• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New handicap baby help!

Perryberry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
We've been looking to get a parrot for my daughter. We went into our local bird store a couple days ago, and they had a 12 week, female, blue p'let. 2 weeks prior they found her with her leg stuck in the cage bars, and she needed it amputated. She was drastically discounted, and I didn't want just anyone to buy her so we brought Polly home. She is just partially clipped, and can fly pretty good. I used cotton perches so she can grip them easily, and layed them out so she has access to the whole cage. I'm feeding her cockatiel seeds with harrison's mash on top, msbs parrot mix crumbs, mash, and topped with fresh fruit. Millet spray on the side.

I don't know much about parrotlets yet.....
Is she just a "blue" parrotlet, or is there a special name for her?
Does anyone have a 1 legged p'let and have any suggestions to make their life easier?
Does her diet sound ok, should they have seed?
Is the msbs hook bill supreme blend good for them?
Thanks!

Attachments

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I don't know anything about p'lets but you've got a real cutie there. Thank you for taking her into consideration even with a handicap.

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
What a cutie. I don't know much about them but it was really nice of you to bring her home.

Perryberry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thanks, that's what sold us on her. She was sold then the guy backed out after the accident.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
That is sad that an accident would make someone back out but that is your good fortune.
It sounds like you have the right ideas about your cage set up. Time will tell and the bird will probably help you figure what is the best for both of you.

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
What a cutie! Congrats!

I don't have any advice as far as accommodations for her and have never used that seed mix. I pick up Volkmann's Parrotlet mix for Yoshi. Most of his diet is Volkmann's Soak & Simmer with veggies and fruit mixed in. Then he gets his seed in the late afternoon.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
What a cutie. Make sure she has a platform perch or 2 to rest her foot. Some people cover them with fleece so it is soft for them.

Perryberry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I will definitely look into volkmanns. So a seed mix is ok for them?
I have to get a platform perch she'd lIke resting on it. She has a fleece tube she goes in, and also perches on.
Also how do your p'lets ride around on you. Do they just sit on your shoulder or do they like to be in somthing? She likes to be in somthing so I made an adjustable fleece sack.

Attachments

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
We've been looking to get a parrot for my daughter. We went into our local bird store a couple days ago, and they had a 12 week, female, blue p'let. 2 weeks prior they found her with her leg stuck in the cage bars, and she needed it amputated. She was drastically discounted, and I didn't want just anyone to buy her so we brought Polly home. She is just partially clipped, and can fly pretty good. I used cotton perches so she can grip them easily, and layed them out so she has access to the whole cage. I'm feeding her cockatiel seeds with harrison's mash on top, msbs parrot mix crumbs, mash, and topped with fresh fruit. Millet spray on the side.

I don't know much about parrotlets yet.....
Is she just a "blue" parrotlet, or is there a special name for her?
Does anyone have a 1 legged p'let and have any suggestions to make their life easier?
Does her diet sound ok, should they have seed?
Is the msbs hook bill supreme blend good for them?
Thanks!

She looks like a blue P'let to me but upon looking closer she may have turquoise maybe???!! I can send her pic to a good friend who is a P'let breeder to see what she thinks! Also, the store you got her from can find out what the parents where from the breeder they got her from too. I have a 1 yr old dilute blue P'let named Blu! Love him to peices!

I also have a love bird who has splayed legs and it sounds like your set up is great so far! Soft perches are great as well as platform perches!!! Platforms allow them to rest. My love bird will actually lay down on her platforms when she needs to rest more!!

As far as diet goes, it sounds pretty close to Blu's diet! P'lets need seeds in their diet so he always has them avaliable but he does have a separate dish of a mix of pellets as well so he eats what he needs of both to get what he needs nutritionally! I also feed him fresh foods, chop/mash daily! He loves fresh herbs and broccoli stalks that I clip to his cage which he loves to climb on to eat!!! Sometimes I put millet seeds in them for added foraging! Blu seems to prefer veggies (loves broccoli, carrots, herbs but will eat anything I give him)! For fruits he prefers apples, blueberries and raspberries but again will eat it all!! He is a piggie and loves his fresh foods!!!

Would love to see more pics of Polly! Adorable name BTW!! Also of her house set up so we can provide any recommended changes to help little Polly out more!! Thanks for giving her a home!!

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
I will definitely look into volkmanns. So a seed mix is ok for them?
I have to get a platform perch she'd lIke resting on it. She has a fleece tube she goes in, and also perches on.
Also how do your p'lets ride around on you. Do they just sit on your shoulder or do they like to be in somthing? She likes to be in somthing so I made an adjustable fleece sack.

Love the sack!!! That's perfect!! Probably makes her feel secure too! Blu loves to go in my sweater pockets and also in the hood of my hoodie....if not in those places you can surely find him in the crook of my neck or on my head hiding in my hair!!

Perryberry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thanks for all the tips, keep it coming! I feel I can never know enough about these guys! My sons each have cape parrots Perry and Ollie so we just put the names together to make Polly. Here's another pic to show her color, and a baby pic.

Attachments

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
There are also corner platform perches though I haven't seen any that are solid like the wood perches in Beanurita's photos. I've woven strips of fleece through flat perches that have bars - one of my Quakers has splayed legs and that has helped her along with the rope perches. Another thought might be to try the cork perches that you can get @ Danita's. My birds have liked them because they not only solid to them but they can also be chewed on too.

Meant to add too - Baby Blu might miss her leg now but she is very likely to adapt well to having only one leg and might just surprise you. There are other members on AA who have handicap birds and, as they get older, they seem to forget that they ever had another leg, foot or the "missing" toes.

Perryberry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thanks for the pics. Pickles cage looks as crazy as our capes! Love Blu's color. I never realized how many shades these little guys come in.

Perryberry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Ya, a cork perch would be good for a different texture. I have those in our capes cages, and they like them.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Don't know where you are in IL but if you can get to one of the bird fairs @ either Rolling Meadows or Joliet, there's a vendor called Sir Wood (Gaye) who carries cork perches.

Perryberry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
We are close to St.Charles, and I've been to the St. Charles, kane county bird fair, but never those. Thanks I'll try to get to them.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is adorable! I am sure she will do fine in your care. She is a Blue Pacific aka: Celestial parrotlet. Are you sure she is a female? Males have a blue rump and cobalt blue feathers in the wings.