• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Pionus parront here. New to the forum!

Wannabird2003

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen Z
Try different foods and toys with your new baby and if he ignores it at first, just keep offering it. Mine will take up to a couple weeks before playing with a new toy. She ignores it and about the time you think that it is a miss, I will find her attacking it with gusto. If a toy is a miss, I deconstruct it into several foot toys which she loves. Foodwise, mine loves pine nuts, almonds, grapes (only the red ones), sugar snap peas, corn, peas, birdie bread that I make for her, banana chips, dried papaya, celery sticks, fruit flavored pellets (only the purple ones) and fruit flavored or El Paso Nutri-berries.

cute_lil_fiend

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Welcome!

Your vid brings back memories of when I first brought my boy home. Miss those beggy, bobblehead days. :p

Komandr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cristin
Welcome, and what a cutie! My 7 month old white cap, Maya, still begs on occasion, but she has stopped for the most part. I think it's still instinctual at that young an age, but weigh him often if you're worried about it; I was told the same thing with Maya because she did that. Now she's a chunky 220g.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
My WC Pi Mattie did not wean til she was about 6 months old. She would eat all her pellets and fresh food but still beg. Of course I obliged and fed her 3 or 4 times a day if she wanted it. She is 6 years old now and times I have had to handfeed baby parrotlets (from my breeder pairs), she will come out and either eat formula from cup, spoon or syringe. In fact, my 11 year old male tiel and 2 year old tiels will beg for formula when I have it made. Some young birds still want that comfort of being fed even when they are eating enough of their big bird foods.

Edited to add: My parrotlets are co-parented. I play with babies and offer supplemental feedings. Only pull if parents are picking.

Last edited: