• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Oh no, we adopted it, but what do we do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big.Green.Chicken

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
Issue 1- We took in a bird sight unseen.

Issue 2- The thing is huge.

Issue 3- The "white eyed conure" is the size of our cat.

We were not planning on getting one, it just happened. We thought we were getting a much smaller bird. My husband is scared of a bird the size of 17" from head to tail. I am rather uncomfortable with it myself.

We have it now. I can't say I am sure what to do with it. It steps up onto a basket and sits there nicely. We just can't try and touch it.
It was sort of a dump and run. We are all a bit stunned.

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Congratulations on your new addition! I'm sure someone with a big bird will be here shortly with some advice for you :)

M

M.C Bird Rescue

HAHHAHA BREATHE!!!!!!!

Just let him settle in, offer treats from your hand if he isnt lunging. Just BREATHE!!!
EVERYTHING will be ok. He wont kill you I promise. My best advice to you is..DON'T PUSH HIM! You WILL get over the fear eventually. Just take your time...baby steps. He is scared...so just be calm and relaxed, don't HOVER around him..give him space and let him adjust.

Cassidy

Strolling the yard
I got the impression from the post that it's not a white eyed conure since they said it's the size of their cat and put it in quotes, and did not expect a bird as big as what they got.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Mealy Amazon from the looks of it.

Cassidy

Strolling the yard
oh he's cute! Just follow the advice in the above post....take your time, move slowly, and things will work out. Give the bird and yourselves some time to trust in eachother.

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
HAHHAHA BREATHE!!!!!!!

Just let him settle in, offer treats from your hand if he isnt lunging. Just BREATHE!!!
EVERYTHING will be ok. He wont kill you I promise. My best advice to you is..DON'T PUSH HIM! You WILL get over the fear eventually. Just take your time...baby steps. He is scared...so just be calm and relaxed, don't HOVER around him..give him space and let him adjust.
I agree, is it an Amazon! wow deff. not a conure lol

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Yikes! Definitely not a conure! You're quite right about that! Good luck with your new addition!

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
Here is some info if it is a mealy: Mealy Amazon Parrots: Species Information and Photos

They're great birds and a few people on the board have them and just adore them.

It's overwhelming to bring a new bird home, even if it's one you picked out and planned on. He looks like a cutie. I bet by the end of the weekend you will be in love. :heart:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow, that's a nice Amazon. It can be a shock to the system to get a large bird. I know--I took in a huge macaw. But, you will be fine. Just give it a little time. :)

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
aww, Congrats on the new amazon, I am glad you joined so we can help you with him!

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
OK, did you WANT a bird? Do you want to KEEP a bird?

If you do want to keep him (let's not call it "it", because it feels very inanimate), then just take it slow. Do lots of research. Learn that your life will change.

A few things right off:

1) Bird can/do die from Teflon fumes.
2). Harsh chemical cleaners, perfumes, scents, sprays, are a no no.
3). Seed is not really an appropriate parrot diet, no matter what the "stores" tell you.

Lots of fresh foods (chopped veggies), pasta, pellets. There are tons of recipes on here.

You will probably find YOU start eating better because of the bird. LOL

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
We didn't want an amazon because of the smell.
We wanted a bird small enough to take with us on a plane.
We were considering a caique.
Our Big Green Chicken Maisy was a
white eyed conure. We thought we were getting another one.
She was a joy.

It doesn't smell. It hasn't tried to get off the basket and attack anyone so I can't say it is aggressive.

birdman78

Real Name
John
OK, did you WANT a bird? Do you want to KEEP a bird?
If you do want to keep him (let's not call it "it", because it feels very inanimate), then just take it slow. Do lots of research. Learn that your life will change.

A few things right off:

1) Bird can/do die from Teflon fumes.
2). Harsh chemical cleaners, perfumes, scents, sprays, are a no no.
3). Seed is not really an appropriate parrot diet, no matter what the "stores" tell you.

Lots of fresh foods (chopped veggies), pasta, pellets. There are tons of recipes on here.

You will probably find YOU start eating better because of the bird. LOL
They say they have experience. Here is there intro.
http://forums.avianavenue.com/bird-boulevard/9057-new-parrot-opinions.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.