• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Baby is Here and I'm not happy.

DavyG

Strolling the yard
My issue is not with the bird himself, it is with the bums who sold him to me and UPS. His wings are clipped in what looks like a very messy way. The shop clerk basically bounced him from bird enclosure to bird enclosures terrifying the crap out of my bird and the lovebirds. (Can a pair of lovebirds be sold separately?) This is the same people who sold me Tweetz, but that was a much more pleasant experience. So much that I had to double check to see if it was the same store. UPS screwed up my delivery and now I have my new bird locked in a tiny box until Monday. AHHHHHHHHH......

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Here is my new baby. I expected him to be smaller than Tweetz (a one-year-old Pineapple Conure), but he is a little larger. He is supposed to be around 12-14 weeks old. Advertised as handfed and weaned. I my Pineapple just really small?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They can vary quite a bit in size, from 50grams to 90grams. Has to do with subspecies and lines.

What do you mean your bird is locked up in a tiny box until Monday?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about the issues with UPS. If they have the cage at the local station you can sometimes arrange to pick it up.
Don't know about sizes of pineapple vs black capped conures. However, individual parrots from same species can vary in size. My red-bellied boys range in weight from about 128 to 153 and their lengths also vary.
Photo is a bit dark so hard to see bird. By tiny box do you mean tiny cage because it does look as if you took a photo of him in a cage? Hope he's not in a box.

DavyG

Strolling the yard
@Mizzely do to UPS messing up my delivery I had to make do with a cheap small cage that would be for something like a Finch more so than a Conure.

DavyG

Strolling the yard
@Wasabisaurus no kidding. My Mom said they slowed down in front of the house, before driving off. My package got some crap message like " We could not find a safe place to leave your package"

DavyG

Strolling the yard
By tiny box do you mean tiny cage because it does look as if you took a photo of him in a cage? Hope he's not in a box.
The cage is obscenely small it would be for something like a Finch.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Contact UPS, get them to call the local station and if the station is still opened you can sometimes make arrangements to pick the package up. I have done that when they didn't deliver as per the tracking information. One time I was expecting bird food that I needed and for some reason they forgot to put it on the truck even though tracking showed out for delivery. Called UPS, they contacted the station, manager called me and said I could pick up the package and I drove over there and got it. Another time when I tried to do that the local station never contacted me even though I was promised that they would. Wasn't happy about that.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
UPS screwed up my delivery and now I have my new bird locked in a tiny box until Monday. AHHHHHHHHH......
Is it food and water in that cage? I will say that go get your bird ASAP if you want a living bird.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is it food and water in that cage? I will say that go get your bird ASAP if you want a living bird.
I think that he has his baby, just missing the cage he ordered because UPS messed up.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank god! :) I was almost getting a heart attack...
I edited my post to state that I think he has his bird in case I misinterpreted what he wrote but I'm 98.9% sure that he picked up his baby and thought the baby's cage would arrive today.

@DavyG Did you name your baby yet?

DavyG

Strolling the yard
@iamwhoiam not yet. Maybe something like Bobbles, because he is bobbing his head and bouncing like a little mad-man. Never saw a conure do that.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Word to the wise for anybody shipping through UPS. IF you have a problem with a shipment don't waste your time calling 1-800 numbers, emailing or anything else. Go straight to UPS' FB page and message them. Don't rant but tell them exactly what the problem is. I had something misdelivered to my address and tried the 1-800 & email/contact UPS. Then I found UPS FB page and messaged them. Got a reply in less than 30 min. and the package in question was picked up and removed from my stoop the same afternoon.

This after having read either here or online that UPS has asked for personal information like home address & phone # and actually gave the info to the package recipient. I stated that in my message and said I would not hand over the package to anyone other than UPS.

Glad the bird is safe. Right now my post office is worse than UPS; I had a pick-up scheduled yesterday, watched mail van drive by, called my post office 6 times before someone finally picked up (they'd just disconnect) and was on the 1-800 USPS # for 14.58 minutes before the mail van came back to pick up my boxes (which had been sitting on the stoop since 8 a.m. and had a confirmation #).Oh yeah, estimated wait time for an agent was 30 minutes. And they don't know why they're losing business?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I'm so glad your little one is OK.

All the bad news about dogs being transported to the wrong places lately scare me...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so glad your little one is OK.

All the bad news about dogs being transported to the wrong places lately scare me...

