• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New handicap baby help!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Harrison's makes high potency extra fine pellets. Perfect size for her.

Perryberry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thank you! I was told by the store that she was female, so that's what I was going with. I thought maybe they sexed her when her leg was amputated. I'll have to get a few more pics tomorrow. Does she look more male to you?

Perryberry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Are harrisons pellets ok for them? I've read so many controversial views.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you! I was told by the store that she was female, so that's what I was going with. I thought maybe they sexed her when her leg was amputated. I'll have to get a few more pics tomorrow. Does she look more male to you?
Going back over your photos I believe she is a female.
I fed my parrotlets pellets, seed, fresh veggies and fruits as well as sprouts.

Beanurita

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Melissa
The perch Pickles is on in the 1st pic is a simple wire type platform (size small) I made the fleece cover that just slips on and can be replaced with another so I can wash them often. It's her favorite spot!! She does have a crazy playful flight cage! 32x21x34 so lots of room to fly in as well when she isn't out flying all over the place!

Perryberry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I was wondering how a wood platform was so thin?! That's a great idea I will try to find one tomorrow, and get my purple fleece out again. I've used that for a lot. Today I used it to make a toy she could lean on at night. I just cut it into strands and hung it in her sleep spot. I thought it would be more comfortable to balance. So are most p'lets not clipped?

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Congrats on your new addition of a P'let. They are wonderful creatures. I have shared my life with a male pacific for 17 years now. They are fast and can get into trouble real fast even with one leg. She is a real sweetie pie.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Because of her special-Ness I wouldn't clip her at all!!! Pickles has never been clipped because of her splayed legs. My YSGCC, Fischer's Love bird are not clipped. Charlie, my mini hahns macaw is clipped but we've only had him now for about 6 weeks and he was already clipped. Will probably not clip him in the future. Our littlest (4 budgies and Blu) are very slightly clipped for their safety being so little but to be honest they can all still......I can't wait to hear more about her and see pics ALL the time!!!!

Perryberry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
We have the two brown necked capes that are clipped. They are my son's and go everywhere with them, in and out all day so it's just better. We also have a hyacinth and he is clipped. Again he goes with us wherever, whenever possible. They are outside quite a bit. I got Polly a little travel cage, and she's been outside getting some sun every day in that. I will definitely not clip her again, it's just new to us.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We have the two brown necked capes that are clipped. They are my son's and go everywhere with them, in and out all day so it's just better. We also have a hyacinth and he is clipped. Again he goes with us wherever, whenever possible. They are outside quite a bit. I got Polly a little travel cage, and she's been outside getting some sun every day in that. I will definitely not clip her again, it's just new to us.
Off topic, but I hope your birds are harnessed when they are outside. Clipped doesn't mean they can't fly away -- a gust of wind and they're gone. We hear a lot of those stories on AA :(

Perryberry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Totally not off subject. Our boys have pak o bird back packs for the boys. I'm getting Polly a custom xs blue one made to match her. I'm really worried about an open door and having them fly out. I hear more stories of that happening.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for taking the parrotlet into your home!

RoxieW

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Roxie
Thank you for taking her in. She is so cute !!

I have a male parrotlet, Figgy Puddin who is 3 years old. My avian vet told me that Figgy could have some pellets but that he should also get seed diet and fresh fruits and veggies. He said a diet of only pellets is not good. He told me that parrotlets don't seem to drink as much water as other parrot species (and I have noticed that myself, my p'let does not drink near as often as my crimson bellied conure) and the way pellets are manufactured parrots need a good intake of fluid to digest them and that's why some people have had their parrotlets die when they were fed a pellet only diet because they were not drinking enough water to help them digest them. So based On a scoop I use to give out his food I give my p'let 1/4 pellets to 3/4 scoop of seeds (I use goldenfeast conure seed mix for both my fids) and then fruits and veggies. I use to give Figgy Volkman Parrotlet Supper and was feeding my conure the goldenfeast and every time Figgy got near Ollie's food he would just go nuts for it, so after comparing the ingredients I noticed Goldenfeast had most of the same seeds and nutrients Volkman had plus a couple others and it was sunflower free which I like as I only give sunflower seeds as a treat. Plus I went from having to order seed mixes from 2 company to one and made it easier on my bird sitter, hehe. Hope this helps. If in doubt always check with your avian vet. :D

Also a little fleece covered sleeping tube might be good as well. My Figgy loves his! image.jpg

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa

Would love to see pics of the capes and Hy (wink wink)

RoxieW

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Roxie
@RoxieW, where did you get your sleep tunnel for Figgy?
@Beanurita I made it. :joyful: I also made one for my CBC but his is larger. (Not a great picture of the bed but you can see larger one I made hanging in back of Ollie's cage) image.jpg Another AA member asked me for pattern a couple weeks ago and I told her I don't have a pattern but I will write out instructions and post some pictures in a new thread showing steps. Unfortunately I haven't gotten that done yet, I had foot surgery a few weeks ago and still in a cast and non-weight bearing so not getting around much, and still having quite a bit of pain. I hope to work on the instructions this weekend and get them posted.