• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Not the news I was hoping for at the vet

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
I posted last week about my amazons strange (and only) "symptom" of seeming to have an itchy butt. He otherwise seemed fine- playful, active, eating like an amazon, pooping, not loosing weight, feisty... His appointment was today. Apparently the poor guy has a serious kidney infection with severe inflammation of the kidney:( Even I, with no real understanding of bird anatomy, could see clearly what the vet was pointing out on the X-ray. I feel terrible for him. He is apparently experiencing a great deal of discomfort from it, hence the fixation on the butt area. The itchy butt thing came on so gradually, I wasn't even sure if I was imagining things or not for months, but he has had this infection for some time without showing any real outward symptoms that I would have pegged as a sick bird. I also have no clue where he could have caught this infection. Thankfully it has been caught now and he is on an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory in conjunction with a renal diet. Finger crossed the medications help the discomfort the poor guys been feeling soon and that at the follow up appointment the kidney has gone back to it's original size and the infection cleared. I feel so bad for him:(

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that Kiwi was diagnosed with a kidney infection but it's good that you took him to the vet and he is now being treated. Hoping that the medications and new diet will help and that the infection will clear up quickly and he will soon be 100%.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Prayers Up

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Wishing full recovery for Kiwi!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Prayers up for my little buddy.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Great to have answers and a path to a cure! Not sure how you could have known, birds hide illnesses well.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Wishing for a very quick recovery for poor little Kiwi. Glad you found out what it is and are able to work on fixing it for Kiwi.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Hoping for a quick recovery for Kiwi :hug8:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My goodness. I’m glad you took him to the vet, and that the vet had some answers and helped you. Hopefully that will be the end of it.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Poor KIWi

Good thing you took notice & got him help. We get infections sometimes who knows how we get these things. Make sure to disinfect the cage & perches etc.

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Thanks everyone! I just really can't believe how sick he is without looking it and how lucky it was to even notice something so strange as preening his vent a bit too much and actually have a vet who can figure out in one visit what on earth could cause that. I went in expecting something like an ingrown feather in the region or little bit of a yeast overgrowth or something. Very shocking to hear he has a serious infection and has had it for some time. I'm just really hoping over the next 30 days, the meds and diet will heal his kidney up and that it was caught before it caused irreversible damage.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Birds can get sick and hide what is going on because they are prey animals. If they show illnesses it more likely a predator will attack them. Its most likely an instinctual behavior. This is why a yearly wellness exam is so vital. I hope the healing process is fast and he is more comfortable along the way.

Last edited:

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Birds can get sick and hide what is going on because they are prey animals. If they show illnesses it more likely a predator will attack them. Its most likely an instinctual behavior. This is what a yearly wellness exam is so vital. I hope the healing process is fast and he is more comfortable along the way.
He was just seen by the vet last November for a checkup and was given the all clear.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Birds are scary good at hiding illnesses. I'm so glad you got it. I hope your guy feels better soon and your follow up appointment goes well
:hug4:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:sadhug2:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Glad you got a diagnosis, and hope it's easy to clear up. Kiwi, feel better soon.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope Kiwi feels better soon.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so glad that you were observant enough to notice that something was off with Kiwi. Hope the antibiotics and diet do the job quickly.

@Kiwibird08 Can you please tell us all what the kidney diet is that he is on. So many times we just have to guess.