Flying with your dog can be dangerous. Did you hear the news about the dog being put into the overhead compartment on a United Airlines flight because the owner was supposedly instructed to do that by the flight attendant? Flight attendant claimed she didn't know there was a dog in the carrier. :( :sorrow:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Flying with your dog can be dangerous. Did you hear the news about the dog being put into the overhead compartment on a United Airlines flight because the owner was supposedly instructed to do that by the flight attendant? Flight attendant claimed she didn't know there was a dog in the carrier. :( :sorrow:
There was another passenger on the same flight who vouched for the fact that the mother and daughter told the flight attendant there was a dog in the carrier. Then you also have GSD who ended up in Japan instead of Kansas? "I don't think this is Kansas Irgo" His owners found a Great Dane when they went to pick up Irgo in Kansas. Begs the question of where the Great Dane was supposed to have been.

They've also had another problem today w/a 2 year old who was upset to the point that the flight was already out taxiing for take off and returned to the gate. The tower/security stated that the flight was returning because of a "belligerent passenger"; the child was afraid of flying and was sitting on her father's lap. If United is going to call a 2 year old a "belligerent passenger" I'd love to hear what they call the rest of the PO'd passengers.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There was another passenger on the same flight who vouched for the fact that the mother and daughter told the flight attendant there was a dog in the carrier. Then you also have GSD who ended up in Japan instead of Kansas? "I don't think this is Kansas Irgo" His owners found a Great Dane when they went to pick up Irgo in Kansas. Begs the question of where the Great Dane was supposed to have been.

They've also had another problem today w/a 2 year old who was upset to the point that the flight was already out taxiing for take off and returned to the gate. The tower/security stated that the flight was returning because of a "belligerent passenger"; the child was afraid of flying and was sitting on her father's lap. If United is going to call a 2 year old a "belligerent passenger" I'd love to hear what they call the rest of the PO'd passengers.

I saw the story about the 2 year old crying on the news tonight. Flight attendants have the final say, so to speak, and if someone doesn't listen to them they can get in big trouble but sometimes power goes to people's heads. No reason, based on what I've heard so far, for that family to have been removed from the plane.

I am very surprised that the mom (heard that she might not have fully understood due to second language) & daughter didn't explain to the flight attendant that the dog would not be safe in the overhead but then maybe they felt that if they said something they would be in trouble. Still....??? Then there is that mix up with the dogs. It's a very sad situation.
There were @ 85 pet deaths on flights in the last 3 years and almost 50% of those occurred on United.United's pet shipping is called Pet Safe but it doesn't seem safe to me.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I saw the story about the 2 year old crying on the news tonight. Flight attendants have the final say, so to speak, and if someone doesn't listen to them they can get in big trouble but sometimes power goes to people's heads. No reason, based on what I've heard so far, for that family to have been removed from the plane.

I am very surprised that the mom (heard that she might not have fully understood due to second language) & daughter didn't explain to the flight attendant that the dog would not be safe in the overhead but then maybe they felt that if they said something they would be in trouble. Still....??? Then there is that mix up with the dogs. It's a very sad situation.
There were @ 85 pet deaths on flights in the last 3 years and almost 50% of those occurred on United.United's pet shipping is called Pet Safe but it doesn't seem safe to me.
They (both) told the flight attendant there was a dog/live animal in the carrier. They had their puppy (10 months old is not adult) in an approved UA pet carrier. Another passenger, without a second language issue heard them tell the flight attendant. How would the mother & daughter know that their dog could suffocate? Maybe it was also a flight attendant who has learned that she has more say over what travelers can do than the travelers have or even KNOW they have. Attitude nowadays comes from the flight staff and it has boiled down to "sit down, shut up or you'll be removed from the flight".

To tell the truth, I've traveled enough but never thought that the overhead containers would deprive an animal of oxygen. Logic (I'm assuming, which you know is not good) would be that if the entire plane cabin has air so would the overhead containers. Apparently not. I'm sorry, I know it isn't your fault, but GD UA does not have a good record when it comes to transporting pets.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The flight attendant should have known and that is the sad and strange thing. Dogs/cats/other pets go under the seat as far as I know but read that they had problems getting the dog's carrier under the seat. Still can't imagine why the attendant would have them put the dog in overhead storage. It's stupidity. My first thought if I was asked to do that is that the dog would not be getting enough O2 and that the dog would also be extremely frightened. I read that the dog barked for about 2 hrs. I wonder if they ever opened the bin and checked on him and took him out or if the flight attendant wouldn't let them do that.

I've had pets fly on the airlines 4 times and knock on wood everything went well but I was stressed and scared at least for 3 of the times. The 1st time I didn't know that my mom was having my brother bring a new puppy home from CA to Chgo.(used to live there when I was very young).

It's all very sad and horrific. We're off topic, though, so probably should get back to baby bird and UPS messing up.
Hope the cage arrives on Monday @DavyG.

Last edited: