1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent NostrilsNostrils

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by Bagpipes, 4/15/18.

1. Bagpipes

Bagpipes Strolling the yard

So, this morning I noticed Snowy's nostrils have soft tissue bumps, I hald her to examine her...AND she couldn't fly very well. I am attaching two pictures and willl try to post a video of how she has been acting. Her bonded mate has been trying to mate with her, and my other female has been trying to peck at her. I have covered the cage partially to see if they would calm down but I am still watching their behavior.
    Does anyone know what this could be? Yes, the other 3 birds are okay.
    I do not have another cage to separate her in.

Attached Files:

2. Bagpipes

Having trouble trying to post the video

3. faislaq

faislaq I have a macaw and don't post enough photos Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Karen
    I'm not familiar with budgies, but I can see the bumps. So you think it's from getting pecked at? Poor dear. Could she have a millet seed or something in there?

Is it a total of 4 birds housed together? I wonder what's affecting her flying, though.

Eloy likes this.
  4. Bagpipes

No, that is why I felt them to make sure it wasn't Millet or any other debris... and no I don't believe the other female pecking at her has caused this as Bonnie, my other female is kind of bullying her and trying to peck at her body. I'm wondering if she has some sort of sinus infection which affected her flying. But I am really surprised that her bonded male has been trying to mate with her when I've never seen him do this before.
    Yes, all four have been in the same cage for the last couple of years and have always gotten along just fine.

faislaq likes this.
  5. faislaq

faislaq I have a macaw and don't post enough photos Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Karen
    I'm glad she's not pecking at her face, but I hope for all your birds' sake that it's not an infection. Do birds pick on sick birds like dogs sometimes do?

TikiMyn and Eloy like this.
  6. Eloy

Eloy Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

J.T
    Yes they can.

TikiMyn likes this.
  7. faislaq

Karen
    From her urgent cross post:
    Just so us worriers don't wonder why she's not responding quickly. :)

Eloy and TikiMyn like this.
  8. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

faislaq likes this.
  9. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    I have never seen anything like this before. I would take her to a vet quickly before her nasal passages are fully blocked. In the meantime keep her in humid air for ease of breathing.

10. Monica

Monica Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Monica
    Second the vet... could be an infection or something going on.

Hankmacaw likes this.
  11. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    @Bagpipes have you taken your bird to a vet yet?

12. Bagpipes

She is better and because I'm currently unemployed, I can't take her to a vet.
    Thank you all.

Sylvester likes this.
  13. Garet

Garet Rollerblading along the road I Can't Stop Posting!

Garet
    You need to take her to a vet. Look into care credit, ask family for help, ect. If this is something contagious, she could pass it on to all your other birds.

If you can't provide their basic medical needs, then there are rescues and shelters out there that will.

Lady Jane likes this.
  14. Monica

Monica Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Monica
    Can't easily get CareCredit if you don't have a decent enough paying job.... been there, done that myself.... likewise, I've sold off items I didn't want to to have some money to a bird of mine to the vet.

If you are lucky, you might be able to find a vet willing to take payments, although those can be few and hard to find since so many have been burned by that. Is there any way you could raise the money or ask someone for help getting her in?

Sylvester likes this.
  15. Sylvester

Sylvester Sprinting down the street

I wonder if a veterinarian school could help out?

Lady Jane and faislaq like this.
  16. Sylvester

She can't take her to a vet because of her money situation. I know how that feels for I have blown large holes through my savings for feline medical care.

17. faislaq

Karen

I'm glad she is better. :smileflower:

Sylvester likes this.
  18. Garet

Garet Rollerblading along the road I Can't Stop Posting!

Garet
    That doesn't negate the fact that her animal needs vet care, one way or the other.

Eloy, Lady Jane and enigma731 like this.
  19. Sylvester

Are you going to pay for it? I believe she is trying the best she can under not so great circumstances. She is feeding and loving this bird and that is a lot more than many animals experience in their lifetimes.

Jas likes this.
  20. enigma731

enigma731 Sprinting down the street

That is sadly true, but it won't stop this bird from dying of a respiratory infection if that's what's going on. Circumstances may be difficult but it is still our responsibility as owners to either find a way to get needed vet care or surrender our animals to someone who can. That's the loving thing to do.

Lady Jane and Garet like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)