• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nesting, I'm not a breeder

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I agree about seeing a vet.
I hope she is alright!

:angel6:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:hug4:That's good, hopefully they will figure out why she isn't feeling well so you can get her better!

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Yes, if she seems lethargic it's probably best to see the vet.
It could simply be that the male isn't feeding her enough (I know mine would almost rather starve herself than leave her eggs for more than a few minutes) - that could be the case since they're inexperienced. However, since egg binding is a possibility, a vet check is needed.
With my GCC, since she has no mate to feed her, I give her handfeeding formula twice a day when she's on eggs and a snack of a few walnut pieces once a day. When she's laying eggs, she simply refuses to eat her usual food - it seems like it's not calorie dense enough to be worth her time to eat it. Sometimes she will come out to be fed before I have her formula ready and she will completely ignore the dish of chop on her stand and cry with hunger... and if I'm not quick enough with making her formula, she will give up and fly back to her eggs without eating anything at all (of course I take her out and feed her when the formula is ready).
I guess my point is that it takes a lot of energy to produce eggs and if he's not feeding her enough, so she has to leave the nestbox to eat, then she may need some extra rich foods to help support the egg laying. Handfeeding formula is a good choice as it can also help cover dietary deficiencies from laying, but just to get some extra calories in her, you could try some nuts or unsalted peanut butter mixed with her regular food.

safehaven

Sprinting down the street
I am still here. They said her lungs have abnormal sound yet don't want to X-ray bc she is too weak to do so much on her at once. They tube fed her bc she has been to tired to eat. They want to keep her overnight but I don't want to leave her. She will be all alone. They won't even be here with her so what is the point. She would be scared to death.
Still at Vet.

safehaven

Her breathing is real labored, you can see it. She is in an incubator but they are leaving soon and I have to decide to leave her here alone or come back in morning with her. If she died here alone, I would never forgive myself.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Poor girl. If it were my bird, I would bring her home if the drive isn't too long. Being alone at the vet (and potentially still needing a familiar place to lay an egg) is very stressful. On the other hand, it takes a lot of energy to keep warm, so ONLY take her home if you can keep her nice and warm and calm. Also consider she might need to be tubefed by the vet again tomorrow if she is weak.

safehaven

I brought her home. I couldn't leave her. She is beside me now and staying warm. Tough decision but I believe love creates will and I couldn't imagine leaving her this sick in a strange place all night. I am taking her back in early morning and they are doing some X-rays.
They put her on antibiotics too until we know more.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I brought her home. I couldn't leave her. She is beside me now and staying warm. Tough decision but I believe love creates will and I couldn't imagine leaving her this sick in a strange place all night. I am taking her back in early morning and they are doing some X-rays.
They put her on antibiotics too until we know more.

Oh, so sorry. Wonder what's wrong? Keep her warm. Least they got some food in her. I think you made a good decision if she would be alone at the vets anyway. I hope that that figure it out. Are you supposed to give her antibiotics?

Keeping her in my thoughts. I hope you both have a easy night.:angel6:

:angel1:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I hope that things went well over night.

Matt

safehaven

Update. I took her back early this morning for X-rays. Her third egg is very large and she is weakened bc she can't pass it. She is still at the vet in an incubator. They will sedate her and message to help her pass. If that doesn't work she will need surgery. Prayers please. She will not eat for them either bc she is scared. She ate for me on way there. The vet said she thinks I should leave her overnight if the egg has not passed in another hour but I still see no reason to do that if they won't be there either. She would be in an incubator. If I chose to go get her at 5pm, I would have to bring her back in again in morning. They vet doesn't want to put her under sedation today since she has been trough X-rays and blood work.
Don't know what to do. She is not happy there.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
So they will sedate her tomorrow & massage tor try to pass the egg or today?
What will they do today? Just watch her? I don't know what to tell you. Leaving her & picking her up when they close can't seem to hurt her if no one will be monitoring her in the night anyway. I hope she can pass the egg & its best left to a vet to try to help. Could you ask them what you can do for her tonight if you take her home. I've heard hot steamy shower can help.

Talk with your vet re options & concerns.

She needs to eat too.

I wish all the best.

:angel1::angel6:

safehaven

This vet doesn't want to do the message til morning. She is giving her calcium and taking blood. They close in an hour and I have to decide to leave her or bring her back. The vet is strongly advising to leave her. She would be alone for 14 hours. What should I do????

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Why doesn't the vet want you to take your bird home? What are they providing that they don't think you can provide? Ask them that...if you haven't already.

safehaven

I did. She said the traveling back in forth is more stressful than sitting in an incubator.

safehaven

I feel it's more stress her being alone? Am I wrong? I have one hour left , help.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
You know your bird best.
What is your fear if you leave her there over night?

safehaven

Her being scared her being alone if something happened and I know I can get her to eat.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Founded reasons to be scared. Founded reason to feel like you can do better than the vet. Do you have the means to keep her warm (a hospital cage/aquarium)? If so, let the vet know that too. Also, the vet may have a way of looking at the bird from their home.

safehaven

She will not be monitored and I have a warm area but not an incubator.