• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newbie, question on taming / clipping

EmZee

Meeting neighbors
They actually do diapers in budgie size, if you really want to use that. I am absolutely opposed to it but some people seem to like them.....
Huh. I thought I was joking, but evidently not! I suspect that any attempt to put one of those outputs on Morty would result in injury to the poor little guy.

He actually came out of the cage specifically to approach me today; he hadn't had any millet yet today. And this time I got photographic proof (let's see if this link works....).

Dropbox - 20190913_172223.jpg - Simplify your life

He ate for a few more minutes after this was taken then flew back to his play tree. He wouldn't climb down off my hand and onto my leg; I imagine that will happen at some point.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Seems like progress regardless! Very pretty!

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Congrats!! That’s awesome Morty chose to come to you!

EmZee

Meeting neighbors
Wow - what a scary evening / night we had with Morty.

I had to go to the office, and got back at 5:45. Morty was nowhere to be seen. Housemate had seen him 45 minutes earlier. The one time she had opened the door, he was nowhere near; ditto when I got home. So we searched high and low for him - fully expecting to see that he had managed to smack hard into something and been injured (or worse).

At 3 AM, despondent, I went upstairs to go to bed. Just before turning the lights out I heard a faint noise - and there he was, on top of one of the windows! 90 minutes of alternately cajoling, offering millet, playing budgie videos, and trying to herd him into a spot where I could catch him (including bringing out the butterfly net!!) failed utterly. By 5 AM, he was behind my dresser and I had to give up.

3 hours later, when I had to get ready for work, he was perched on an electrical cord between the bed and nightstand. This time, he lunged for the millet I held out. Then I was actually able to get him to step onto my hand as he's been doing lately. THEN, I was able to nudge him into the bowl of millet. And when I started moving very, very slowly to carry it downstairs, he didn't freak out and bolt.

I got close to his cage and then he jumped out of the bowl of millet. Even then he wouldn't go into the cage for quite a while. Needless to say, he's closed up in there for the day - and I think the policy now will be that the cage is open ONLY when someone is on that floor of the house.

I have to say, at about 4:30 I was rethinking my decision to NOT clip!!! (no, I'm not going to clip his wings, but at 4:30 it didn't seem like as bad an idea....).

This jaunt involved flying into a hallway he had never before ventured into. I assume that once he got upstairs, he panicked because he was lost and had no clue how to get "home". Would he have eventually come out from sheer hunger? or would he have let his own terror basically starve him?

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
At 3 AM, despondent, I went upstairs to go to bed. Just before turning the lights out I heard a faint noise - and there he was, on top of one of the windows! 90 minutes of alternately cajoling, offering millet, playing budgie videos, and trying to herd him into a spot where I could catch him (including bringing out the butterfly net!!) failed utterly. By 5 AM, he was behind my dresser and I had to give up.
So. Next time, you turn the light out, catch him, put him in his cage, and go to sleep.
Birds don't see in the dark, easy to catch.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
So glad that things ended well! What a scare!

If it happens in the future, is there any way you could take his cage *TO* him. If you can't move the cage, then a small carrier that's cage like (or even a small cage) could be used. This may be an easier alternative than chasing him. You can even put food and water inside to make it more appealing.

EmZee

Meeting neighbors
So glad that things ended well! What a scare!

If it happens in the future, is there any way you could take his cage *TO* him. If you can't move the cage, then a small carrier that's cage like (or even a small cage) could be used. This may be an easier alternative than chasing him. You can even put food and water inside to make it more appealing.
Huh - that never occurred to me. We don't have a spare cage but perhaps I should get one, or at least a box or something to keep near his regular cage, that has treats in it - if he's used to going in there for nummies, he might respond if the box shows up in another room when he goes on an adventure.

No major updates here; he still won't voluntarily approach me most of the time - though he accidentally landed on my husband's hand once. I think he realized what he done, thought "EEK", and immediately bolted.

He'll do loop-de-loops around the family room one day, then the next day decide to just stay in his corner alternating between the cage and his tree. He spent most of his time in there for about a month between Thanksgiving and Christmas as we had a dog staying with us that month, and it was too risky having him out when the dog was in the room. When the dog was in the basement with his regular human, the cage door was open of course, and we were all very vigilant.

