• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newbie, question on taming / clipping

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
Love your play set-up! I thought about getting a table top fountain to use as a bird bath but I had one years ago with rocks in it. If I didn't clean it at least once a week, the rocks got slimy. I'm still looking for something because a bowl of water is just not doing it for my little budgie.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Love your play set-up! I thought about getting a table top fountain to use as a bird bath but I had one years ago with rocks in it. If I didn't clean it at least once a week, the rocks got slimy. I'm still looking for something because a bowl of water is just not doing it for my little budgie.
Any bath or fountain type vessel of water will become slimy if not rinse out frequently.
Don't use
Catit bird bath fountain
Catit Flower Pet Fountain - Chewy.com

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The slime is just biofilm.

I don't know that it's all that bad, honestly.... birds in the wild frequently drink from water sources full of biofilm.

On the flip side.... I can't say it's all that good, either. Many (not all) water sources in the wild are turned over with fresh water, where-as our water is stagnant. Even if you were to set up a fountain and have the water moving, it's still "enclosed"... as in, there's no fresh water going to it, and the old water isn't flowing out...

Vinegar or bleach can be used. There are aquarium products that help to break down bleach as well, although still probably a good idea to use fresh water without anything added to it to rinse it.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The slime is just biofilm.
I don't know that it's all that bad, honestly.... birds in the wild frequently drink from water sources full of biofilm.
On the flip side.... I can't say it's all that good, either. Many (not all) water sources in the wild are turned over with fresh water, where-as our water is stagnant. Even if you were to set up a fountain and have the water moving, it's still "enclosed"... as in, there's no fresh water going to it, and the old water isn't flowing out...

Vinegar or bleach can be used. There are aquarium products that help to break down bleach as well, although still probably a good idea to use fresh water without anything added to it to rinse it.
Fountains need cleaning with a brush and maybe some mild dish soap once in a while because when the birds poop in the water, bacteria would grow anyway. During Summer I find the fountains slimy already after one day.

Vinegar in the water could help, it is also recommended to add it in drinking water from time to time but I was wondering how/if it would affect the feathers if the birds bath in it?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I've done vinegar, milk thistle, aloe detox and even a "gut flora antibacterial" supplements to my birds waters. Never at the same time, and usually not for an extended period of time, either.... But at least one bird has usually bathed in that water. Can't say I've seen any negative side effects, but I'm also not taking a close look at their skin.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I've done vinegar, milk thistle, aloe detox and even a "gut flora antibacterial" supplements to my birds waters. Never at the same time, and usually not for an extended period of time, either.... But at least one bird has usually bathed in that water. Can't say I've seen any negative side effects, but I'm also not taking a close look at their skin.
vinegar is diluted and actually good for the skin so I hope it is OK.. I don't know how is works on feather coating though.

EmZee

Meeting neighbors
A bumpdate on a very old thread:

We got a buddy for Morty not long after the thread was last active - Rick, of course (no handy photos, sorry!).

Neither bird has really tamed well. Back when I was working in the family room, I had made a point of putting millet near me, and Morty actually got to the point of approaching me - got onto my rolling computer table a few times, even jumped onto my sweater once! Though his claws caught, slightly, when he tried to move, so I think that dissuaded him. I started working in a different room when COVID shut things down, due to needing to self-quarantine after some travel, then kept that up, so Morty was no longer so approachable. And Rick never did warm to us. We can get them to step onto our hands, with some millet and patience, but they bolt the minute we move. That's our fault, for not being able to spend as much time wooing them. Morty is a brat - he bullies Rick somewhat: yelling at him, chasing him away from the birdie crack, etc., but they are pretty inseparable anyway.

Their lack of approachability has been a real problem only once, so far: we had a smoke alarm scare back in June of this year, and could not get them into a cage to get them out of the house. Turned out to be a nonproblem: the smoke was due to a wiring issue in the furnace blower - so, aside from having no air conditioning for most of a week, all was well (and since the blower wasn't working, the haze got nowhere near the birds). About 2 or 3 times a year, Morty will go walkabout (flyabout?) and wind up perched on a window in the front of the house - nowhere near "their" room - and will stay there for a day or more until we manage to chase him back into the kitchen / family room. I think he gets somewhere he doesn't recognize, and can't figure out how to get home, and panics. Rick is less venturesome.

Earlier THIS year, someone posted on a neighborhood list that they had found a parakeet in the parking area of their condo, and would anyone like to foster it. We offered - named her Summer, of course (another character on the R&M cartoon). Because we knew nothing about her, we kept her in a separate cage until we could get her checked out by an avian vet - we're lucky enough to have an exotics practice not that far from us. They gave her a clean bill of health - and from photos also confirmed that our existing 2 birds are really Morticia and Erica! I still call them "he" out of habit.

Sadly, Summer passed away fairly shortly after that. No clue why; we had just started leaving her cage door open (when we were in the room) so she could join the flock, and she never did - then one evening I spotted her huddled in the corner of the cage. I touched her, she moved a bit, then an hour or so later, she had died. We kept trying to figure out if we'd done anything wrong with her, but decided it was just fate: she'd had the same food as the other two, and was in the same room (so, anything like aerosols, Teflon etc. would have killed them too).

Morty is about 4, and Rick is about 3, so we've got a few years left with them (we hope!). We likely won't get any more budgies, as enjoyable as they've been, because (and I'll start a separate thread on this) we sort of accidentally adopted an Indian Ringneck yesterday! I'll start a separate thread about that.