• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Oh no, we adopted it, but what do we do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I am stunned by all the response and support. Everyone is so nice.

Kelly says Good Girl and makes peacock sounds.
Won't play with with large toys but snagged a small one I had taken away.
I will make her some small ones with sturdy pieces tonight.
She hasn't been loud, and moves very very slowly.
I got her to take 3 almonds from my hand.

My husband seems to scare her. That is very odd as most animals and children trust him on sight.

She tries to run if you try and hand her anything from above chest level.
Anything coming down towards her head freaks her out. If you lift it up towards her from the floor she will take it. You can't move hands around above her head at all without her panic responce. I wonder if an animal used to jump on her cage or something fell on it at one time or something.

She doesn't seem scared of the cat. Our cat doesn't want anything to do with her though:D

These are really great observations, good for you. By observing her and figuring how what she is and is not comfortable with you can avoid doing things that upset her and slowly build some trust. So excellent. Maybe if Kelly says good girl she's a girl;)

Big.Green.Chicken

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
She is set up in a cage that is smaller then what I would normally put her in, but that is sold as being an amazon/Too cage. (We got it as a large cage for our conure).

After a breakfast of zupreme fruit blend pellets, fresh veggies & fruit, and a few nuts, she stepped up on her basket. I put a bunch of foot toys next to her basket and set it on our bed. She spent the day on the basket chewing foot toys. She likes watching nature programs. She never stepped of the basket. She doesn't make much noise, and is very slow moving. When someone walks into the room suddenly she growls. My husband has started calling her our Big Green Bear, or Kelly Bear, or KelBear, KBear, so who knows what her name will end up;)

We haven't even tried to touch her body. We know it isn't welcome. When I put her back in the cage she came and hung on the door. I take that as a good sign.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Hi Anna,
Just got caught up on this thread!
Kelly sounds a lot like my Sam Mealy. Mine LOVES unshelled almonds (more of a challenge to get to the nut, and will keep her entertained for awhile), and she also is very slow and deliberate in her movements. If she is anything more like my mealy, keep her close at hand so she can see you. They are most observant and will be sizing you up. Take her out on her basket and offer fresh veggies and treats. She will learn to trust you. Also lots of foot toys. She may just look at it for a long time. They don't gobble or take to things real fast, I notice. It sounds like you are doing great with her. I have no doubt she will become a fine companion in time.
I'm jealous that she talks! I can't imagine mine saying anything besides her usual fantastic bird noises! Keep us posted on your progress.:heart:

birdman78

Real Name
John
She is set up in a cage that is smaller then what I would normally put her in, but that is sold as being an amazon/Too cage. (We got it as a large cage for our conure).

After a breakfast of zupreme fruit blend pellets, fresh veggies & fruit, and a few nuts, she stepped up on her basket. I put a bunch of foot toys next to her basket and set it on our bed. She spent the day on the basket chewing foot toys. She likes watching nature programs. She never stepped of the basket. She doesn't make much noise, and is very slow moving. When someone walks into the room suddenly she growls. My husband has started calling her our Big Green Bear, or Kelly Bear, or KelBear, KBear, so who knows what her name will end up;)

We haven't even tried to touch her body. We know it isn't welcome. When I put her back in the cage she came and hung on the door. I take that as a good sign.
I love the name Kbear. :hehe: Sounds like you all are doing a great job. Keep up the good work. She is deff. lucky to have you all.

Linda

Strolling the yard
Good luck with Kelly. Beautiful birdy.

CKJ

Real Name
Cindy
I just read all the replies to your thread. I don't know a lot about a Mealy....but looking at "Kbear's" picture - she looks sweet & beautiful! I look forward to hearing more about her (and seeing more pictures) ~

Status
Not open for further replies.