• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Pionus parront here. New to the forum!

CaneCurt

Moving in
Real Name
Curt
Hello All! My name is Curt. We just picked up our 12 week old baby from the breeder 3 days ago. He is a DNA sexed male, and his name is Darwin! He has been doing great since we got him. He is not timid or shy around us and he eats like a champ! Lol, he begs for food all day long! I took him for his first vet visit today, and he got a clean bill of health!

Darwin is our only bird. My wife and I used to have a Severe Macaw that we had to rehome when our son was born. The bird would attack anyone that was not my wife and we were afraid he would deprive our son of some fingers or worse. Now our son is 9 and after thorough research felt that a Pionus was perfect for us. Let the games begin, lol.,

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Welcome, there are many Pionus parronts here. I have Dobby a Maxi and so far have had a few Maxi's. They are great birds and sounds like you found a happy well adjusted Blue Head. I'm sure the gang will jump in to say hi and give advice as needed.

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Welcome!
He's a beautiful bird! I love the name you picked out for him.
I'm sure you'll have lots of questions as you and Darwin embark on this journey together. When you have a problem, always feel free to ask us. We're here to help!
May I recommend to you that you check out Good Bird Inc for some training tips? It's good to start early. And this way you can be prepared to avoid any behavior issues that you struggled with when you had your severe macaw. Parrot Digital Media | Online Parrot Media
I'm glad to hear that Darwin is healthy and happily settling into his new home with you! :)

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA :)

Darwin is an adorable baby. I love pionus. I have a maximilion pionus named Leto.

Please feel free to ask litres of questions.

CaneCurt

Moving in
Real Name
Curt
Thank you guys for the warm welcome!! I look forward to getting to know all of you! It's only been three days, but we are absolutely in love with our little guy. He stands on my finger, looks at me, and makes this creaking noise while bobbing his head. It's so cute, but he gets plenty to eat. How long will this shameful begging last, lol?

I really have to tip my hat to the breeder. He goes above and beyond and gives you everything you need to acclimate the baby to his new home.

Thank you again for the welcome! I won't be a stranger!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welave:

Lara608

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lara
Hello!

I am a first-time pionus parent as well. I have a seven month old blue-headed girl named Moira. She still begs occasionally.

Make sure you take a lot of pics of Darwin now! Almost all of the red head feathers Moira had have now been replaced with blue. I'm happy to see her grow up but already missing how she used to look!

Enjoy him!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:hi::shakehands:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
he begs for food all day long!
How long will this shameful begging last, lol?
First, it's not shameful, he is hungry. They do beg for a reason, did not the breeder tell you that?
And only 12 weeks old I'm sure that he is not completely weaned.
Handfeed him as long as he wants, he will stop take food when he is ready. And it doesn't matter that it is only comfort feeding, it is still important.

CaneCurt

Moving in
Real Name
Curt
First, it's not shameful, he is hungry. They do beg for a reason, did not the breeder tell you that?
And only 12 weeks old I'm sure that he is not completely weaned.
Handfeed him as long as he wants, he will stop take food when he is ready. And it doesn't matter that it is only comfort feeding, it is still important.
Believe me, this little guy is getting enough to eat. We offer him food everytime he begs, sometimes he eats sometimes he doesn't. I called it "shameful" as a joke because he does it all day long, especially when you pick him up. It almost seems like a reflex..."Oh I am being picked up, time to get fed." The breeder said when we picked him up that sometimes they will beg even when full. The most important thing is that he is not underweight. The vet said his weight is perfect and we bought a scale per his recommendation to weigh him every few days to make sure he stays that way.

Something kinda strange/funny happened today. My wife was sitting near his play stand and was eating some grapes. He saw the grapes and went nuts! He jumped onto my wife and would not be denied until he had one. It was funny. What makes it strange is that I texted the breeder and asked if he gave the birds grapes, and he said that he does not. He had never had or seen them before, yet absolutely had to have some. He has never reacted that way to anything he has seen us eat.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
What a cutie. I've never had a baby, all of mine have been at least young adults though all would get excited and beg if they saw something they were just in love with. Nerd would wiggle and flutter his wings, Lurch did similar even though he was a grumpy boy, Dobby just runs up and looks expectantly at us like you know I want this and you must share.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:fairy2:

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
So cute!! My 5 year old makes that noise still. They never lose their cuteness or ability to wrap you around their toe.

Welcome I have a 5 year old white cap male and a 12 (almost 13) year old Maximilian /coral bill male. Love them both.

Ask us lots of questions. My advice with a baby bird. Get him eating a variety of veggies and practice words with him at early stages and socialize him. And start positive reinforcement methods. Changes will come sooner than you think.

Enjoy. Great pets.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. Darwin is beautiful.

I have a male BHPionus named Andre.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I forgot to add that Andre is about 9 years old.

Perriewinkle

Rollerblading along the road
I'm late to the welcome wagon, but hello! Everyone here is pretty smitten with their pi and always willing to offer advice.

The only thing I think I can add is, when you ask a question or want feedback, you will get it in bucket loads. You will get conflicting information sometimes. Just remember that you know darwin best, and non of us set out to upset you or "hurt your ego" we are all just very devoted to wanting the best. :)