Gotta brag on the new toy I finally put together: I made him a fountain. I'd been trying to make the drippy bit using some stoneware dishes I got at Goodwill but the drilling process was not working well even with a masonry bit. Then I finally found some plastic dishes at a grocery store, that were much better suited. I still need to make some changes - I need to put more rocks in the base, as that'll make the plastic things more stable. I may eliminate the vertical bit (an upturned plastic tumbler) and just rest the flat plastic plate on top of the pump supported by more of the river rocks - thinking that may be more stable (and easier to assemble after cleaning). I am also trying to figure out something with the tubing and some wire for support, to make a "shower" feature.

He was intrigued with it the minute I turned it on: he ran over to his tree, where I'd left a bit of millet, then noticed this thing down below him. Two videos are in Dropbox - in one, you can see him moving up and down the nearest vertical bit trying to figure out what this thing was, and in the other you can see him having a blast with it. I'm going to have to figure out a better way to put it down there and refill it after cleaning as it's terribly inconvenient right now.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
That's so awesome!!!! You should have a separate thread on how you created the fountain for him to help inspire some others! ;)

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
He/she will eventually learn the layout of your house. Our bird banged into walls and had some near misses with windows, but learned very quickly. I have a feeling he was pretty traumatized from all the clippings. In the meantime, I would suggest you make his world a bit smaller with cheap hanging curtains in the archways so he can be kept in one area... ish. I know these open format homes make that difficult. When we have dogs visiting I hang a curtain on a tension rod at the top of our stairs, that way Bubbles can fly around, just not downstairs. I'll also put a baby gate up, one of my family dogs is not allowed upstairs so I only use curtain (the other one has no manners whatsoever and goes all over). If we have a lot of guests I'll just hang curtain in her room doorway. It works, I've seen her fly up to it and u-turn. Another thing you can try is a millet heavy seed mix; just dump a pile in your palm and hold it out for him/her. He can eat on a perch, from your hand, and eventually will hop on. That way he can see your hand isn't evil. We did that a lot with our English Budgie when she was brand new to us. Also, female budgies are "divas" and frankly, kind of bit**y at times. Once he/she settles down you might be able to figure gender out. Also, we have the same bell toy, with the platform and 3 bells "on a stick", Bubbles also used to sit on the space between the bells and platform against cage wall. She eventually regurgitated to a bell. I removed the toy for a long time, then put it back in. She's much less interested in it now. I worried the platform space was too "nesty" for her. She prefers her single bell toy now, she likes to grab the dangly clapper and Ding! Ding! it herself.

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
Gotta brag on the new toy I finally put together: I made him a fountain. I'd been trying to make the drippy bit using some stoneware dishes I got at Goodwill but the drilling process was not working well even with a masonry bit. Then I finally found some plastic dishes at a grocery store, that were much better suited. I still need to make some changes - I need to put more rocks in the base, as that'll make the plastic things more stable. I may eliminate the vertical bit (an upturned plastic tumbler) and just rest the flat plastic plate on top of the pump supported by more of the river rocks - thinking that may be more stable (and easier to assemble after cleaning). I am also trying to figure out something with the tubing and some wire for support, to make a "shower" feature.
That is awesome! Yes, move that small plastic cup thing at top. He/she wants to lay down to "bathe" ie... splatter water all over. I have a cat fountain that Bubbles isn't too sure of yet. Birds love the sound of running water! Bubbles now bathes in a trickle of running water in the sink. Sometimes I have to put her away if I want to do dishes, because she hears the water and jumps right in!

EmZee

Meeting neighbors
The thing I was planning to remove is a larger plastic tumbler turned upside down. It's got a notch drilled in the edge to let the cord of the pump through, and it sits upside down over the pump. It's not really visible in the video.

I think with some extra stones in the bottom (I used a 5 pound bag of 1 inch river rocks), those will suffice to surround the pump, and I can lay the flat plate right on top. With the extra rocks to make the bottom more stable there should be plenty of horizontal surface, though it'll be fairly shallow. I can always add / remove the little bowl to change things up from time to time :)

It's an evolving design, to be sure. I'm trying to think of a way to have enough rocks in the middle to support the plate, but having shallower rocks around the edges for playing. Maybe an inch-thick ring of some sort, about 6 inches in diameter, would corral the rocks enough in the middle, though i'm not sure what to use for that ring. Whatever I use, it has to be something I can disinfect satisfactorily, which leaves out the idea of gluing a few rocks together with aquarium-safe silicone caulk.

