• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amit

Meeting neighbors
Hi I'm a newbie here. We are a family of 4 humans looking for a new avian addition . I'm after some advise from the members with wealth of experience here.

We are looking to get a Blue and Gold Macaw so trying to understand whether to get a baby or rehome one around 4/5 years of age!

Any help will be appareciated !!!

Best regards

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I will always recommend a rehome, but I would get one a little older. Then you can dodge the onset of hormones, which has no socially redeeming features.

If you do get a baby, make sure it is a fully weaned baby. Early babyhood with macaws is very difficult and even more dangerous for the bird.

I just saw a B&G for adoption on the forum, but I can't remember where on the forum.

Good luck on your search.

Amit

Meeting neighbors
I will always recommend a rehome, but I would get one a little older. Then you can dodge the onset of hormones, which has no socially redeeming features.

If you do get a baby, make sure it is a fully weaned baby. Early babyhood with macaws is very difficult and even more dangerous for the bird.

I just saw a B&G for adoption on the forum, but I can't remember where on the forum.

Good luck on your search.
Thanks a lot Hankmacaw for your kind reply. The reason I ask is that we have a local couple looking to rehome their 5 year old. They had him for 3 years and now shift change in jobs is the reason I'm told. Do you think 5 years old is too young or too old for rehoming considering he had been rehome once already. The bird looked very sociable and playful with her husband in the 2 videos she sent me.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
No 5 years old is not too young. Just be ready for him/her to go through the start of hormones in the next 1 - 5 years.

I'd sure look into him. Go visit the bird and the home - keep you eyes and ears open for anything that may be wrong. It would be best if you could visit a couple of times - if time permits.

If you have any questions about what you see or hear, be sure you ask us here on the forum.

Amit

Meeting neighbors
we are going to see him tomorrow and may go again if the owners permit, with my son as he will be away this week on residential trip.

I really appreciate your advise. I have read mostly how it's very important to have pets as babies so they grow up knowing the environment and that's only thing feeling me getting too excited. But I have also read how a lot of macaw owners swear by rehoming

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Go visit the bird and the home - keep you eyes and ears open for anything that may be wrong. It would be best if you could visit a couple of times - if time permits.
And I agree. The best way to get all the information is to pretend that you don't know so much and if they say something wrong just pretend that it's OK.
And a 5 year old is a young bird, and try to find out who had the bird the first two years.

Amit

Meeting neighbors
Thanks a lot Eloy! I'll keep an eye tomorrow! Are there any good questions and any I need to avoid asking? Sorry for asking silly things but I would rather be prepared then going blindly

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It's not at all silly to ask. :)

Good questions:
Ask about food, cage time, interaction time, if the bird is social to everyone, if it's clipped - for how long, and try to find out if he is gentle or not and if you can see any kind of aggression.
And also if he's been to a avian vet for an full check up. Very important!
Try to find out the breeders name, and call him/her and ask about the bird, and also Google the breeders name to see if they are good or bad.

Bad question:
If you ask about food, and they say - Pizza, don't ask if they really think that this kind of food is good. (don't offend them) Just say OK to everything you hear. And remember it, and ask us later if their is something that you thought sound strange.

And good luck tomorrow! :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
No such thing as a silly question.
Ask:
What he eats, what did he eat in his last home?
When does he go to bed, get up? (They should get 10 - 12 hours of sleep)
Has he ever been around children, dogs( if you have dogs) cats (if you have cats)?
Has he been to the veterinarian (this one is important)?
Notice if his feathers are good - bad, dull, messy feathers will indicate bad care and possible illness.
Does he get out of cage time?
Is he nippy? Most macaws will probably not take to you right away, so don't try to pick him up.

Can you post the video of him here?

I'm calling some other macaw people
@Macawnutz @macawpower58 @aooratrix

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Get a pen!

This is a good portion of my new bird questions.

Does the bird know their name? What does the bird eat? Favorite foods? Unfavorite foods? Treats? What is the birds daily routine like? What times does he get fed? What are wake up and bed times? Harness trained? Flighted? Does he like showers? How? What words/saying does he use? Is he scared of anything? Does he have favorite games or songs? Does he like the TV or radio during the day? What are his favorite toys? Has he ever been sick? How does he gets his nails trimmed? Does the owner know the history before them? Is there a vet that can be contacted for records? Does he have a certain item that he feels is his that you could bring along? What are their favorite things about the bird. What are their dislikes? Why are they rehomeing this bird?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
What he eats, what did he eat in his last home?
When does he go to bed, get up? (They should get 10 - 12 hours of sleep)
Has he ever been around children, dogs( if you have dogs) cats (if you have cats)?
Has he been to the veterinarian (this one is important)?
Notice if his feathers are good - bad, dull, messy feathers will indicate bad care and possible illness.
Does he get out of cage time?
Is he nippy? Most macaws will probably not take to you right away, so don't try to pick him up.

Can you post the video of him here?
Does the bird know their name? What does the bird eat? Favorite foods? Unfavorite foods? Treats? What is the birds daily routine like? What times does he get fed? What are wake up and bed times? Harness trained? Flighted? Does he like showers? How? What words/saying does he use? Is he scared of anything? Does he have favorite games or songs? Does he like the TV or radio during the day? What are his favorite toys? Has he ever been sick? How does he gets his nails trimmed? Does the owner know the history before them? Is there a vet that can be contacted for records? Does he have a certain item that he feels is his that you could bring along? What are their favorite things about the bird. What are their dislikes? Why are they rehomeing this bird?
these are all very important questions the only other one I would ask is may I call his vet for his records? if they say no then I would ask why?

Amit

Meeting neighbors
You guys are amazing! Videos coming shortly and I will post some pictures later tonight. Feeling more reassured then ever ☺

Amit

Meeting neighbors
Unfortunately the videos are over 1mb . Can I please ask if you can post some pictures of your current setup cage or aviary? I'll prepare myself beforehand as the search goes on in the meanwhile

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Does that mean that the visit was not successful?

Amit

Meeting neighbors
Visit postponed because my son is away on residential trip this week And he made sure we DONT go without him, going on this Saturday now

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Good, I hope your son is schooled on being calm and quiet around birds. Many parrots (macaws) are put off by children because they are loud and move to fast and try to make friends too quickly. A good instruction for a child is to keep their hands behind their back and just talk sweetly to the macaw - do not reach for the bird. That is an almost guaranteed bite. Not a criticism of your son - I don't know him, but important information for when you go to visit the bird.

Amit

Meeting neighbors
I'll make sure he understands this . Both my children, daughter 13 and son 11 are also reading a lot about macaws. They were asking a lot of questions to Macaw keeper in the local zoo over the weekend as well. Mainly do's and don'ts and then trying to test my knowledge on our way back.

Amit

Meeting neighbors
Another of my (mainly other half :p) silly questions... can fids be poop trained? Or basically they will do their business wherever they like?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It is not good to hard core potty train them. My bird pretty much goes in just a couple of places when out of er cage. Al I have done is put papers where she normally goes and when she was younger I would move her to one of those places when she appeared to be ready to go.

The reason you don't potty train a bird is that it can be very dangerous to their health. Some birds when potty trained will hold their poop forever, until they can get to where they were potty trained for. This can cause compaction, infections and all kinds of problems.