• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

NOVA Came home!! unwell....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I am sorry for your situation. Now going forward we can hope that this baby makes it and you can live a long and prosperous life together. :hug8:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending good thoughts that the vet can get Nova well. :hug8:

RainbowBunny

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Crystal
I think some people need to remember what their mothers told them about if you don't have anything nice to say....! Since the baby is already at the vet you can't claim that the harshness/rudeness is just people advocating for the bird? From the sound of it this baby would have been worse off with this particular breeder. So how about some of you send out some positive thoughts rather than antagonizing someone who is already stressed and terrified for their baby!!

I hope and pray that your little one pulls through this and please keep those of us who care about BOTH you and your baby updated.
Thank you.. so so much.
So far the vet gave her a shot and shes eating little bits very frequently with no vomiting.. shes in her incubator at home right now I picked her up fron the vet after work and he said she responded very well to the antibiotics ^_^ so im hoping she continues to take that route, shes a very strong little lady and super hard headed -.- she'll cry till you pick her up and snuggle her after every feeding and wont stop till you do so shes a determined little booger <3 and she holds my heart in her little toe... It kills me not to snuggle her but I dont want her out of her bator right now..:heart::heart:

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
We all know buying unweaned babies are not the best decision and we also know that every year this time we get flooded with these threads BUT I can honestly say the OP was very proactive in making sure her baby was taken care of. She didn't come here for advice with 75 different excuses as to why she couldn't go to the vet. She took her baby to the vet and he is getting the care he needs. I commend her for that.

I hope your baby gets well soon :)

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Just reading this. Hope your precious faby is doing better today. :hug8:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Sending best wishes that little Nova will recover fully!

And if I read this correctly the OP was expecting a 6 week old baby, not a 3 week old one who was sick and had missing toes. I believe she went in with different expectations about the baby she was buying, then saw the baby needed help ASAP. I'm quite sure I'd have done the same and taken her out of the situation and to a vet. How could anyone look at that little face and walk away, leaving her to die?

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Prayers and good thoughts for Nova to get better :hug8::hug8:

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
Sending best wishes that little Nova will recover fully!

And if I read this correctly the OP was expecting a 6 week old baby, not a 3 week old one who was sick and had missing toes. I believe she went in with different expectations about the baby she was buying, then saw the baby needed help ASAP. I'm quite sure I'd have done the same and taken her out of the situation and to a vet. How could anyone look at that little face and walk away, leaving her to die?
I swear to you Audrey, if I went to a breeder's home that was raising a bird for me that I was told was 6 weeks old, then arrived and learned it was 3 weeks old, and that the sibling to this bird was half the size of the bird I was intending to purchase, I would NOT have taken home the smaller, weaker baby. I would not have taken the older baby either. How could I imagine I would do a better job of getting this baby to maturity than the breeder? Why would I do business with a breeder who would allow me to take either of these 3 week old chicks???

The OP did not meet the breeder at the side of the road and have the bird slipped to her in a box, sight unseen. It was a choice to leave that home with this baby, who would have stayed with an experienced breeder/handfeeder who was responsible for this baby and who should have KEPT the baby for many more MONTHS.

I probably would have questioned the breeder up one side and down the other on what was the prognosis for the smaller clutchmate, in particular wanting to know why a baby that was only 2 days younger than it's clutchmate was half the size, and would have asked if the vet had been contacted. But would I have walked out of a breeder's HOUSE who was breeding birds to sell with an undersize unweaned chick? NO!!!!!

Of course I want to see this baby recover. I think it is very important for this thread to contain the same warnings we always give:

DON'T BUY / ACCEPT UNWEANED BABY PARROTS

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Oh, this is so sad. I hope that Nova will be okay. I can understand getting there and feeling worried for her safety once you realized and saw her current circumstances. I am sending her healing vibes and good thoughts.

moonchild

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I 100% agree with Kathy, on principle. This is a bad bad breeder that doesn't deserve any business whatsoever.

But I also know how hard it would be to walk away from a sick baby that needed my help. I'm not sure what I would have done. Anyway, I'm glad Nova has a chance now at least. Hoping for the best!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Sending good energy that Nova continues to get well.:angel3: Hugs to you.:hug8::hug8::hug8:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I 100% agree with Kathy, on principle. This is a bad bad breeder that doesn't deserve any business whatsoever.

But I also know how hard it would be to walk away from a sick baby that needed my help. I'm not sure what I would have done. Anyway, I'm glad Nova has a chance now at least. Hoping for the best!
Yes, therein lies the problem. This breeder is unethical and in no way deserves to be making money off such vile practices.

But, I have a hard time walking away and leaving a life to suffer or die if I think that is what is going to happen. Could I do a better job than the breeder? Normally I would say no way, but it sounds like this "breeder" doesn't know what she's doing either (or doesn't care) :( At least I would care and seek help.

All that being said, I would not intend buying an unweaned baby in the first place because I do understand that it is best to leave to those with the necessary expertise, and I would not be comfortable in MY ability to do the job right (OP I will not comment on you as I don't know anything about your skill and experience). I also wouldn't mind it being illegal to sell unweaned babies to anyone other than maybe other breeders. Of course the problem with that, too, is that people lie about their experience and abilities. So maybe it should just be illegal period to sell unweaned babies. I feel pretty strongly about it actually.

