• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Off we go - Round two - Caique breeding

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Cha-Cha has chick#2 this morning!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
How is the one in the incubator doing today? Any pics possible?

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
How is the one in the incubator doing today? Any pics possible?
Heres a short vid of Eva's baby in my hand, for size reference. hes 28 days old today, and looks directly at me when hes begging for food lol. And his wings have become huge!. A feed lasts him 7 to 8 hours now.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
OMG he's great and knows your voice it seems!
:thanks:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Thumper is adorable.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Yes but I became a little worried about the thumping, caused by him lying on his side and kicking out when hes in the incubator. I began to wonder if he doesnt have a touch of splayed leg. I havent seen him walking much, but then he cant walk with a huge crop of food in front of him.

Anyhoo I fashioned a leg brace from 3 tiny tie dyes and have now limited that leg movement so that both legs stay beneath him, body width apart. Its been on all day. No more thumping, and no verbal protests either.

But he got his own back by closing his left eye and keeping it closed through most of the evening feed. While his right eye was looking at me. A bit disconcerting I can tell you.

At the end of the feed he had both eyes open , WHEW

31 days old with a huge bum, like a miniature Xmas turkey, and only a few white wisps of feathers. No pins yet. Hes supposed to be covered in pins in two weeks! That will be some growth spurt

Last edited:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Well, another setback this morning. Cha Cha obviously did not feed her babies last night and I found them dead in the nest this morning. Eldest only a week old.
An abundance of food everywhere, so why? I'lll have to think about that one!

Her abdomen was swollen yesterday and I began to consider that she may want to lay again? Crazy I know. lets wait and see

Thumper is going from strength to strength in the incubator. The flight edges of his wings have turned blue and pin feathers are showing.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Cha Cha this morning. Clearly about to lay again. But why did she abandon her existing little family?
003.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Anyone ever wondering why caiques are expensive, and thinking of making a profit breeding them? Think again
Here's my results so far this year:

3 pairs, 12 eggs, 2 abandoned nests, 3 dead chicks, one survives in an expensive incubator, and is hand fed three times a day, and HE was saved by a lucky random inspection

Bring on the new year!

Last edited:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
whats an average price? Just out of curiosity
Average price depends where you live, and of course Cha Cha is a WBC which makes her three three times more expensive than the black headed caique. When Eva abandoned her nest I lost a GTC, which is ten times more expensive than a black headed

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Sorry to hear that

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
you must feel so sad and frustrated.
I hope you can figure it out.

Lisidou

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
Makes you wonder if you need to just snatch them right away from the nest and hand feed them from the beginning to give them the best chance at survival. But then again, that may be why some adults grow up and don't know how to raise babies? Ugh, that's tough. I hope it all starts coming together with subsequent clutches coming!
You are a good "daddy" JP! I hope you are soon over run with silly Caiques of all different pants colors! I myself didn't know of green thighs before you.....I always thought they all wore yellow pants!