Re disinfecting: After round one, where I realized I needed to replace the cheap bowl due to leaks, I filled the bowl with water, added a drop or two of bleach, and ran the pump. Then I drained and rinsed everything and repeated without bleach, twice. I figured that regimen would both kill nasties, AND remove any risky residue.

Whenever I've got the configuation sorted out to my satisfaction, I'm going to get supplies to make one for Morty's grandma (our cleaning lady). What I've got now is really easy, I just got sidetracked with other design ideas.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Love your fountain great idea for others to see. Morty is absolutely a happy Budgie enjoying his personal spa time. You have enriched his life immensely.
:heart2: :yourock:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Look into some course foam. I'm not sure where you could get some round foam that would fit, but flat foam is an option. Could cut it to size and height, then figure out how to make it into a circle. If you have or know someone with a 3D printer, that's an option! Could print out a container to hold the foam in place.

Something along the lines of this maybe?

This site also sells course foam in a "matt"

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
What about a table top fountain? So many style options that would work for a small bird bath. They would be easy to clean.

EmZee

Meeting neighbors
What about a table top fountain? So many style options that would work for a small bird bath. They would be easy to clean.
I thought about getting one of those - would've saved a lot of work, probably been cheaper in the long run, and a lot of them look really nifty and just about ideal. The main reason I didn't get one was I didn't know what they were made of and whether they were bird safe - I don't think I'd drink out of one, anyway :(. They do make pet fountains (Cat-it for one) but some of the reviews say they get pretty grody....

That foam might work. I have a friend who has fish, and she'd know whether it had enough "structural integrity" to hold up to the purpose. It would also, hopefully, reduce the amount of crud that got recycled through the pump, since birdseed seems to wind up everywhere! Other options would be to get a short piece of PVC pipe (4 or 6 inches) and slice it to about 1.5 inches thick, then drill out holes for water and the power cord, or I even though of getting a 6 inch silicone cake pan and butchering it. Heck, maybe I could just slice that plastic tumbler in half horizontally.

The tumbler (that raises the plate above the water / rocks) was intended to give the whole thing some height. The plate has notches cut in the edges - my hope being it would allow the water to flow out in small streams to make a "shower" effect, but somehow that didn't quite work - the water just pours over one spot on the edge. Not sure if that's because the notches are too small, or the plate isn't horizontal enough, or just orneriness :)

I bought some stainless steel wire to maybe support an extended center tube (the water comes up through silicone tubing) - the idea being I could shape the tube into an upside-down J to make a sort of shower. I'll have to figure a way to make that stable, or it'll just fall over though. Clearly I'm devoting FAR too much effort to this, but it's entertaining me.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You could always look in the aquatic and reptile community on ways to disperse the water, too! Or even a garden section! ;) Things that you can attach to the pipe, insert into or otherwise.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I thought about getting one of those - would've saved a lot of work, probably been cheaper in the long run, and a lot of them look really nifty and just about ideal. The main reason I didn't get one was I didn't know what they were made of and whether they were bird safe - I don't think I'd drink out of one, anyway :(. They do make pet fountains (Cat-it for one) but some of the reviews say they get pretty grody....

That foam might work. I have a friend who has fish, and she'd know whether it had enough "structural integrity" to hold up to the purpose. It would also, hopefully, reduce the amount of crud that got recycled through the pump, since birdseed seems to wind up everywhere! Other options would be to get a short piece of PVC pipe (4 or 6 inches) and slice it to about 1.5 inches thick, then drill out holes for water and the power cord, or I even though of getting a 6 inch silicone cake pan and butchering it. Heck, maybe I could just slice that plastic tumbler in half horizontally.

The tumbler (that raises the plate above the water / rocks) was intended to give the whole thing some height. The plate has notches cut in the edges - my hope being it would allow the water to flow out in small streams to make a "shower" effect, but somehow that didn't quite work - the water just pours over one spot on the edge. Not sure if that's because the notches are too small, or the plate isn't horizontal enough, or just orneriness :)

I bought some stainless steel wire to maybe support an extended center tube (the water comes up through silicone tubing) - the idea being I could shape the tube into an upside-down J to make a sort of shower. I'll have to figure a way to make that stable, or it'll just fall over though. Clearly I'm devoting FAR too much effort to this, but it's entertaining me.
Resin or ceramic is what they are made of . I don't think it would be harmful. Budgies aren't going to chew on ceramic. Or the resin . I have a resin budda fountain the birds and peacock outside drink and bathe from it.
20190529_102110.jpg 20180707_135309.jpg

winnieirn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennette
View attachment 306010 View attachment 306011
Late last fall, our housecleaner asked if we would like one of her parakeets. She has a dozen or so, who are self-replicating :), and had a young fellow somewhat recently hatched whom she thought we'd enjoy. She asked us to come up with a name so she could get him used to it and for whatever reason "Morty" came to mind. She said he was a male and I figured even if "he" was a "she" it could be short for Morticia.

