• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

CockyFr13nd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fiona
Hello everybody. I have a 37 y o Sulfur crested cockatoo that I inherited after my parents got divorced. She was originally my fathers bird and he received her when I was 5. She was passed around the family after the divorce when everybody had had enough of her they were going to put her down, which I couldn’t let happen. Since I live in the country I took her in and have had her for 7 years and she has been happy and healthy for many years but in the last 2 her health has declined. I’ve just recently found out she has fatty liver disease as she has been fed mostly seed all her life. I am in the process of giving her medication (I’ve only got a few holes in my fingers!lol) and have under veterinary suggestion been mixing wet pallets in with budgie seed and just a few of her old wild bird seed mix whilst feeding her carrots and sweet peas as this is All she’ll eat, I have also made a chop recipe but she won’t touch it and now she seems to have gone on a hunger strike humph there is so much conflicting information out there I’m not sure what to do, the vet said carrots and sweet peas are not right for her and to try leafy greens, brocolli, cucumber but she piffs it all. She was over weight 1.8 kgrams when they weighed her at the vet a month ago and now she is 1.2. She is quiet and fluffed up after the vet took bloods and trimmed her beak and nails 3 days ago. I’m really worried about her and am in need of support as the vet is 300 kms away am in need of serious advice. Thank you

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Welcome to the Avenue! What has your vet said? I'm so sorry to hear that she's not feeling well, what's her name? Thank you for taking her!
Tagging some people that I hope can help you.
@enigma731 @Hankmacaw
I'd suggest seeing if she'd take Red Palm Oil but it'd probably best to ask your vet about it first.

CockyFr13nd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fiona
Thank you BeanieofJustice. Her name is Pepper the vet said that she is obese and has fatty liver disease so I have to give her Silymarin (liver support and anti oxidant) twice a day and Colchine (anti inflamitory) once a day and to get her onto pallets he said I’m going to have to give her some “tough love” with her diet but she doesn’t seem to be eating the pallets at all. At first I soaked them and mixed them with her wild bird seed mixture so she was getting it on her beak whilst foraging for seeds but now that I put them in whole she won’t eat them and she’s losing weight which he said she can afford to but she seems completely disinterested in foraging and is really quiet maybe she’s just readjusting after the overnight vet stay and is upset about the medicine I’m not sure

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
What pellets have you tried? There are many out there, maybe if Pepper doesn't like one type you could try another? There are many people here who struggle to their their birds switched over to pellets, sometimes it takes trying a few different types. I know Harrisons, Roudybush and Lafaeber will send samples upon request.
How long as she been on those medications?

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
For a start, I’d try sprouting Pepper’s seeds. It’s far from ideal, but it’s usually a good steppingstone from seed to leafy veg. Constantly offer the pellets, usually birds snob them partly because they don’t recognize them as food. She might not correlate the soaked pellets you mixed in with her food And the dry pellets. You also might want to try different kinds of pellets, it’s possible she just doesn’t like the taste of hers.

How tame is she? If possible I’d encourage her to fly more, exercise is important. More senior members might have other suggestions, if anyone who has been here longer says something conflicting with my advice, go with them. A lot of people here have had birds longer than I’ve been alive and will likely know more than me.

CockyFr13nd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fiona
I’ve tried Passwell (Wombaroo) Parrot Pallets and am trialing Veta farm Nutri blend large parrot pallets. I haven’t tried sprouting her seed but will give it a go thanks unfortunately she won’t fly I take her out into our paddock to forage and when she’s on my hand she’ll pretend fly but she won’t take off her feathers are malformed due to her health and possibly the way someone was trimming them, I don’t cut them at all anymore

Last edited:

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I’ve tried Passwell (Wombaroo) Parrot Pallets and am trialing Veta farm Nutri blend large parrot pallets. I haven’t tried sprouting her seed but will give it a go thanks unfortunately she won’t fly I take her out into our paddock to forage and when she’s on my hand she’ll pretend fly but she won’t take off her feathers are malformed due to her health and possibly the way someone was trimming them, I don’t cut them at all anymore
I’m pretty sure Trimming the wings won’t usually damage the new feathers. Only if someone were plucking them. Try to encourage the pretending if you can, wing flapping won’t do as much as flight but it’s better than nothing.

