• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent NostrilsNostrils

Sylvester

Hit the Road
That is sadly true, but it won't stop this bird from dying of a respiratory infection if that's what's going on. Circumstances may be difficult but it is still our responsibility as owners to either find a way to get needed vet care or surrender our animals to someone who can. That's the loving thing to do.
Your and my take regarding this situation are not so far off in terms of our attitudes towards animals. The only difference being is I am taking her feelings and circumstances into account. I wish both she and her feathered friend nothing but the best.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Are you going to pay for it? I believe she is trying the best she can under not so great circumstances. She is feeding and loving this bird and that is a lot more than many animals experience in their lifetimes.
I've taken on sick birds and brought them to the vet. So, yes, if she were in Canada, I'd offer to buy the bird and take it to the vet.

Also, leaving an animal without vet care when it needs it isn't best for the bird or for her. How is leaving an animal to suffer what's best for the bird in any way, shape or form? Especially when there are other birds in the equation. If this is something contagious, chances are the rest of the flock can and will get it.

Last edited:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I've taken on sick birds and brought them to the vet. So, yes, if she were in Canada, I'd offer to buy the bird and take it to the vet.

Also, leaving an animal without vet care when it needs it isn't best for the bird or for her. How is leaving an animal to suffer what's best for the bird in any way, shape or form?

I think she pretty much assured all of us that he/she is on the mend. And give her some credit please, I doubt she would allow the bird to suffer.

And after leaving my cats to die in the hands of veterinarians, some under very mystery circumstances, (one was butchered) I do not share the same enthusiasm you do towards vets. They are not always the 'be all or end all' when it comes to treating sick animals.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I think she pretty much assured all of us that he/she is on the mend. And give her some credit please, I doubt she would allow the bird to suffer.

And after leaving my cats to die in the hands of veterinarians, some under very mystery circumstances, (one was butchered) I do not share the same enthusiasm you do towards vets. They are not always the 'be all or end all' when it comes to treating sick animals.
Budgies are notorious for hiding symptoms, and just being on the mend now doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Ciri was showing massive improvements too, before she suddenly passed away, even after getting a proper diagnosis and care. My lovie was starting to use his foot before it suddenly shriveled up and fell off. They're very delicate birds, denying them medical care is likely a death sentence. At least if this bird gets to a vet, it might have a chance to survive.

I'm sorry about what happened to your cats, but that doesn't mean all vets are like that. She might not even have to leave her bird overnight. Vets are the only people who can properly diagnose and treat sick animals, afaik.

Your experiences, as sad and heartbreaking as they are, still don't mean this budgie doesn't need help. Again, I'm really very sorry that happened to you. What happened wasn't right at all, and it wasn't your fault in the slightest.

I've had a lot of positive experiences with the vet myself. The vets I've been to have been kind and taken the best care of my animals as they could, even steering me away from risky procedures that would have killed my bird but made them a lot of money. There was even a time my mom couldn't afford to get one of our old dogs treated with life-saving surgery, and me and my brothers convinced her to let us pay for it out of our frozen school accounts. There was a waiting period before we were able to withdraw and provide the money, and the vet was willing to see him right away and be paid later. He would have likely died if we waited the two weeks, and the vet had no way to assure we'd pay. (Which we did, in full).

Not every vet is like the horrible people you encountered.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I agree that not all vets are like the one that I encountered. There are only about 40% of doctors out there who should actually be doctors. I would assume the same for veterinarians. Just because one has the money to hang the letters 'DVM' next to their name outside a clinic does not make one a vet.

I know you care a lot about your bird friends, and they are certainly in the best of hands.

Yes, birds hide illnesses easily and I hope that her bird makes it. For both the bird's and her sake.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree that not all vets are like the one that I encountered. There are only about 40% of doctors out there who should actually be doctors. I would assume the same for veterinarians. Just because one has the money to hang the letters 'DVM' next to their name outside a clinic does not make one a vet.
Um...not to be rude or invalidate your experiences, but you literally can't purchase any kind of medical degree or licensure. It's an incredibly rigorous process to be able to put any kind of doctoral degree after your name, and it's one that involves giving up nearly a decade of your life to dedicate to training.

I'm curious if you have a citation for that 40% statistic? I'd be very interested in reading that study.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Um...not to be rude or invalidate your experiences, but you literally can't purchase any kind of medical degree or licensure. It's an incredibly rigorous process to be able to put any kind of doctoral degree after your name, and it's one that involves giving up nearly a decade of your life to dedicate to training.

I'm curious if you have a citation for that 40% statistic? I'd be very interested in reading that study.

I disagree, there are some very bad doctors out there, just as there are many incompetents in any career. The difference being of course is that a bad waitress doesn't have the 'life or death' hanging over her job.

A vet told me that she could remove the tumor off my cat's leg. She was in way over her head, removed too much tissue and he ended up bleeding to death. Instead of admitting to me on the night of the surgery, that it had not gone well and I needed to get him to an emergency clinic, she instead took my cat home with her and then hid out all of the next morning. Nobody could get to her. She has had many complaints, which unfortunately I did not find out until later, so yes, she is a VERY BAD VETERINARIAN.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I disagree, there are some very bad doctors out there, just as there are many incompetents in any career. The difference being of course is that a bad waitress doesn't have the 'life or death' hanging over her job.

A vet told me that she could remove the tumor off my cat's leg. She was in way over her head, removed too much tissue and he ended up bleeding to death. Instead of admitting to me on the night of the surgery, that it had not gone well and I needed to get him to an emergency clinic, she instead took my cat home with her and then hid out all of the next morning. Nobody could get to her. She has had many complaints, which unfortunately I did not find out until later, so yes, she is a VERY BAD VETERINARIAN.
No one said she wasn't a bad vet. But chances are, op probably wouldn't go see the same vet.

