• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Night fright

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
Jeeeez... No one knows all the answers that is why we get other peoples opinions... And no matter how much we know something or someone there is always room for change and improvment.
I just hope you don't end up regreting your choices.
I dont mind people posting their opinions but just because somebody suggests something dosent mean I have to get up and actually do it.

alicat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ali
I personally think keeping them cageless at night if they have frights is a little selfish on your part.. you're so caught up on them being cage free that I don't think you're taking their best interests at heart. If one night he flew full speed into a wall and broke his neck would you regret them not sleeping in cages? if it messes up their tail feathers, let them out as soon as they wake up. just have them sleep in there.

id rather have Piper fly into her cage door with no speed, then at a wall full speed. and you say he doesn't fly full speed but you can't guarantee that he's never ever going to. if something spooks him enough to have a night fright, he's gonna try to get away as fast as possible. he might not be your lazy slow bird, he'll just be thinking he's under attack.

js. that's just my opinion

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
I didnt say hes lazy.It dosent mess feathers up they break and bleed which is not good.Its impossible to let them out as soon as they wake up obviously I dont wake up when the sun rises.And yes of course I would regret it but I know its not gonna happen and if it did happen I would see it before it happens to stop it from happening.Anyways if he did fly fast he can see so he will know where he is going and is not gonna hit a wall.

alicat

Real Name
Ali
I didnt say hes lazy.It dosent mess feathers up they break and bleed which is not good.Its impossible to let them out as soon as they wake up obviously I dont wake up when the sun rises.And yes of course I would regret it but I know its not gonna happen and if it did happen I would see it before it happens to stop it from happening.Anyways if he did fly fast he can see so he will know where he is going and is not gonna hit a wall.
Okay. You know what I meant. He might not be the "slow flying bird" he usually is. You know what I meant here. I feel like you pick out tiniest points like that but ignore the whole bigger picture of the post. You know what I meant. Sorry next time I'll go back and write your exact words because apparently if I don't you just block out the rest of what I say.

If he is scared he is very physically capable of flying at full speed. It's not like him, but he is able to. You're telling me if he has a fright you're gonna be able to wake yourself up and run to him and dive between him and a wall? I don't think so. It could take 2 seconds.
And it is possible for you to let them out when they wake up. I cover Pipers cage and every morning I can hear her wake up and I wake up and uncover her and usually go back to sleep, that's not really a good excuse.
If he breaks his tail feathers and bleeds in his cage it's probably not big enough, which others have said before as you had two cockatiels in a cage I consider to be to small for my one. However if they were only sleeping in it and you did choose to let them out when they woke up that wouldn't be as much of a problem.

You don't know he won't hit a wall. You are not capable of knowing that. You are assuming your bird will be calm enough to think about where it's going.
Image you're dead asleep and someone shakes you awake screaming, you're going to get up and react. Probably lash out or try to get away.
Your bird will not wake up and look around and decide where it's going. It's being started awake and is going to react.

I feel like your problems pile one on top of the other and people have given you all the advice needed to have a happy life with your birds.

I'm kind of done giving advice since I know there's no chance of you taking it

Last edited:

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
You can never predict an accident, it's why they're accidents. But you can prevent them by taking proper safety measures.

If he's breaking blood feathers in his cage, you need a bigger sleep cage with less toys, perches etc. in it.
When in a state of panic in a darkened room, no bird will know where it's going.

I really do recommend caging him at night in a proper cage to avoid a terrible accident, and to give him a nightlight.

By the way, aren't your birds in your bedroom? You sleep with them out in the same room, what if they land on your bed and you roll on top of them in your sleep? Just was wondering on that.

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
Brandon you need to listen to all of the advice. Open your ears and listen.
You argue every point without realizing the validity.
Accidents ARE accidents. But you can take steps to avoid them.
You DID post about night frights. There are few solutions and you shot each one down.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Brandon take a deep breathe and read what advice is offered. You do know your bird better than everyone on here does but it never hurts to read through the advice and then you make an informed decision about what is best for your bird.