• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New CAG baby. Always hungry?

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
So, Picasso is finally home, and he's amazingly sweet.

He has been emitting a sort of short cry rather continuously each time we take him out, and always seems more than incredibly game for some food.

He's not weaned yet, so I'm still hand-feeding three times a day. The breeder said he needed 35cc of formula per meal (the meals being approx 6 hrs apart during the day) and that's gone great, but when I'm done feeding him he still behaves like he's starving.

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Bump for a hungry baby!

Loppy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jen
I do not own an African Grey, and haven't owned birds in many, many years, so I'm not sure how helpful I will be. However, I've heard that baby birds don't always know when they're "full", and will constantly ask for food despite having a full crop. Your little guy may simply be doing the same thing; not realizing he is full.

If I am wrong, please correct me, as I'd also like to know how to deal with this should I become the owned human of a fid again someday.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
When I got my gray at 16 weeks, he wasn't completely weaned. He'd slow down his pumping actions whenever he was through. There were times when he'd even take 40cc's. Not sure how young your baby is or if he's eating any fruits or veggies yet.

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
Ive carefully hand fed him some crushed berries but he's not an independant eater yet.

What are the dangers of overfeeding him?

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
Im not talking about over filling the crop. Just giving him too much baby food throughout the day.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A bird will only eat until its full. Just like you. A mother bird will continue to feed her young until they are full.

Why did this breeder sell you an unweaned bird? That was a mistake.

What you need to know about is "abundance weaning" and quit taking advice from an unethical breeder.

----> Abundance Weaning and Fledging

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
The breeder gave me a syringe with a long rubber-like hose that I feed the baby with. I've read that this can cause the baby to think he's still hungry long after his crop is full.

When we got our conure, he was still being hand fed supplementally but was almost completely weaned to solid food. After a while he rejected the hand feeding complete, preferring his pellets and fruits and things.

Our grey is the same age our conure was when we got him, but he seems to be much more of a baby than Quijote was at this age. We were even given an incubator-type setup to keep him in.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
African greys are babies. They very easily 'revert' if not fully weaned prior to arrival in their new homes and have a reputation of being hard to wean. The problem is such that there are many issues with extended hand feeding.

Overfeeding can actually be a huge problem, and greys in particular may ask for more food then they need- just because they desire the emotional act of feeding and dont have the proper 'off' switch.

Crop shrinking: the crop should start to shrink as the bird becomes weaned. The size of the crop is often a trigger for 'full'. If the crop stays enlarged (because it is overfed often) the bird will become overweight when older, or have issues processing adult foods.

Dietary needs: As the bird grows, the dietary needs change somewhat. And the solid food provides the proper nutrition (as long as you give a nutritionally complete diet). MOST hand feeding formula is a OK starter, but is not good in the later stages of life as a main source of nutrition.

Infection: the crop must empty once a day- minimum to prevent infection/yeast. The amount fed it measured by the time it takes the crop to empty with a healthy bird. Often times if birds hand fed more than the given amount, then the crop never empties and they get infections.

You should be working hard to find some soft foods- boiled sweet potato, carrot, butternut squash etc. Hard foods I have found helpful are sunflower seeds, lugumes and nuts of most kinds (but these should not be a main part of the diet, just entice to begin eating on their own).

The fact that you refer to 'a long syringe' instead of a crop tube- means you are inexperienced. That makes me nervous as there is so much that can go wrong with hand feeding in general. 'Incubator thing'.... that baby is too young if in a incubator.

How old is the baby?

Last edited:

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
He is two months old.

I understand everyone's concern as to my hand feeding him. He's only the second bird I've ever hand fed.

That said, I'm following the instructions I was given to a T, and so far everything has gone well. I visited the breeder several times before taking him home, and I fed him each time under the breeder's supervision. (This is not meant as an excuse for the breeder if he shouldn't be giving me a baby so young.) I feed him at the proper times in the amounts suggested (which, judging from his crop, are sufficient).

I was just concerned because after I finished feeding him he would continue to cry for food. My main concern was whether or not I should be feeding him more frequently.

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
Oh, and the 'incubator thing' is a bin with holes in it, and heating lamp.

I'm trying to figure out how long he'll need to sleep in there before I can switch him to his cage.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Oh, and the 'incubator thing' is a bin with holes in it, and heating lamp.

I'm trying to figure out how long he'll need to sleep in there before I can switch him to his cage.
Photo is needed because it is based on feather density.

I understand you are confident in your ability. But there is a great risk. Above I answered your question about over feeding.

I could have surgery by a medical student. They are confident they are prepared. But I prefer a doctor with experience because so much has the possibility of going wrong.

And above all else. I want my grey to be bonded with minimal behavioral issues once past two years. And if you are 'mommy the feeder' that can backfire and they may become a biter.

People love the early bond- but just like humans- once parrots hit sexual maturity they want nothing to do with mom. They want a flock or mate. This doesn't happen all the time- but it can very easily and often.

So just be prepared. What is the temp in your brooder and humidity?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
@Greycloud

So many replies to this thread and not one has asked about weights?

Do you have a scale? You should be weighing your baby every morning before feeding and after the first morning poop. As per "most" formula instructions you feed 10-12% of the babies body weight per feeding. Those feedings are broken into 4-6 hour increments depending on the age of the bird. I do not have experience at all with greys however @ 8 weeks, 35cc x3 times a day sounds low to me. I'm going to guess our baby be better off at four hour increments however I tagged Judy to be sure.

Are you using the crop tube by means of inserting it down into the crop to feed? Has the baby ever tasted food? Can we have some pictures and your weights?

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
I hope I didn't sound rude. I was tired. It's not an excuse, but it is something of an explanation.

I have a regular kitchen scale, but I haven't weighed him. I just fed him, so I'll get before and after weights next feeding.

The brooder that I was given has a 60w bulb. I'll post pictures from my phone in the next few minutes.
I don't like that the light is always shining on him.

As for confidence...I check on him almost neurotically after feeding because I'm so scared I'll have done something that causes him harm. I really do want all the advice you can give on the subject. I only meant to indicate that I wasn't completely incompetent at it.

The syringe has a crop tube on it that I was taught to slide down his throat until his head bobs vigorously to deposit the food straight into his crop. I've considered taking the tube off and just using the syringe, but this is the only way he's ever been fed.

He has tasted food, but not much of it. A couple of seeds here, a couple of berries there, and some of the baby food when he eats.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
First thing I would do is get rid of the crop tube! At 8 weeks he should still be fed at least 4 times a day.I know that he is used to being crop fed-BUT Try with a baby or bent spoon,it will be messy until you both get the hang of it,but much safer and more satisfying to the baby.How feathered is he?How warm is Your house?
Feeding your new baby - The world of African Greys

read this info,it might help:hug8:We still want pictures and weights:)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I agree a crop tube is making the baby miss all the good of handfeeding. It's an almost mechanical way of feeding a baby. The baby misses much of what feeding is about.

The only ones I've ever heard of crop feeding is either big commercial breeders who do it for expediency's sake, or birds that are sick and debilitated.

I used a regular syringe while mine were very small, then graduated them to a deep measuring spoon. The spoon is much safer with not the risk of aspiration.

I'm guessing your baby is still begging as he feels he hasn't ate. What a sad thing for a baby. To be full, but to never eat.

Do try without the crop tube. It will be messy, but that's half the fun. It may take baby a little bit of time to understand what's happening.