• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent NostrilsNostrils

Bagpipes

Walking the driveway
So, this morning I noticed Snowy's nostrils have soft tissue bumps, I hald her to examine her...AND she couldn't fly very well. I am attaching two pictures and willl try to post a video of how she has been acting. Her bonded mate has been trying to mate with her, and my other female has been trying to peck at her. I have covered the cage partially to see if they would calm down but I am still watching their behavior.
Does anyone know what this could be? Yes, the other 3 birds are okay.
I do not have another cage to separate her in.

Attachments

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm not familiar with budgies, but I can see the bumps. So you think it's from getting pecked at? Poor dear. Could she have a millet seed or something in there?

Is it a total of 4 birds housed together? I wonder what's affecting her flying, though.

Bagpipes

Walking the driveway
No, that is why I felt them to make sure it wasn't Millet or any other debris... and no I don't believe the other female pecking at her has caused this as Bonnie, my other female is kind of bullying her and trying to peck at her body. I'm wondering if she has some sort of sinus infection which affected her flying. But I am really surprised that her bonded male has been trying to mate with her when I've never seen him do this before.
Yes, all four have been in the same cage for the last couple of years and have always gotten along just fine.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm glad she's not pecking at her face, but I hope for all your birds' sake that it's not an infection. Do birds pick on sick birds like dogs sometimes do?

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
From her urgent cross post:
Hi guys, I didn't want to repost on this forum, but if you guys can take a look at the Forum Bird Emergency Highway 911 at the post , "Nostrils", and have feedback, that would be great. Unfortunately, my battery on my phone is almost dead so I need to charge it before I can do any more responding.
Just so us worriers don't wonder why she's not responding quickly. :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Second the vet... could be an infection or something going on.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@Bagpipes have you taken your bird to a vet yet?

Bagpipes

Walking the driveway
She is better and because I'm currently unemployed, I can't take her to a vet.
Thank you all.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
She is better and because I'm currently unemployed, I can't take her to a vet.
Thank you all.
You need to take her to a vet. Look into care credit, ask family for help, ect. If this is something contagious, she could pass it on to all your other birds.

If you can't provide their basic medical needs, then there are rescues and shelters out there that will.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Can't easily get CareCredit if you don't have a decent enough paying job.... been there, done that myself.... likewise, I've sold off items I didn't want to to have some money to a bird of mine to the vet.

If you are lucky, you might be able to find a vet willing to take payments, although those can be few and hard to find since so many have been burned by that. Is there any way you could raise the money or ask someone for help getting her in?

Sylvester

Hit the Road
You need to take her to a vet. Look into care credit, ask family for help, ect. If this is something contagious, she could pass it on to all your other birds.

If you can't provide their basic medical needs, then there are rescues and shelters out there that will.

She can't take her to a vet because of her money situation. I know how that feels for I have blown large holes through my savings for feline medical care.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
That doesn't negate the fact that her animal needs vet care, one way or the other.
Are you going to pay for it? I believe she is trying the best she can under not so great circumstances. She is feeding and loving this bird and that is a lot more than many animals experience in their lifetimes.

Reactions: Jas

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you going to pay for it? I believe she is trying the best she can under not so great circumstances. She is feeding and loving this bird and that is a lot more than many animals experience in their lifetimes.
That is sadly true, but it won't stop this bird from dying of a respiratory infection if that's what's going on. Circumstances may be difficult but it is still our responsibility as owners to either find a way to get needed vet care or surrender our animals to someone who can. That's the loving thing to do.