Morty is a lutino, I think - pale yellow all over, slightly darker yellow at the top, and his eyes look red (though you can't see it that well in the photo).
Dropbox - morty - Simplify your life He's a bit on the small side, as I understand it, though I haven't seen enough other budgies close up to know for sure.

Anyway - she brought him over in early January. She's a big proponent of wing clipping, she says they are more tractable / easier to tame. Her birds get all over her house - I gather they can fly to some extent. Morty really can't - he plummets to the ground when we open his cage door; he can occasionally get a couple inches off the ground.

He's an Only Bird right now. At some point I might get a second one, but I've heard so much about how 2+ birds pay attention to each other and ignore their humans, so I've been wanting to hold off to try to get him tamed and maybe learn a phrase or two. He's not too lonely (I think); I work from home, so most work days and a good chunk of the weekend, I'm 10 feet away from him and talk to him regularly.

He does NOT approach us or let us approach him. If we need to handle him, it's a matter of chasing him around the cage with our hands, which is terrifying for the poor guy and stressful on us; half the time he manages to get past our hands and winds up on the floor. Holding millet ("birdie crack", we call it) has never motivated him to tolerate closeness; he also does not go near any fresh foods we try offering him - fruit, veg, occasionally a small bit of popcorn.

Birdie crack DOES serve as an inducement to get him to exit his cage; before I built the play structure, we would put a spray on a cafeteria tray on the floor just in front of his door. I hung a ladder from the cage so he could get himself back into the cage at will, which also helped.

He's so far only made it to the first raised level of his play tree - millet helped with that. I've since hung some on the next level up, so hopefully he'll take advantage. Having a rope-perch bridge from his cage to the tree made it more accessible also. I've set it up so that he can get to every level without flying - some horizontal platforms on each level will reduce the risk of him falling the whole way down if he gets to the top.

I had the idea that we should wait to let his feathers grow back (the cleaner has re-clipped him twice) until such time as he was more approachable, but after 5 months he still does NOT want to be approached. Other articles I've read say they will remain utterly skittish until he can fly away and then we might have better luck. He clearly WANTS to fly - he'll stand there and flap his wings frantically, with little effect. Occasionally he's gotten a few inches off the floor but nothing more than that; he can't even glide downward gracefully though that's improved some since his last clipping was a month or so ago. So I really want to let his feathers grow back. I do worry that since he's been clipped since such a young age, he might not ever learn to fly well.

Our housemate is worried about letting him fly when he's still so unapproachable; she makes the reasonable-sounding point that what if he gets up somewhere and we need to catch him to get him back in his cage for some reason.

Thoughts? I'm honestly against wing-clipping as a routine thing, but on the other hand if he's to have out-of-cage time, it might be safest if we can't get him to approach us.
I remember having a tamed male budgie that I got whose wings were clipped and he was older than the other budgies (around a year). When I got him he was crazy wild, I mean he would see us and he tried hiding in the water bowl!
Just time and consistency made him tame and step by step he warmed up to me and even let me scratch his head, but he still had boundaries.
I didn’t clip his wings and I let him fly. He was much happier because of that and even kept landing on my shoulder and head.
A bit later when I had him I thought that it was time for a friend. So I got him a girl. First one I got was super nice and a baby but she died after a couple of days due to her previous owners clipping her wings too short. He seemed a little depressed over her so I decided to go get him another girl.
This one was veeerrrryy wild and aggressive. She was biting my boy everytime he’d try to talk/ play with her. Took her a while to get used to him and she never really got used to me but she limited the biting.
But of course the more time and patience you put in a bird the more results you’ll get out of them. I wasn’t too worried about her not loving me as long as she didn’t hate me.
I say don’t give up on your budgie, let her fly and give your time and effort into taming and you will see a huge difference.
Best of luck <3