• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Not sure what to think.......

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
The new flight cage arrived Wednesday. It was originally ordered for Ernie when I thought he was going to stay a while longer. Instead of cancelling the order, I planned on making a double decker style outdoor cage for Rhoma and Rhema this weekend with it. Plans have changed at the last minute, as they always seem to do.

I took Ernie bird home to his owners the day after Christmas. I took the cage he stayed in at my house, chop, nutriberries, toys, perches, everything she would need to keep him happy. I told her how to feed him and showed her how to hide his nutriberries and make him find them. Showed her how to keep him from pooing on his new flat perch that he loved so much, how to layer the papers on the bottom and just pull up a layer or two every day to help keep it clean, and many other things to keep him happy and healthy. She remarked at how bright his feathers were, how surpised she was that he was letting me rub his beak and scratch his head so willingly.

She was doing great on his feedings and cleanings the last 2 weeks. Telling me how he makes such a mess with his chop, tears up the paper towels and the puff I had made for him, how excited he got when he saw her hiding Nutriberries.....

Well, today I get a message from her. GUESS WHO GETS TO COME HOME TO ME?? Yes, Ernie bird is coming to stay with me permanently!!!! The cage that I ordered for him will really be his!!

I go pick him up tomorrow morning and am excited and scared, all at the same time. Excited he will be with us, excited that my Hubs will have his little buddy back, excited knowing he will forever have good food, plentiful toys, lots of clean space to play in. Scared that she will change her mind because she is in a low emotional spot at the moment due to a miscarriage, scared that changing his environment yet again will effect him negatively, scared that she will change her mind in a month, 2 months, a year......

So, cage is being put together tonight, but only for one bird to reside in. One beautiful, wing butchering, goofy, inquisitive, bath hating, messy, mimicking, laughing, noisy little Senegal!

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Thank you.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
WOW! What great news for you. Congrats to you, your husband and Ernie!

Rolanda

Can't you tell her NO GIVE BACKS THIS TIME!!! It's emotionally damaging for Everybody!

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I have taken screen shots of the conversation. Last time was a foster, this time is for keeps! Cage is up in less than an hour, I will furnish it tomorrow when I get him home with me so I can transition his perches and toys he already has into it and make it a little more inviting for him. Have to run and get shower curtains for behind the cage and the floor, a toy basket to hang in his cage for foot toys.......and I have got to find that bag of foot toys I hid away and can't find now.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats! I'm very happy for you and your hubs. I think that lady doesn't get to keep changing her mind. It's cruel to the bird and you/ your dh.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Good luck!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Excellent idea to take screenshots of the conversation. Hopefully she won't change her mind after Ernie has settled into his new home with you.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:omg: How exciting!
I hope she made up her mind & ernie comes home for keeps. Get her a toy bird that does not need any care or make a mess.

Hope we see some happy photos tomorrow.

:dance4:

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Congrats :)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
So, cage is being put together tonight, but only for one bird to reside in. One beautiful, wing butchering, goofy, inquisitive, bath hating, messy, mimicking, laughing, noisy little Senegal!
I know a perfect word to say now...

♥♥♥ CONGRATS!! ♥♥♥

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Got a little delayed in picking him up. A quick run to open the office for Saturday clinic turned into a nightmare. Someone turned tye sprinklers on and in 17f weather the sidewalks and parking lot were solid ice. Had to salt and kitty litter so patients didn't fall. Hubs got called in for a couple hours after i finally made it home.
He is home now and inspecting his new cage, perches. I used some old and made some new. Still have more to do, but it can wait until he settles in a bit more.
I am so happy to have him home with us! He talked, whistled and played the whole way home!
20170107_155914.jpg 20170107_155825.jpg

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:dance4::dance4::dance4:
Yeah!!!! Ernie...sound like he was happy to be back with you on the ride home.

:bliss::yahoo:

Gosh I was getting worried.
Awful...who turned on the sprinkers? Sorry about all that work!

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
That is wonderful! His cage looks great! Congrats :)

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
OMG!
He looks so happy.
Looking forward to some Ernie home movies.