But, if the babies are going to be sold, then I want them to survive and be ok. They are hatched and a life.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
BTW Kathy, I totally agree with you that that is what we should all do if we found ourselves in that situation. I'm a total sap though and I don't think I could have walked away if I had been the OP. I'm not always proud of myself for being a sap, but it is who I am, for better or worse.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
You know, we all have heart strings get tugged on every once in a while. I know I got sucked in with an adult heartworm positive dog. It happens to us and for whatever reason we take on these animals who surely need us. We see images on the net etc. I do know that had this been me and it was my bird I was going to get I would have backed out it would not happen. I know when I picked up both of my parrots, Dave looked at me and asked if Hoosier was what I wanted and that was that. When we went to get Kazoo he was weaned but when his breeder came over and showed me the hand feeding formula how to mix it and feed it I was like :omg: I have to feed him? Well not to sustain just twice a day comfort feedings for a few weeks. That was all I think I would be able to handle after driving out there for 3+ hours one way. But this youngin' heartbreaking and I HOPE this baby makes it. So I am sending you my very best and hope that Nova is doing better today, hugs to you as well for all your effort and achey heart. :hug8:

RainbowBunny

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Crystal
I swear to you Audrey, if I went to a breeder's home that was raising a bird for me that I was told was 6 weeks old, then arrived and learned it was 3 weeks old, and that the sibling to this bird was half the size of the bird I was intending to purchase, I would NOT have taken home the smaller, weaker baby. I would not have taken the older baby either. How could I imagine I would do a better job of getting this baby to maturity than the breeder? Why would I do business with a breeder who would allow me to take either of these 3 week old chicks???

The OP did not meet the breeder at the side of the road and have the bird slipped to her in a box, sight unseen. It was a choice to leave that home with this baby, who would have stayed with an experienced breeder/handfeeder who was responsible for this baby and who should have KEPT the baby for many more MONTHS.

I probably would have questioned the breeder up one side and down the other on what was the prognosis for the smaller clutchmate, in particular wanting to know why a baby that was only 2 days younger than it's clutchmate was half the size, and would have asked if the vet had been contacted. But would I have walked out of a breeder's HOUSE who was breeding birds to sell with an undersize unweaned chick? NO!!!!!

Of course I want to see this baby recover. I think it is very important for this thread to contain the same warnings we always give:

DON'T BUY / ACCEPT UNWEANED BABY PARROTS
And this is why my baby isnt yours. I didnt start my thread for people to look down on me for my decisions, nor is this a discussion about buying unweaned baby birds. This is a thread I started to talk to other people who love birds the way I do and have someone to run to for support. I was NOT expecting to be kicked when I was down by anyone and quite frankly nobody here knows my skills or abilities as far as handfeeding or raising goes, so I think its EXTREMELY disrespectful for anyone here to tell me that I made a bad decision, shame on you for being able to walk away from a baby bird, and how dare you down me when its obvious that my baby is doing better now than she was a week ago. If you dont hve anything nice or kind to say take it else where and kindly keep your posts off my thread. I dont think your bad JUJU is going to be helpful. Thanks.

Rabbit

Walking the driveway
I think Moonchild hit the nail on the head. My thoughts and best wishes to both of you. You were put in a very, very difficult situation, went with your heart, and I hope that everything comes out for the better.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
You know, we all have heart strings get tugged on every once in a while. I know I got sucked in with an adult heartworm positive dog. It happens to us and for whatever reason we take on these animals who surely need us. We see images on the net etc. I do know that had this been me and it was my bird I was going to get I would have backed out it would not happen. I know when I picked up both of my parrots, Dave looked at me and asked if Hoosier was what I wanted and that was that. When we went to get Kazoo he was weaned but when his breeder came over and showed me the hand feeding formula how to mix it and feed it I was like :omg: I have to feed him? Well not to sustain just twice a day comfort feedings for a few weeks. That was all I think I would be able to handle after driving out there for 3+ hours one way. But this youngin' heartbreaking and I HOPE this baby makes it. So I am sending you my very best and hope that Nova is doing better today, hugs to you as well for all your effort and achey heart. :hug8:
I absolutely agree that we all have that breaking point, otherwise I wouldn't have ten medium sized parrots and ten Linnies!:) I too absolutely hope this little one absolutely makes it and feel horrible that the OP is in the position that she's in but I also think that Kathy made a huge point that we should all really listen to. Kathy, who has experience raising babies...we've walked through her experiences with her and even she said that she would have walked away from this baby. No matter how much we dislike what this breeder or this breeder's practices, when we are talking about a baby this young, unless we really have the experiences of dealing with an unfeathered baby and have the full setup, please, please, please, try to reason with your heart. This case is over and the OP did what she thought she needed to. I'm just stating this for others in her situation in the future. It takes so very, very much to take care of a baby at this age that so many of us are not qualified to do for them that even a crummy breeder is no matter how we see it.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
And this is why my baby isnt yours. I didnt start my thread for people to look down on me for my decisions, nor is this a discussion about buying unweaned baby birds. This is a thread I started to talk to other people who love birds the way I do and have someone to run to for support. I was NOT expecting to be kicked when I was down by anyone and quite frankly nobody here knows my skills or abilities as far as handfeeding or raising goes, so I think its EXTREMELY disrespectful for anyone here to tell me that I made a bad decision, shame on you for being able to walk away from a baby bird, and how dare you down me when its obvious that my baby is doing better now than she was a week ago. If you dont hve anything nice or kind to say take it else where and kindly keep your posts off my thread. I dont think your bad JUJU is going to be helpful. Thanks.
But other people looking for advice read your thread and this board is about education. We're not trying to make you feel badly about your decision, we're trying to make others realize exactly what happens in these situations. We all feel horribly for what has happened to you and hope that others can learn from your experiences and we all hope the best for your baby. This isn't just about you but about others who read this in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.