• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

CockyFr13nd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fiona
Thank you for the suggestions you guys have given me a lot of info and I’ll keep trying. ATM I’ve had to take a step backwards with her seed because she’s refusing to eat anything other than yellow flowered thistles, carrots & sweet peas and she’s loosing too much weight at once. I made some chop yesturday and my conure was the only one to try it. I’ll keep offering different things and am hopeful persistence will win out

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Cockatoos are very stubborn when it comes to changing their food.

Keep at it!

Thank you for giving your father's bird a stable home. It is so hard when pets and children get wrapped up in the drama of domestic life.

I would also be stressed if my bird lost that much weight so quickly. I hope the vet near Bendigo will suit!

CockyFr13nd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fiona
Thank you for your understanding, after all this I realise I know little about my cockatoo but I am learning fast they are not to just beautiful creatures, they take alotta work One thing I do know is They are Soooo Very Stubborn LoL but I won’t give up on her she needs me and I won’t give up ❤

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
...just catching up with this...
First, Welcome to you and Pepper. :)

You've gotten great advice here, so I needn't go through it again. ;)
One thing I do know is They are Soooo Very Stubborn LoL
:yes3: :yes3: :yes3:...that's an Essential Truth about 'toos if there ever was one!
I won’t give up on her she needs me and I won’t give up ❤
:heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Have you tried giving her nuts? That could be helpful if she's losing weight. Like almonds in the shell? (Not a lot of them) But it also keeps them occupied- having to dig the nut out of the shell, etc. My 'too also likes pecans in the shell. If she likes them, you can also use nuts as a training reward.

CockyFr13nd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fiona
She loves almonds but I haven’t been able to get them in the shell not sure about pecans so I’ll give them a go
I rang the vet yesterday as she had a very poor eating day, the Vet suggested she’s refusing to eat because she’s cranky about the whole process of giving her meds wrapping her in a towel ect. I had to work last night so wasn’t around for a few hours and when I got home she’d eaten all her Veges so I’m not as concerned as I was before but still have to focus on healthier choices for her. Out the back of my work there is an abundance of thistles with yellow flowers that she eats leaves stems and all so she got a fist full of em last night, it might have won me some favour! She’s definitely stroppy though she went for my earring yesturday and gave it a nibble she hasn’t done that in years

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
She loves almonds but I haven’t been able to get them in the shell not sure about pecans so I’ll give them a go
I rang the vet yesterday as she had a very poor eating day, the Vet suggested she’s refusing to eat because she’s cranky about the whole process of giving her meds wrapping her in a towel ect. I had to work last night so wasn’t around for a few hours and when I got home she’d eaten all her Veges so I’m not as concerned as I was before but still have to focus on healthier choices for her. Out the back of my work there is an abundance of thistles with yellow flowers that she eats leaves stems and all so she got a fist full of em last night, it might have won me some favour! She’s definitely stroppy though she went for my earring yesturday and gave it a nibble she hasn’t done that in years
Pepper is certainly putting you through your paces!

Sending continued good thoughts out to you and her...:)

LynnInColorado

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lynn
:hello1: My post keeps disappearing. I wonder if the medications are causing her trouble. Good luck!

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use Nuts.com for our birdy nuts. You may be able to find those almonds there. I buy they're paper pecans for Buddy. I still have to crack the shell for him & remove some. He doesn't crack anything harder than a peanut or pistachio shell. Lol!

CockyFr13nd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fiona
:hello1: My post keeps disappearing. I wonder if the medications are causing her trouble. Good luck!
That was my first thought that it was the meds so I rang the Vet but she said no it’s definitely not the medication. She said she’s just being stroppy about the whole process of wrapping her up and syringing the med in her beak. She was right because she’s settled a little now and is eating her veg again. I weighed her yesterday again and she hasn’t lost anymore weight so that’s something. Still won’t eat her pallets so I ordered some Roudybush crumbles for her to try.
I use Nuts.com for our birdy nuts. You may be able to find those almonds there. I buy they're paper pecans for Buddy. I still have to crack the shell for him & remove some. He doesn't crack anything harder than a peanut or pistachio shell. Lol!
Thanks a bunch I’ll check their website out

CockyFr13nd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fiona
So excited this morning as I saw out the corner of my eye Pepper first carried off some silverbeet then some Bok Choy to munch on, can’t let her see I’m looking or she’ll drop it cheeky ‘TOo. She’s been slowly taking more fresh food out of her back bowl so I thought I’d now put that bowl at the front and her pallets and seed bowl at the back. She’s still not interested in the pallets and is paying little attention to the selection of seeds on offer since I removed sunflower, saflower seeds but for now I’m happy she’s eating her veg. I’ve got a selection of her seeds sprouting tiny green things so that’s good and I’m feeling a lot more positive that I will get her eating healthy. She seems to be slowly getting used to a better diet persistence is the key what she piffs out of her bowl one day she’ll eat the next so I’ll just keep offering and I ordered some raw almonds from nuts.com thanks for the tip Rain Bow

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
So excited this morning as I saw out the corner of my eye Pepper first carried off some silverbeet then some Bok Choy to munch on, can’t let her see I’m looking or she’ll drop it cheeky ‘TOo
..how cute!

Milton is the exact opposite when he's eating...if I look away for some reason, he stops eating! So I have to watch a 'too eat his breakfast and dinner every day...:rolleyes:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just a side question, I’ve tried to upload a photo of my pepper but it says the files too large how do I get around that ?
@expressmailtome I'm not sure how this can be done, if it's even possible.

So excited this morning as I saw out the corner of my eye Pepper first carried off some silverbeet then some Bok Choy to munch on, can’t let her see I’m looking or she’ll drop it cheeky ‘TOo. She’s been slowly taking more fresh food out of her back bowl so I thought I’d now put that bowl at the front and her pallets and seed bowl at the back. She’s still not interested in the pallets and is paying little attention to the selection of seeds on offer since I removed sunflower, saflower seeds but for now I’m happy she’s eating her veg. I’ve got a selection of her seeds sprouting tiny green things so that’s good and I’m feeling a lot more positive that I will get her eating healthy. She seems to be slowly getting used to a better diet persistence is the key what she piffs out of her bowl one day she’ll eat the next so I’ll just keep offering and I ordered some raw almonds from nuts.com thanks for the tip Rain Bow
You very welcome! Did they work out for you & Pepper?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Just a side question, I’ve tried to upload a photo of my pepper but it says the files too large how do I get around that ?
Try to take another photo maybe and see if it works?

CockyFr13nd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fiona
Ok so Pepper has lost a bit of weight which I’m happy about but now I have phased her seed out and she’s been on veges and sprouts I’ve noticed this morning her poo is very loose and I think she has diarrhoea can too much silver beet give her the runs?. She’s still refusing pallets so I’m about to administer some tough love the vet suggested weighing her and then only offering the pallets and she will eventually get hungry enough to eat them as I’ve tried everything else and failed I will try it and monitor her weight.

CockyFr13nd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fiona
Welcome to the forum. Have you tried Senior Nutriberries? They're nutritionally equivalent to pellets and a lot of birds will eat those over pellets. Also, they contain milk thistle which is good for fatty liver disease. You also can try making birdie bread and add vegetables and pellets. I also think any vegetables are better than no vegetables. So feed her what she will eat and keep trying others. My 'too loves zucchini, squash and red and yellow peppers.
I’ve tried to get the Nutri pellets but they don’t have them her in Australia and the shipping is too expensive unfortunately. I’m currently trying Roudybush as she just throws the other pellets