• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New CAG baby. Always hungry?

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
He's amazing. His clutch mates had already been sold when we got him. We brought him home because we felt we could give him more 1 on 1 time than the breeder.

He's missing his toes on both feet.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
What a sweetie :heart:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
:heart::heart:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::heart::hug8:missing toes should not be a problem for him.When he is ready for a cage Horizontal bars are better.Use Platform perchshttp://Natural Wood Perches - I Got A Woody Bird Toys LLC

Whimsical Pine Natural Platforms ©

perch's that are wide enough,he will also be able to use.Now remember-he cannot pick up toys to chew,so he will chew on the perchs:)
Also I found that these feeder/water dish's have a wide enough rim that he should be able to stand on them with no problem Jungle Talk Crock-Lock Tropical Parrot Feeding Bowl - Small

I only put that link in so You could see the size of the rim:) OH-and a boing he can use his beak to climb it:hug8::heart::hug8:

Loppy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jen
He is absolutely adorable! And the fact that he's missing toes just makes him special. (We think my cat, Acorn, is a chimera - he may have absorbed another sibling while in the womb as he's got an extra paw, pads and all, on both his front feet.) I look forward to future posts about his progress. (And all of this is making me consider an African Grey as a future fid...)

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
I'll get a baby spoon and start doing that.

Until then, I'm going to remove the crop tube and use the syringe.

I don't mind messy. I just want him to be healthy and happy.

And...if someday he really wants nothing to do with me...I want him to be as well-adjusted as possible so he can be happy wherever is best for him.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
That's wonderful! I'm so glad your baby is seeming to enjoy normal feeding.

I love all the ideas Bonnie (ncGreyBirdLady) gave you for helping him perch. I know there's several members here who have birds with no toes/feet. You should be able to pick up lots of ideas to keep him comfortable and entertained.

jaja87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Justin Dockery
Remember that weaning takes a while and that you may be handfeeding him up to 5 months as I did with my Simba. He's still picky with food and prefers a porridge that I make him rather than dry pellets. Simba is about 6 months old now. Weaning takes a lot of dedication and there were times when I wondered if he'd ever wean or if I'd be doing this forever haha. But it eventually happens .

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I'm SO glad you stopped gavage feeding, i.e. using the tube. That really is unnatural and can lead to food and/or psychological issues down the road. Parent birds don't regurgitate right into the crop, so babies shouldn't be fed that way. IMO, that technique should only be employed if the bird is sick, too weak for a feeding reflex.

Many people have given you excellent advice regarding weight and hunger, so I won't repeat it. However, you obviously love your baby and are willing to learn best practices. We learn something new everyday! Good for you! Stick around, update us, and enjoy the baby time. Before you know it, you'll have a bratty, willful, intelligent grey bird that both thrills and tests you. Welcome to AA and life with birds. :)

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
He's flying!

He just managed to lift off the ground one day and now he can get all over.

Also, he's been showing a strong preference for non - platform perches?

The other day he even landed on my shoulder and rolled around a little bit before falling and then flying off.

He now eats until he's full and then walks off like a happy dinosaur. :)

He also enjoys snacking on solid food between meals.

We are looking into the possibility of a diy harness for him.

We're strapped for cash but our birdies love to go on picnics and we hate to have him cooped up.

Here he is having a whole foods snack. He made friends with an old Buddhist man 20150603_120259.jpg 20150603_120211.jpg and a nice shy lady that day.

jaja87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Justin Dockery
Such a little cutie. If I were you, I'd save up for an aviator flight harness. They run at about 40 dollars. Just put away 5 bucks here and there and by the time he's ready, you'll have it. I don't think a home made harness is the safest bet. Aviators have been tested and a lot of people on this forum including myself have used one. A home made one could easily cut off circulation or worse case scenario entangle the bird or break allowing him to fly away. But for sure if you plan on taking him outside, you'll need a harness. They learn to fly very quick (one day Simba just up and flew which scared the crap out of me).

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
His aviator harness is on the way!

Now, to tell you all about his adventure.

So, as far as I knew he couldn't really fly...basically at all.
I know...I know you're not supposed to even take a clipped bird out, but I'd been taking him in a cardboard box for 'picnics' since I got him, and he really loves them. He gets really vocal, and asks passerby for scritches...

Well, I took him out ON THE FOURTH OF JULY for a picnic.

Everything was going very well until he suddenly up and flew at a three or four year old girl, and tried to land on her head. (He loves little girls)
She panicked, and screamed, and then he panicked and flew off onto the top of a building.

THEN people started setting off fire crackers.

We tracked him for about an hour as he flew around from tree to tree.
Finally he stopped in a tree and was calling down to me, and then someone set off a big firework.

We kept on his trail for hours...and then he was gone. Just gone.

It was midnight before my husband could get me to go home.

I immediately made fliers, and went to parrotalert. I walked the neighborhood calling for him from about sunup the next day until the afternoon...

When someone emailed me saying they had him!
I was so scared!

Apparently he was in a bush at some college housing, and this lady's husband stopped to take a picture.
They walked off, and the next thing her husband knew a big grey bird was beating him about the head with its wings until it could find a purchase on his shoulder.

Well, Picasso has no toes. So, he slipped, and the guy walked half bent over the whole way home.

When I found him, he was happy, and alert; he'd been fed banana for the first time; and their five year old daughter had already named him Pastry, and sang him lullabies before her nap.

I got him home, and he's been grounded since.

I was so scared I would never find him again.

Moral of the story: No matter how much of a good idea it seems at the time, never take a parrot out without a harness.

His will be here in three days, and then the picnicking will resume.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I am so glad you didn't have to learn this lesson by losing your bird permanently. So many people have not be as lucky as yourself.

Welcome to the Avenue. We love new Roadies and seek to help newbies any way we can. There are a lot of "Sticky" posts with a lot of information you may find helpful. Just go to the African Grey specialty forum and start reading.

Your bird is beautiful and you are definitely a dedicated parront.

:greet7:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Scary! You had a good outcome to an experience that ends badly and sadly for some. Whew!

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
It was terrible. I would never wish that on anyone.

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
He has a ways to go yet before he is weaned. I never sent Grey babies home until they were fully weaned x 2 weeks if going locally, 4 weeks if farther away, which put them somewhere between 4.5 and 6 months of age, depending on the individual. This little guy looks to be right around 8 weeks of age +/- and weight is 500+ grams, which is good for the age.

I would be feeding him 4X a day and not letting his crop completely empty except for once between the last night feeding and first morning feeding. Spoon feed rather than tube feed, this will allow him to feed more normally and help him to know that he has had enough. When feeding this way, without a tube, you can feed him as much as he wants, as he won't overeat.