Sure, you can argue that she might, but even by your own estimation, she'd have a fighting chance of being seen by a good vet.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I did not say there weren't bad vets, I said that becoming a medical professional has nothing to do with paying for a degree.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I did not say there weren't bad vets, I said that becoming a medical professional has nothing to do with paying for a degree.

That was a very small part of my response, but it seemed to have made an impression on you. I was not inferring that they got their degree through the mail after sending a check in.

Yes, basically you are paying for a degree, and with the rise of college tuition, it will soon boil down to only the rich being able to get one.

Last edited:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
No one said she wasn't a bad vet. But chances are, op probably wouldn't go see the same vet.

Sure, you can argue that she might, but even by your own estimation, she'd have a fighting chance of being seen by a good vet.
No, I would not go see her again, but that doesn't stop the next person from getting their cat butchered by this person. It is very hard to go after a bad vet because animals are still seen as property.

To your second part, Of Course she stands a very good chance of being seen by a competent vet, if it should come down to her needing to go to a vet at all.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
No, I would not go see her again, but that doesn't stop the next person from getting their cat butchered by this person. It is very hard to go after a bad vet because animals are still seen as property.

To your second part, Of Course she stands a very good chance of being seen by a competent vet, if it should come down to her needing to go to a vet at all.
The bird needs a vet. If she can't afford a vet bow, how is she going to afford it later, when this gets worse? What if one of her Budgies gets seriously injured? How will she get it to the vet?

Even if it turns out to be something benign, there's always a next time.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
The bird needs a vet. If she can't afford a vet bow, how is she going to afford it later, when this gets worse? What if one of her Budgies gets seriously injured? How will she get it to the vet?

Even if it turns out to be something benign, there's always a next time.
Why are you worrying about her bird? Damn! I wish you had been worrying about my cat.

Garret, I am sure she is on top of things, she knows her birds better than any of us. Let's give her the benefit of the doubt and just keep our fingers crossed.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That was a very small part of my response, but it seemed to have made an impression on you. I was not inferring that they got their degree through the mail after sending a check in.

Yes, basically you are paying for a degree, and with the rise of college tuition, it will soon boil down to only the rich being able to get one.
You get paid to do most doctoral degrees. But okay. I'm done with this tangent. The bird needs a vet one way or another, period. I'm not going to change my opinion on that, so let's just agree to disagree.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Why are you worrying about her bird? Damn! I wish you had been worrying about my cat.

Garret, I am sure she is on top of things, she knows her birds better than any of us. Let's give her the benefit of the doubt and just keep our fingers crossed.
If I knew about your cat, I'd have been up in arms about the poor thing, too. I worry about her animals because I love animals, same as everyone else here. Once I get my life in order, I'm hoping to go back to school to become a vet tech. It kind of feels like you're trying to argue that I shouldn't care about someone else's animals, but all of my animals were someone else's animals before I got them.

And isn't that why we're on this forum? Because we care about animals hundreds of thousands of miles away? Why else would so many people be here, spending there time trying to help animals they'll never meet?

I still don't believe not getting an animal to a vet is being on top of things, personally.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
If I knew about your cat, I'd have been up in arms about the poor thing, too. I worry about her animals because I love animals, same as everyone else here. Once I get my life in order, I'm hoping to go back to school to become a vet tech. It kind of feels like you're trying to argue that I shouldn't care about someone else's animals, but all of my animals were someone else's animals before I got them.

And isn't that why we're on this forum? Because we care about animals hundreds of thousands of miles away? Why else would so many people be here, spending there time trying to help animals they'll never meet?

I still don't believe not getting an animal to a vet is being on top of things, personally.

We haven't heard back from this member in several days, and the way you and I are going, we probably will never hear back from her. But my point is since we have not heard back from her we shouldn't just assume that she didn't take her bird to a vet. Like I said she knows what is best for her bird and sometimes we need to settle for that.

I hope you do become a vet tech, you would make a good one. And hopefully you will understand that those without funds still love their birds and want to do right by them. Maybe you can start a sliding scale clinic? God knows, the animal world could sure stand one.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
You get paid to do most doctoral degrees. But okay. I'm done with this tangent. The bird needs a vet one way or another, period. I'm not going to change my opinion on that, so let's just agree to disagree.
Yeah, after many many years of paying back student loans. Once again it will soon boil down to the wealthy, if it hasn't already.

On that last part I am in total agreement.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
We haven't heard back from this member in several days, and the way you and I are going, we probably will never hear back from her. But my point is since we have not heard back from her we shouldn't just assume that she didn't take her bird to a vet. Like I said she knows what is best for her bird and sometimes we need to settle for that.

I hope you do become a vet tech, you would make a good one. And hopefully you will understand that those without funds still love their birds and want to do right by them. Maybe you can start a sliding scale clinic? God knows, the animal world could sure stand one.
Tbh I'd just want to go work at the one up the street I took Bull to. All included (medicine, sedation, opening 2 files, the cone, 3 check ups, nail trimming, consultations, the hut I bought) it wasnt more than 170$. I wish it was like that everywhere.

chyenne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
chyenne
That is sadly true, but it won't stop this bird from dying of a respiratory infection if that's what's going on. Circumstances may be difficult but it is still our responsibility as owners to either find a way to get needed vet care or surrender our animals to someone who can. That's the loving thing to do.
Yes, I agree.