• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New cage

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I have 2 Prevue F040 flight cages for my budgie. I bought the 2nd on Amazon for 100 dollars. It's a great cage for the littles, lots of members have them.

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
I just found it for 230 to 300. :grumpy:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I think 5/8" bar spacing is too big for your bird(s) You would need no bigger than 1/2" bar spacing.

Have you checked on any sites like Craigslist? There may be a nice used cage for sale, as long as you can disinfect it very thoroughly.

Milestone

Darn. I didn't think so until I measured.

Yeah I've been searching.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I was Googling "Flight cages for sale in Canada" and I'm shocked by how expensive they are there. That really stinks! :bored: I hope you can find a good one soon!

Milestone

Now I know it's 5/8 bar spacing but in person at petland(it's 160 there) it didn't look to big for a budgie.

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The cage looks too small and at 12 lbs. I would say it is probably flimsy. The one positive thing is that it is made in the USA rather than in China. Can you spend more and get something like this:
Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Flight Cage with Stand Bird Cage, 31-Inch by 20-1/2-Inch by 53-Inch, Black: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies
How about something like a Critter Nation cage? Midwest 181 Ferret Nation Single-Level Ferret Cage with Ramps, 36-Inch by 25-Inch by 38.5-Inch: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies or
Midwest Critter Nation Animal Habitat with Stand, Single Unit, 36-Inch by 24-Inch by 39-Inch: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies
Not sure about the bar spacing. Several members use these with their birds.

Milestone

It's 22w, 15l, 23 H. I didn't think it was too small. I think it'll have to do, because it's the best I can afford right now. Thanks for all the help.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bar spacing is 5/8" which is probably too big for the budgies and maybe also for lovebirds. Height wouldn't be 23 all the way across because of the peaked roof.
However, there are some reviews on Amazon and they are generally positive: Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Lincoln Bird Cage, Black : Birdcages : Pet Supplies Someone wrote that they have lovebirds in the cage. Hope it works out for you.
I have some Coast cages with plastic seed guards. Be careful with them because they might have a tendency to break easily. I've had to replace several of them.
All of my birds who have been in the cages with those types of guards have figured out how to lift them up and push out the seed cups and get out but the Lincoln cage looks like it has a type of latch in front to prevent them from doing that so that's a good thing.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
The problem with 5/8 spacing is they can get their head between the bars, especially if you go with the really flimsy ones which are somewhat flexible. It is scary to have a little head between the bars.

I hope you can find the one you want! Keep looking, as the prices change constantly.

I do not put finches in anything smaller than 30x18x18, and they are way smaller than lovies or budgies.

Just my :2cents:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I walk my dogs I pass by a neighbor's home where there is a cage of 3 cockatiels in front of a window. The cage is smaller than the one Milestone is getting which is sad. If I saw the neighbor I might ask about it. I would also not use 5/8" bar spaced cage for lovebirds or budgies although someone on Amazon commented that he has two lovies in that cage. I think that the flight cage would be a better choice but I hope things work out with this cage. Costs more $$ to buy a cage with Canadian dollars. Was surprised at the prices of the flight cages.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had a lovebird but don't remember the bar spacing. Might have been 1/2". I've read that recommended bar spacing is 1/2" to 5/8" but it depends on the lovebird. 1/2" would be my preference. Haven't had budgies or the lovebird for a long time. They are little guys.

Last edited:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
It's really crummy that cages are so much more expensive there but I really have a feeling it would be better if you could save up a little more and go with a flight cage.

It would just really be unfortunate if you bought a cage with bar spacing that was too big and then come to find out your birds could get out, or even get their head stuck...and then have to buy a different cage all over again.

Milestone

Yeah I know, I would roughly have to spend $130 more then what Im planning.

I'm going to check the cage again and see if the spacing is too big. It did look smaller the 5/8.