• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nesting, I'm not a breeder

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
She'll lay every two day. You'll want to freeze this egg or boil it and put it into her nest box. She'll lay more.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
If you remove eggs usually more are laid. If you plan on letting it hatch then that's a different matter. You also won't know for sure if the egg is fertile for several days I believe.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
You'll new to boil or freeze it if you plan on giving it back to her in her nest box. Or it could be fertile and you'll have babies on hand if she incubates it. Or you can replace them with fake eggs that she'll accept.

But if you dont allow her to sit on the eggs she may lay more and more and more and become egg bound. Mother birds will not begin to incubate their eggs until atleast the second egg is laid. So for now she may not seem interested in it but she will need it or a fake egg by the time the second or third egg comes and she wants to begin brooding.

safehaven

Sprinting down the street
Thank you! She is interested and is sitting on it.
Big decision to make in my part. When do you candle and does anyone have a picture that shows what a fertile embryo looks like?

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Drini
Thank you! She is interested and is sitting on it.
Big decision to make in my part. When do you candle and does anyone have a picture that shows what a fertile embryo looks like?

The main thing I look for is veins because it is a clear cut sign that there is an embryo (those who are more experienced can tell even before vein growth is obvious). There are other signs to look at but they're subtle and hard to tell. The time slightly varies from species to species, but I'd look around day 7 or 8. If the egg is still clear by then you can wait a couple days after that to be really sure, but by then it should be pretty obvious whether the egg is fertile or not.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I see she laid an egg. First time parents often don't incubate that well, and the fact that she didn't lay in her nestbox also suggests she isn't really mature enough to raise babies yet. It's likely the egg is infertile or even if it is, that she won't incubate it properly and it won't hatch. That's common for a first clutch. The suggestion to boil or freeze the egg and then return it to her is to avoid the risk of her successfully hatching the egg but then not taking good care of the baby (or the baby having problems from poor incubation). You could also buy some fake plastic eggs instead. Basically, let her satisfy her desire to sit on her eggs - she won't miss chicks hatching because first clutches frequently don't hatch anyway.

safehaven

Anything else work as a fake egg besides ordering .. Marble or ?

safehaven

Oh wow Karen, that is so kind of you. I couldn't possibly ask you to spend shipping on couple eggs. Looks like I am going to order them after reading more and researching more, as long as I have my boy and girl ( long long time hopefully) I will be addessing this egg laying business. I like the idea of the fake eggs better than boiling and giving back. Also, I see how continual laying is not good for my female. I stayed up late researching just to understand better.
Karen, you have been so helpful. I really appreciate all the knowledge you and others have here.

safehaven

I ordered the eggs from dummy eggs website. I also found the Manu calcium block, crushed oyster shell and a calcium perch. She didn't want any of those and went right back to the fireplace to eat the cement:huh:

safehaven

Egg #2 has arrived! Looks like she is moving along as y'all stated, 2 days after the first.
I am worried she is not eating enough. She ate more before these eggs arrived. Not even her favorite: apples. She only comes out if I open the nest box lid. She is not aggressive at all and allows me to pet her, but my male, Lotus, will lunge and attack. I understand he is doing his duty though. Lol. He has taken the position of mate and egg bodyguard VERY seriously.

safehaven

I am a little concerned. Fern seems real lethargic. Can hardly keep her eyes open. the second egg arrived in the night Saturday night. But it was last night she came out the nest box and seemed like her balance was off and closing her eyes. She is still falling asleep even when she comes out and sits on branches. No energy at all.

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
She probably has a deficiency.

I would make an appt with the vet and run blood. They may need to boost something.

Also I would make every effort to not allow the egg laying. It is a drain on her body and is not necessary for
Good quality of life.