is the website for the Amazon seller that has it in stock, might be worth trying to buy it directly:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Pure Clean Bio is supposed to be the USA distributor. They are all out of stock which is probably trickling down to the other places we usually get it.

F10 is highly regarded in the reptile keeping community as well (honestly more so even than birds I would wager), so often looking for reptile supply shops nets better results. I've bought supplies from here before:

This is the website for the Amazon seller that has it in stock, might be worth trying to buy it directly:

I use it for my reptiles when I run out I just go to my dads same for millet :rofl:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Thanks all! I had it listed on Amazon to get some this week, but hadn't seen that notice they wouldn't ship to "my delivery location"
It was there though. :(
I'd been able to get it on ebay the last 2 times but there is none there.
I was able to order from Kwikpets just now.

corvidares

Yeah, the amazon listings all say "can't deliver"! It was the first thing I checked.
Thank you for all the links + info, @Mizzely ! I just ordered some from Kwikpets directly.
Hopefully it gets here so I can clean the cage before next Wednesday, when I go in to volunteer at my local shelter. And, hopefully, I can walk out having adopted a pair of doves. :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That is weird. I ordered it from Amazon in September, but now it is no longer deliverable to my area either.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
That is weird. I ordered it from Amazon in September, but now it is no longer deliverable to my area either.
It’s probably considered a hazardous liquid. Or maybe it’s now not shippable because it’s winter and could freeze and burst the bottles?

If I have an old toy with no plastic or meltable stuff, I wash and clean it and then bake it at 200 F in my oven for a couple hours. Kind of like a substitute autoclave to kill germs; not quite as good but pretty effective for most things. This works great for washing and then drying nice natural wood perches when someone (like my late, ancient Quaker) gets an infection.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It’s probably considered a hazardous liquid. Or maybe it’s now not shippable because it’s winter and could freeze and burst the bottles?
I doubt the hazard part as I purchased it in September from Amazon without issue, and they are still selling it. As for freezing, while it is possible, they sell and ship hundreds, if not thousands, of liquid items/foods/drinks, so I do not think that that would be the reason either, but I suppose that it is a possibility.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder