• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New parrotlet

karl

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Karl
Hello, does anyone know where I can buy or rescue a senior or elderly parrotlet? I live in NYC. Thanks

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hello1:
There are rescues on this site that cover areas of NY. I'm not sure how well known they are but, I know that many of them are true rescues.

Pets for Adoption at Feathered Friends Parrot Adoption Services, Inc., in Maspeth, NY | Petfinder

Your other option is to call the local SPCA/ASPCA & they can tell you where you maybe can check. Often the SPCAs send birds they find to a rescue or sanctuary. Here are 2 links that have ph #s attached.

spca in nyc - Google Search

spca in nyc - Google Search

Please let us know how you make out w/ finding a fid!

:welave:

karl

Real Name
Karl
Thank you all so much. I went to the parrotlet place. The lady there showed me the birds. I decided against lovebirds, but was choosing between cockatiels or these beautiful two blue and white parrotlets. the parrotlets seemed skittish, flying around when you held them and the cockatiels kinda just sat on my arm. We will be going back next weekend with a decision as to which bird to get. The lady assured me that I could bond with the parrotlets with time, and they would become less skittish, but they will always be more mobile than a cockatiel. Is this true? Will cockatiels move around at least a little bit? Thoughts on which I should get?

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
It totally depends on the bird. Some cockatiels are perch potatoes that prefer to just sit and observe the world around them, whereas other tiels are more energetic. I nicknamed my tiel Busy Bee, so I'm sure you can guess which side of the spectrum she's on.

She is very active and intelligent. She's almost always moving, unless she's sleepy or asleep. That also means that she tries to get into just about everything, so when she's out she keeps me on my toes. She's a wonderful active sweetheart though, and is worth me having to put things away and get up many times to get her away from things she tries to fly over and get into. If that's what you're looking for, there are tiels out there who are active like mine. :)

Also, remember that you are a stranger to the birds that you met. When I met my tiel, she was more just observing me. I had no idea how active she was until I brought her home and she had settled in.

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Parrotlets are very loyal to their flock. Whenever you meet them for the first time it is natural for them to be weary.

Once you earn their trust they are really epic little birds.

They will never be social like cockatiels because they are from a different more close knit society.

:)

karl

Real Name
Karl
Oh really? If they aren't as social as a cockatiel, then I might lean towards a cockatiel. What I'm looking for is a bird that likes to play, but also likes to snuggle.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh really? If they aren't as social as a cockatiel, then I might lean towards a cockatiel. What I'm looking for is a bird that likes to play, but also likes to snuggle.
I don't think that this goes so much by the type of bird. I think this comes w/ your relationship w/ the bird.

I'm going to tag a few others that I believe maybe of more assistance then myself.

@JLcribber , @Zara , @hrafn , @Tiel Feathers

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Parrotlets absolutely love their families. What I meant is that they are shy and not as out going with new people or birds.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I don’t know much about parrotlets, but if you are looking for a playful bird, cockatiels might not be the best fit, while they play with their toys, they often like to sit and watch things. They are definitely not clowns like some other types of parrots. Many do like scratches, but many do not.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Parrotlets absolutely love their families. What I meant is that they are shy and not as out going with new people or birds.
my parrotlet doesn't care if they are new people, he'll go to them and ask for head scratches all the same! Even better with new people because they don't know there are things he is not allowed to do ;)
On the other hand he doesn't play that much, my budgies play more than him, he doesn't care for toys. My parrotlet is more interested in hanging with me or in a kitchen cabinet to chew on paper bags (because I removed the plastic ones...), we also have some training sessions (clicker training or getting him used to his harness) that can be quite fun.

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
my parrotlet doesn't care if they are new people, he'll go to them and ask for head scratches all the same! Even better with new people because they don't know there are things he is not allowed to do ;)
On the other hand he doesn't play that much, my budgies play more than him, he doesn't care for toys. My parrotlet is more interested in hanging with me or in a kitchen cabinet to chew on paper bags (because I removed the plastic ones...), we also have some training sessions (clicker training or getting him used to his harness) that can be quite fun.

Well Picu is a very special little guy. I suppose I don't really have people over very often...but when people do visit Pi (plumhead parrot) will happily sit in the room with them and step up on them.

My parrotlets yell stranger danger and will bite them. Every bird will be different! For sure!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Well Picu is a very special little guy. I suppose I don't really have people over very often...but when people do visit Pi (plumhead parrot) will happily sit in the room with them and step up on them.

My parrotlets yell stranger danger and will bite them. Every bird will be different! For sure!
His brother was the same with adult visitors (we don't have visits that often either), but he was biting children...

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
my parrotlet doesn't care if they are new people, he'll go to them and ask for head scratches all the same!

That’s how 2 of mine are. They run to you for scritches. In fact they demand it! The 3rd one is very attached to me, but came here afraid of hands. So he flies to me and gets on me, plays games and eats from my hand and even says a few words. He just doesn’t want Scritches. The 4th one was hand fed as a baby but then left in a cage for a year. She is not tame and doesn’t want to be. She does know her name and will go where I tell her— as long as it’s not on me.

It takes time to build trust and bond with a bird, they will definitely settle down with you over time but their personality is going to come into play also.

I’ll tell you about my tiels after while.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Almost forgot! OK tiels, I have 3. The 2 girls are Torrie and Spirit, I think they are 4 years old, I've lost track. Both came to us as babies, Torrie was not hand fed but the first buyer brought her back when she wouldn't eat (in a dorm room !) and she picked me so she came home. And ate fine. She loves to fly around the room, they are free *almost* all the time in the bird room. Torrie wants scritches 24/7. In the typcial cockatiel way, she will ask for them and then peck your hand because, i dunno, you didn't do it right? Then one second later she does it again. She will get on my shoulder but doesn't stay very long.

We gave the 2 of them away, thinking we were moving. Spirit is the one who suffered most. She loved me/us before... but the day the guy carried them away she turned and gave me a look that broke my heart. Now she doesn't want me to touch her. She will "talk" with me and do tricks for me but that's all. She loves my husband now and rides on his shoulder, and will sit for 3 hours on him while he works. He can scritch her but I cannot.

The 3rd tiel is Clint. He is a rescue. He is 20+ years old, half bald, grumpy, had a broken wing that was never treated. He's just a mess. Scolds us all the time, we must not do anything right. He has been here 10 months and tolerates us without freaking out, and couple of times he got on my shoulder. He gets into predicaments and yells for us to come move him (we have ropes, ladders etc but... it's Clint)so we go but then he doesn't want our help. :laugh: We haven't tried to pet him, he was too stressed about it in the beginning. Tolerating us is good enough.

Note that parrotlets are bitey little things, they don't necessarily break the skin but they're always posturing or biting just because. Tiels don't do that as much, they just peck you if you didn't pet right, and they'd fly away rather than show their beak. Tiels are also a LOT louder. These are 2 very different personalities. I like the feisty p'lets. But I've had tiels for years and love their sweet nature and the males have pretty songs. My husband likes the tiels. He can't stand to be bitten so the p'lets are not for him. He's happy with a sweet, quiet-ish bird.

parrotlets collage.jpg Clint new.jpg

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please let us know how your time goes in the beginning (keep us updated) & ultimately what you bring home!

:bridgette:

karl

Real Name
Karl
Is there anything I should do with the new birds?

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Can we see your set-up?