• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Night fright

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
Rocko just had a night fright luckily he wasn't flying fast he flew over to the door and I turned on the flash light on my phone and went to get him and he stepped up and then flew again and landed near my bed and I picked him up and now he is on my bed getting scratches and being loved and im gonna stay up for a few minutes until he calms down.Im still and always will be happy that when he is scared he always comes to me for comfort.I was told that having them living cage less they could fly faster during a night fright and get hurt but Rocko never flies that fast compared to Loki who speeds around the room.I think ill just let Rocko sleep on the T perch at the window tonight since there are street lights outside and he is less likely to get scared again, I think it was the noises from my Uncles house that scared him.Now I need to go asleep.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Glad he is okay! Goodnight. (Or good morning by the time you read this I guess!)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Could you get a nightlight in your room, near where he prefers to sleep? I have one right next to Mimi's cage and she barely ever has night frights now. Before, they were almost a nightly occurrence.
So I'd recommend trying one.
Good luck. :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I also leave a night light on for my 'tiels. I definitely think it helps to reduce night frights.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
Could you get a nightlight in your room, near where he prefers to sleep? I have one right next to Mimi's cage and she barely ever has night frights now. Before, they were almost a nightly occurrence.
So I'd recommend trying one.
Good luck. :)
I couldnt put it where he sleeps if he is not in a cage and I probably wouldnt be able to sleep with the light.He dosent have much night frights anyway he only had 2 in his whole life.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You may want to consider getting a sleep cage for him and caging him at night.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I agree with @iamwhoiam.

It would be safer to use a sleep cage for him, to prevent possible injuries at night.
Also if you have a sleep cage, the nightlight could be placed.
It took a little for me to get used to Mimi's nightlight, but it's worth it to prevent the night frights.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
You may want to consider getting a sleep cage for him and caging him at night.
He already has a cage and another two smaller ones, I would rather him out of a cage than in as when he had his first night fright he was banging off the cage bars and was bleeding but outside the cage he has more space and its kinda easy to see where he sleeps because the light shines through the window.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
I agree with @iamwhoiam.

It would be safer to use a sleep cage for him, to prevent possible injuries at night.
Also if you have a sleep cage, the nightlight could be placed.
It took a little for me to get used to Mimi's nightlight, but it's worth it to prevent the night frights.
I think it would be more dangerous if he is caged he knows the room very well he had a night fright and knew where to go without getting hurt.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
If he flys full speed at a wall at night, he could easily suffer a serious injury. A sleep cage is more limited to prevent such serious injuries.
I would still recommend a sleep cage and a nightlight.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
If he flys full speed at a wall at night, he could easily suffer a serious injury. A sleep cage is more limited to prevent such serious injuries.
I would still recommend a sleep cage and a nightlight.
I wouldnt be able to sleep with a night light and the room is not dark anyway.Rocko never flys full speed even in the day he flys very calmly but in a cage he hits everything and loses tail feathers and what else so thats more dangerous for him.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
If you are concerned about your bird you should do whatever you have to in order to keep him safe, whether it's in a cage at night or if not, with a night light. They aren't that bright that they should keep you awake at night; regardless, you should put your birds well-being first. If he's flying around and can't see, he could really injure himself.

Catarina

Strolling the yard
I'm a fan of giving as much freedoom to our feathery babies as possible but being cageless at night for a bird that gets scared seems more dangerous than good. But of course it's just an opinion.
Maybe you can put him somewhere or with something that makes him feel safer. That usually works with my birds.
Sometimes you have to make hard choices to keep a bird safe and sound and prevent big big regrets.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
If you are concerned about your bird you should do whatever you have to in order to keep him safe, whether it's in a cage at night or if not, with a night light. They aren't that bright that they should keep you awake at night; regardless, you should put your birds well-being first. If he's flying around and can't see, he could really injure himself.
He can see at night thats what I said so he cant injure himself I just said the room is not dark at night.Exactly im his owner and I have to do whats best for him and I know him best and whats best for him is to sleep in the light on his perch.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
I'm a fan of giving as much freedoom to our feathery babies as possible but being cageless at night for a bird that gets scared seems more dangerous than good. But of course it's just an opinion.
Maybe you can put him somewhere or with something that makes him feel safer. That usually works with my birds.
Sometimes you have to make hard choices to keep a bird safe and sound and prevent big big regrets.
Exactly and I know him best best to know that the right thing to do is keep him cage less

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Why post if you don't want feedback from people? It seems from your last few threads you started that you don't want any help with your birds.
When others offer suggestions you shoot them down as you're doing now. I'm sorry I made any comment and will refrain from doing so on any future posts you start. I keep forgetting you know it all already lol

Catarina

Strolling the yard
Jeeeez... No one knows all the answers that is why we get other peoples opinions... And no matter how much we know something or someone there is always room for change and improvment.
I just hope you don't end up regreting your choices.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
Why post if you don't want feedback from people? It seems from your last few threads you started that you don't want any help with your birds.
When others offer suggestions you shoot them down as you're doing now. I'm sorry I made any comment and will refrain from doing so on any future posts you start. I keep forgetting you know it all already lol
Of course im getting shoot them down what am I supposed to do if I dont agree with the advice? Its good advice for other people but its not something thats needed for Rocko.I appreciate all the help I get here but not everything I have to accept.And theres no need to be rude nobody knows everything.