• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, macaws can get used to and like children, but some never do like children. I'll warn you now that you must not allow the children to be alone with him. Kids are kids and macaws are macaws. We recently had a case of a macaw injuring a three year old girl pretty seriously, because the mother trusted the bird. Parrots are more likely to be a one person bird and sometimes will tolerate others, if they are good natured and the other people know how to handle a bird. Just be very, very careful.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do understand that we all to be patient for him to get used to us, new place and environment. So given time and care do you think we can all enjoy his company?

Parrots tend not to be very good family pets in the same way that dogs are. You might all be able to enjoy his company but possibly not all in the same way. Some of you might risk a serious bite if trying to pet him and so your interactions will have to be verbal or non-physical play. Its likely that the bird will choose one person as its favorite and that person will be able to do nearly anything with the bird. It might have another person that it will step up for and that person will still have to watch body language carefully to avoid getting bit. All other people may very well be treated with less respect than dirt. There are exceptions. Also, you have very little control over who the chosen person is. Your kids are old enough, the chosen could end up being one of your children. Or, it could be you that is the chosen and the bird bites the heck out of your kids to the point of bruising, swelling and stitches if they are foolish enough to try holding him.

Skrub04

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lizzy
How did meeting him go?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I think this is the first picture I've seen of Hank (I haven't gone looking...I know, I suck lol). He was beautiful <3

Thank you. Yes, he was beautiful, but his greatest quality was his determination to fight for life. Just like your baby.