• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Fish Tank Pictures, and sad update

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
A few weeks ago, all my fish mysteriously died. I had 4 fish and within a 24 hours period- dead. I was very sad. I had my clownfish for about 4 years :(
Plus- my mandarin was in there... my dream fishie...

Needless to say, I was very upset.

I tested my water and my parameters were fine. I actually bought another test kit just in case. There was no sign of illness.

I'm calling it a mass suicide :(

I bought some new fish today. A new clownfish and a tailspot blenny. The tailspot is absolutely adorable- his name is Horton (he looks absolutely adorable.. like a Dr. Seuss character). The clownfish doesn't have a name yet- I'm going to get another clown and based on size, I'll give them male/female names.

I'm not sure what other fish I want to add to the bunch. I'm thinking about a yellow watchman.

I need peaceful fish that won't hurt my shrimp. If you guys have any suggestions, I'm open to them!

Here's Horton, nameless Clown, urchin, cocoworm, and a few pics of my shrimpies too.

Attachments

LemonGrass

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no the mandarin :( Sorry to hear of your losses. Horton is adorable though!

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I'm sorry to hear about your fish dying. :(
Your new ones are very cute and pretty. I like the shrimp with his tail up in the air.:D

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I'm sorry to hear about your fish dying. :(
Your new ones are very cute and pretty. I like the shrimp with his tail up in the air.:D
those are the sexy shrimp! They are the cutest!

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Oh no :(
I wonder what causes that? So the fish died, but everything else lived?
Are you afraid the same thing could happen to the new fish? Sorry, don't understand saltwater tanks much, have no idea if this happens every once in awhile? :huh:

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Oh no :(
I wonder what causes that? So the fish died, but everything else lived?
Are you afraid the same thing could happen to the new fish? Sorry, don't understand saltwater tanks much, have no idea if this happens every once in awhile? :huh:
I'm not 100% sure. The place where I got them suggested that maybe when one fish died it the decaying could have caused the fish to get stressed. Not sure why the shrimp wouldn't be affected by that but who knows?!
I have been doing small water changes every few days since it happened so I'm hoping everything is ok now.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Horton!!! I love Horton!! :D

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your losses. Your new fish are beautiful!

Matt

Brentt

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Brentt Highfill
sometimes it happens....You just have to hold your head high and move on best bet is to try and replace your fish you lost and think positive. I dont know what size your tank is but you could try a wrasse or a firefish goby

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
sometimes it happens....You just have to hold your head high and move on best bet is to try and replace your fish you lost and think positive. I dont know what size your tank is but you could try a wrasse or a firefish goby
I am doing just that!

I like the six-line wrasses but I remember reading somewhere that they are shrimp killers :(

Can't do a firefish cause they like to carpet surf and this tank has an open top!!

So I need peaceful and LAZY fish! haha!!

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
You know, I probably oughta add - I really enjoyed the pics, that first fish looks soo cool (not to mention the shrimp!) :D
Can't wait to see the updates as you have them.

MollyMouse

Sorry for your loss Joanna :( :hug8: I just love the name Horton :heart:

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Joanna, I am really sorry to hear that. I had that same thing happen in my NanoCube24 2 years ago. I am a minimalist when it comes to stocking and literally in 24 hours both of my clowns and my firefish died but all my inverts and corals were ok. I would have suspected an environmental contaminant but all the fish in my bigger tank were fine. I think it has to do with the small volume of water as I have heard of this pretty often in nanos but not so much in bigger tanks.

Sixline wrasses are really mean! Most wrasses are jumpers too. Maybe a jawfish?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Jawfish jump more than wrasses. Don't get a yellow watchman, he will eat your shrimp and can also swallow fish when he gets big enough. Trust me, I had a M/F pair. They ate many small fish and shrimp. Now they live in my friend's 210, with bigger fish only.
Sorry about your loss Joanna.
What size is your tank? I don't recall. I can then make proper suggestions.
I love purple firefish, red firefish, and another all time favorite is an orchid dottyback. You can get them in pairs which is nice.
I would wait, and let these fish settle in a bit. Make sure the tank is completely stable again before adding more.
Keep an eye on that peppermint shrimp with your coco worm. I cannot tell you how many customers, and myself, who had coco worms and feather dusters fall prey to pepp's. They are vicious and will rip the worm right from their tube.

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Oh no, Joanna, I'm so sorry to hear this.
You new fish are beautiful!

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Joanna, I am really sorry to hear that. I had that same thing happen in my NanoCube24 2 years ago. I am a minimalist when it comes to stocking and literally in 24 hours both of my clowns and my firefish died but all my inverts and corals were ok. I would have suspected an environmental contaminant but all the fish in my bigger tank were fine. I think it has to do with the small volume of water as I have heard of this pretty often in nanos but not so much in bigger tanks.

Sixline wrasses are really mean! Most wrasses are jumpers too. Maybe a jawfish?
Jawfish are pretty cute!

I think your right about smaller systems being more fragile.

I kind of like this goby too Yellow Rose Goby, Striped Goby - Stonogobiops nematodes

and the Pajama Cardinal
Pajama Cardinalfish, Spotted Cardinalfish - Sphaeramia nematoptera

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The rose is a great goby, very shy and will stay mostly in front of or in a burrow.Paired with a pistol shrimp, they are awesome and not as shy.
PJ cardinals get pretty big.:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.