• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New parrotlet

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
:congrats5:

Fantastic choice, cockatiels are wonderful birds!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:starshower1:Congratulations on your new cockatiels! How are they settling in? Just go slow and take everything at their pace. Covering part of their cage while they get used to their new environment might help make them feel more secure.

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
:Congratwav:
As far as what to do, the advice you have been given so far is great. My tiel moved at a rapid pace in terms of wanting to be with me when I brought her home, but all tiels are different. Some like to go at a slower speed in terms of interaction and bonding, and that's okay too. Respecting that will give you the best bond with your birds, because they will trust you not to push them too far.

Treats are always a good way to go when you want to help get them used to your hands and presence. Millet is a sure way to a tiel's heart. Drop a treat nearby every time you walk past their cage/s. If you have them out of the cage, you can drop a treat close to them. Once they start becoming more comfortable around you, you can try feeding treats by hand.

Also, I would highly recommend working on target training with them to get them where they need to be, and also for bonding purposes. It's very useful when you need to get them back into their cage when they're not used to you.