CockyFr13nd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fiona
Ok it must be just her health then, will do she loves getting her wings out.
I’m more focused on her food atm though her exercise is easy to take care of, I’ve even tried eating some of the pallet and then giving it to her but she still refuses

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :) I am so pleased to see another Victorian member!!

I have noticed with my bird he did not like the bigger pellets (recommended for his size) so I get the smaller ones and he eats them well, the bonus of this is there is also less wastage. I also offer a variety of pellets as some days he prefers the Roudybush over the Vetafarm or others I buy. I also agree that sprouting may be an easy way to get him to convert from the seeds to more healthy foods.

Can I ask which AV you see? I use Dr Susan Bibby at Strathfieldsaye and have found her to be great with help for food ideas (and other health and behavior information) and also she is usually willing to take calls or get back to you via emails for some help most times. Obviously if your bird is sick she will tell you to make an appointment but for ideas and small bits of information she is wonderful.

We do not seem to have the same amount of choice for pellets as the US but some of the better pellets are available here if you shop around. Vetafarm seems to be the most common one available here from what I have seen.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Ok it must be just her health then, will do she loves getting her wings out.
I’m more focused on her food atm though her exercise is easy to take care of, I’ve even tried eating some of the pallet and then giving it to her but she still refuses

:rofl: Yay......I am not the only crazy person here trying bird pellets :hehe: Burt looked at me like I was a dirty thief when I tried some of his pellets which I think taste darn awful! :lol: I will admit that I taste and inspect every new food item I give my bird :eek:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yes she is highly recommended and a lovely person too. She handled Burt beautifully and managed to keep him very calm and comfortable even though he was terrified at his first visit. I believe she may be one of our better AV's.
OMG you're in Donald??? I am not far from you!! Susan grew up in Charlton :)

CockyFr13nd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fiona
It’s such a small world I know Bibby’s in St Arnaud guaranteed they’re related lol. Bendigo is way more convenient not to mention the cost of fuel. I have to have follow up bloods for Pepper in a month so I will see if I can get in to see Susan and get her file sent over from Williamstown. Your a life saver it’s always good to hear from someone who’s been in to see the AV & a local ; )

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
When you have trouble getting them to eat pellets, vegetables, fruit etc, try different ways of offering it. Chop the foods really tiny (and mix soaked pellets in!) sprinkle some seed on top that she likes. Put them on a skewer in big chunks and hang it in the cage (there are special skewers made for parrots). Clip some wet lettuce or kale to the side of the cage - often they love to bathe in it/ nibble on it.

I’m sure there are plenty more ideas.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:welcomesign: to the Avenue, Fiona and Pepper!

Fresh food is so important and peas and carrots excellent!! ANY fresh food is excellent. Then you can add other things. Carrots are wonderful for the all important beta carotene that so many captive birds are lacking. Peas are great too. As Machelle advised, try sprouting... either her seed, or you can make your own mix out of whole grains and legumes. Will she drink juices? It might be easier to drip your Milk Thistle etc on top of a thick juice/smoothie (dairy free) for her to drink. Finchley has some great ideas on how to present veggies and fruits. If she likes peas, press them on top of things like mashed sweet potato to encourage her to try some. YAY you have found a friend in Shezbug! :dance4:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Have you tried Senior Nutriberries? They're nutritionally equivalent to pellets and a lot of birds will eat those over pellets. Also, they contain milk thistle which is good for fatty liver disease. You also can try making birdie bread and add vegetables and pellets. I also think any vegetables are better than no vegetables. So feed her what she will eat and keep trying others. My 'too loves zucchini, squash and red and yellow peppers.