• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Off we go - Round two - Caique breeding

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Makes you wonder if you need to just snatch them right away from the nest and hand feed them from the beginning to give them the best chance at survival. But then again, that may be why some adults grow up and don't know how to raise babies? Ugh, that's tough. I hope it all starts coming together with subsequent clutches coming!
You are a good "daddy" JP! I hope you are soon over run with silly Caiques of all different pants colors! I myself didn't know of green thighs before you.....I always thought they all wore yellow pants!
It may be that hand raising is an issue when it comes to the HR chick raising its own. But this was triggered, I am certain, by a new egg on the way. I've just been in the avairy now and her bum is the size of texas. Cha-Cha felt it coming and decided the new egg takes priority over her chicks. What triggered the new egg at this critical time? I have never heard of such a thing.

Ironically the only Parent Reared hen I have - Soentjie - gave me 3 blank eggs earlier this year. nothing else yet.

Are we to believe that two hens, Cha-Cha and Eva, from two different species, decided one day to ignore their babies calls for food, having responded to those calls for more than ten days? Why?

And am I ( and the AA family) prepared for a season or two of dying chicks while these birds learn how to manage a family?. I suspect this is what would happen in nature.

And, this being Africa, the incubator is not as good a solution as you might think. While power is stable now, we have had many power cuts over the last year. one breeder I know lost two clutches when her incubators died.

Decisions decisions. I cant watch chicks die. I will have to pull them as soon as I think I can feed them

Last edited:

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry for your struggles. I've heard caiques are difficult. Difficult to feed from day one and get good growth. Difficult to raise in the nest too.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I'm sorry for your struggles. I've heard caiques are difficult. Difficult to feed from day one and get good growth. Difficult to raise in the nest too.
I cant argue with you Melissa. Its been a rough ride so far. Never a dull moment with caiques!

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry :hug8: I hope it gets easier in the future for you and the bird parents too :hug8:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm so sorry JP! :(

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I am so sorry.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I cant argue with you Melissa. Its been a rough ride so far. Never a dull moment with caiques!
Don't get too demoralized over it. If caiques are rare in your country, it might be worth it to keep trying. I will say that some pairs just need some trial and error until you figure out what works for them. You might have one pair that just doesn't like to raise more than one baby at a time. That is actually fairly common in some species. For birds like that, if they tolerate daily interference, it might be good to consider a little once a day supplemental hand-feeding in the box and weigh them daily. As soon as you notice number two not keeping pace with number 1, then pull it and hand-feed. Other pairs, if they are willing to keep babies warm, but inconsistent about feeding, sometimes you can get away with 2-3 supplemental feeds a day for a few days until the parents figure things out. Babies might not grow really well on such minimal feeding, but they are likely to live at least a couple days and someitmes that is all it takes to get the parents to figure things out. I had a parrotlet pair like that. That is, if they are willing to tolerate interference. If not, for some pairs it might just be necessary to pull them right off the top and hand-feed from day one. You figure things out as you go. Sometimes the birds figure it out too, sometimes not. Also, if any of your pairs are proven by someone else, they might have had poor parenting skills learned by the previous owner who might have always pulled from day one or pulled babies at a certain age.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Yes they are relatively rare, the GTC is quite valuable. I think you're right. I will have to make a different plan for each pair to manage the risk of chick abandonment

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
6.30 am all birdies fed. Sitting up in bed having my tea and playing on the net. doors open to catch the early morning cool air.

Glance up and see the two GTC 'babies' having a full on ahem 'encounter'

They're ending the old year with a bang

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Well Cha-Cha laid her new egg last night, and then began to eat it. Found it this morning with half the shell eaten.

She's definitely not short on calcium, I've been supplementing. This is day 3 of a heatwave, which might have had an impact

But that's that from Cha-Cha this year I think

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP

CallmeSweetie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Andrea
i really admire you for being so open and honest about the whole experience, hope it cools down soon for you!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Breeding birds can be both heartbreaking and wonderful. I had one cock who literally beat two chicks to death in the nest box. Just horrified. I was able to rescue the third chick of the clutch and one of my other hens adopted her and raised her.

You are doing the best you can and are very dedicated to your birds. Often finding the right factors needed to assure successful breeding is a frustrating trial and error search. Hang in there and keep observing what works and adjusting the environment. Some birds never figure out what they are to do to raise their chicks and these I never allowed to raise chicks again. You may have to make some tough decisions about individual birds, or pull eggs immediately after they are laid and hand raise the babies.

Keep on keeping on, JP and good luck.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Thanks Lois, and welcome back! XX

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran