• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Not the news I was hoping for at the vet

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
I'm so glad that you were observant enough to notice that something was off with Kiwi. Hope the antibiotics and diet do the job quickly.

@Kiwibird08 Can you please tell us all what the kidney diet is that he is on. So many times we just have to guess.
He has been put on very bland Volkman's Super Hookbill mix, no pellets, no citrus, no leafy greens, no animal products (dairy, eggs etc...), no beans, no soy, no artificial sweeteners colors etc... He is allowed any other fruits, veggies or whole cooked grains he's willing to eat though (which is quite a few). This diet will only be for 30 days and then the vet will re-assess how he's doing and what can be added back.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Thanks @Kiwibird08
As a matter of information this is what the Volkman's Super Hookbill contains;

Avian Science Super Hookbill

Contains: Safflower Seed, Whole Wheat, Oat Groats, Buckwheat, White Proso Millet, Small Yellow Corn, Banana Chips, Peanuts, Red Proso Millet, Kibbled Corn, Small Crack Corn, Carrot Dices, Cantaloupe or Cucumber Seed, White Pumpkin Seed, Vitamized Oat Groats, Dehydrated Green Peas, Pineapple Dices, Papaya Dices, Peppers, Pinenuts, Orange Oil (Vitamin C used as a natural preservative)

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Thanks @Kiwibird08

Contains: Safflower Seed, Whole Wheat, Oat Groats, Buckwheat, White Proso Millet, Small Yellow Corn, Banana Chips, Peanuts, Red Proso Millet, Kibbled Corn, Small Crack Corn, Carrot Dices, Cantaloupe or Cucumber Seed, White Pumpkin Seed, Vitamized Oat Groats, Dehydrated Green Peas, Pineapple Dices, Papaya Dices, Peppers, Pinenuts, Orange Oil (Vitamin C used as a natural preservative)

Just a friendly reminder, this diet is being fed under the advisement of a CAV in conjunction with medications for a specific condition. I'd recommend anyone who's bird has kidney troubles/infections follow whatever their CAV is telling them to feed their bird.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks @Kiwibird08

That's an older list. This is what is in it now: Safflower Seed, Wheat, Oat Groats, Buckwheat, Millet, Corn, Rough Rice, Banana, Barley, Shelled Peanuts, Dehydrated Peas, Hulled Pumpkin Seed, Papaya, Dried Apple, Dehydrated Carrot, Coconut, Peppers, Safflower Oil, Orange Oil, Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Banana Flavor, FD&C Yellow No.6. (Not a Complete Diet, supplement diet with fresh fruits, vegetables and treats.)
Don't see kibbled corn listed in the newer list of ingredients but it does contain kibbled corn.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I got the list right off their site.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Gosh...good thing they have 2 kidneys. Seems kidney problems in birds are common...Hope the infection clears & there is not much damage.

Mentions picking at abdomen. Guess birds think they can get at it whats bothering them.
That's why plucking has to be checked out...or any excessive messing with a area of the body.

Kidney Disorders in Birds | VCA Animal Hospital

Volkman & their peanuts!

I have 2 bags of Volkmans African Gray (peanuts, macaroni, pellets all a waste) as Dr FS had a sale. I am going back to Higgins as there are no peanuts or pellets in there mix. So 3 lbs of Higgins is about same as 4 lbs Volmans when you take out peanuts, pellets macaroni & whatnot...

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I got the list right off their site.
This is where I got the list from: Seed Factory This is a Volkman site.
I can tell you that the ingredients have changed since I purchase the Super Hookbill. No more pine nuts and there are soft pieces of dehydrated apple.

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
That's an older list. This is what is in it now: Safflower Seed, Wheat, Oat Groats, Buckwheat, Millet, Corn, Rough Rice, Banana, Barley, Shelled Peanuts, Dehydrated Peas, Hulled Pumpkin Seed, Papaya, Dried Apple, Dehydrated Carrot, Coconut, Peppers, Safflower Oil, Orange Oil, Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Banana Flavor, FD&C Yellow No.6. (Not a Complete Diet, supplement diet with fresh fruits, vegetables and treats.)
Don't see kibbled corn listed in the newer list of ingredients but it does contain kibbled corn.
Confirmed this is the ingredient list on the bag I got at the vets office. I am picking out the little dyed whatever they are (bright orange and easy to spot), but it's only 1 type of grain in the whole mix that has a dye and it's not a lot of them.