• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

need help!!

Baloch

Moving in
Real Name
deedag qadeer
first of all im sorry as i am using this web for the first time and i dont know how to post well

i am a first time bird owner and i bought a love bird that is about 1 month from a local pet store but since i have brought it its not opening its beak when i try to handfeed it, im confused and dint want my lil friend to die neither are there any good vet nearby that can help me, so kindly someone guide me as i am scared that my bird will die of hunger the last time i forced fed her was at 7 pm,

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Where abouts are you located that will help people find you a vet

@Zara the lovebird queen hopefully she will on on to help you

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello,

First, don't force feed the bird. It is too easy to aspirate and choke on food.

This bird needs time to be comfortable around you. She will be frightened and scared of her new surroundings and of you. Leave her alone if she won´ t take the food.

Weigh her in the mornings so you can monitor that she does not lose too much weight.

At this age, you can try feeding some millet, or leave some in the cage ((if she does eat it, you will have to provide water)

My birds at this age used to love sitting on by chest/neck under my chin or near my ears. Give her some time to adjust to her new surrounds and then sit back on a sofa or armchair and try placing her there on you to spend some time and be comforted. You can talk softly to her, no sudden movements. Don't lift her too high in case she jumps.

You will have to be very patient with her and understanding of how scared she will be.

Here is a good article;

Baloch

Moving in
Real Name
deedag qadeer
hi guys

my lil 1 month old lovebird that i bought from a local pet store is not eating my handfeed like it doesnt open its beak, last night i forcrfully fed it like 4 drops and thats all plz guide me and tell me fir how long can a 1 month lovebird stay hungry and not die bcz from last night i have been chrcking on it fir every hour to make sure it doesnt die

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I found this older thread:

Baloch

Moving in
Real Name
deedag qadeer
Where abouts are you located that will help people find you a vet

@Zara the lovebird queen hopefully she will on on to help you
Hello,

First, don't force feed the bird. It is too easy to aspirate and choke on food.

This bird needs time to be comfortable around you. She will be frightened and scared of her new surroundings and of you. Leave her alone if she won´ t take the food.

Weigh her in the mornings so you can monitor that she does not lose too much weight.

At this age, you can try feeding some millet, or leave some in the cage ((if she does eat it, you will have to provide water)

My birds at this age used to love sitting on by chest/neck under my chin or near my ears. Give her some time to adjust to her new surrounds and then sit back on a sofa or armchair and try placing her there on you to spend some time and be comforted. You can talk softly to her, no sudden movements. Don't lift her too high in case she jumps.

You will have to be very patient with her and understanding of how scared she will be.

Here is a good article;

Baloch

Moving in
Real Name
deedag qadeer
Thank you for replying me so today after morning at around 1 pm it was flapping it's wings but not making sound I was curious to see if it's hungry so I made some cerelac for her and tried feeding her well it was way easier then yesterday I had to force her a lil bit as I was scared for it not to die and it ate like lets say 5-6 drops I gave it a drop inside it's beak and waited for it to swallow it and proceeded with that step untill it stopped letting me feed her as I tried to gave her a drop more forcefully it shakes it's head and makes a mess and I have seen it sleep all time when I make a sound it wakes up look at me and slowly blinks till it's eyes are closed again kindly guide me further should I be worried ? I put a filter of water in her cage and I have kept a 100 watt bulb in her cage so she doesn't feel cold as it's very cold in Quetta,Balochistan like it gets to 35 degrees , I also cover her cage with a blanket and I make sure there is way for oxygen, it has some cerelac on her feathers below the beak but Idk how to clean it off as it's hardened up and won't let me clean it with Luke warm water

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
As time goes on, she should be easier to feed. Some birds wing flap but don't make a sound, it is ok. That is them saying they want to be fed.
Don't overfil the beak, when she is shaking it out and making a mess is because she has too much food going in and she is trying not to aspirate.
If she doesn't accept the food at the first try, just put a single small drop on the side of the beak where the upper and lower mandible meet, and allow it to go in, usually when the birds feel the food, they will then open their beaks to be fed.
Wipe the beak area with a damp cloth after every feed to avoid the food sticking to feathers. If you have dried food, gently hold a damp cloth on the dry food, then gentle wipe in the direction the feathers grow, do not pull or tug, do not pick, just be very patient as it can hurt your bird to tug on those delicate feathers. It may take many times of holding the damp cloth on the dry food then doing a few gentle wipes, and repeating. Do this between feeds so she does not associate this with the feeding.
The brooder should be lined with a few inches of aspen shavings (coarse pine will do if no aspen is available). This will help keep the bird warm. They should be almost fully feathered now, so be careful using lamps and bulbs to heat the birds area, personally I never use them. A heated pad placed under the brooder is better and safer.
35 degrees F or C? If you mean F, is that also inside your home? Because often in our homes the temperature is not as cold as outside.
If you can get a digital thermometer you can put it in the brooder and see what the temperature actually is. I even use mine after chicks have grown to monitor the area the birds are in.

Do you have a picture of your bird? To see how feathered they are.

Baloch

Moving in
Real Name
deedag qadeer
As time goes on, she should be easier to feed. Some birds wing flap but don't make a sound, it is ok. That is them saying they want to be fed.
Don't overfil the beak, when she is shaking it out and making a mess is because she has too much food going in and she is trying not to aspirate.
If she doesn't accept the food at the first try, just put a single small drop on the side of the beak where the upper and lower mandible meet, and allow it to go in, usually when the birds feel the food, they will then open their beaks to be fed.
Wipe the beak area with a damp cloth after every feed to avoid the food sticking to feathers. If you have dried food, gently hold a damp cloth on the dry food, then gentle wipe in the direction the feathers grow, do not pull or tug, do not pick, just be very patient as it can hurt your bird to tug on those delicate feathers. It may take many times of holding the damp cloth on the dry food then doing a few gentle wipes, and repeating. Do this between feeds so she does not associate this with the feeding.
The brooder should be lined with a few inches of aspen shavings (coarse pine will do if no aspen is available). This will help keep the bird warm. They should be almost fully feathered now, so be careful using lamps and bulbs to heat the birds area, personally I never use them. A heated pad placed under the brooder is better and safer.
35 degrees F or C? If you mean F, is that also inside your home? Because often in our homes the temperature is not as cold as outside.
If you can get a digital thermometer you can put it in the brooder and see what the temperature actually is. I even use mine after chicks have grown to monitor the area the birds are in.

here are some pics if you want more clear pics it wont be a problem i just didnt want to distrub it, i have seen it pooping just green drops and since morning it has peed 2 times that was clear with just little white inside it but no solid stuff should i be worried?? and also the down of the feather are sticking out like its not fluffy where uts attacked to the skin it sticks out and then the feathers are out of it, i have a video of it flapping its wings idk why it does it but when it does white dust comes out of it kindly guide me further as i am a total beginner and i surely dont want this lil fellow to die .

Attachments

Baloch

Moving in
Real Name
deedag qadeer
here are some pics if you want more clear pics it wont be a problem i just didnt want to distrub it, i have seen it pooping just green drops and since morning it has peed 2 times that was clear with just little white inside it but no solid stuff should i be worried?? and also the down of the feather are sticking out like its not fluffy where uts attacked to the skin it sticks out and then the feathers are out of it, i have a video of it flapping its wings idk why it does it but when it does white dust comes out of it kindly guide me further as i am a total beginner and i surely dont want this lil fellow to die .
this is the watery substance that it urinated.

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Birds don't pee. They just have one dropping that is both pee and poop combined. Often people just refer to it as poop.
When it is watery like that it is because your bird has not eaten enough. There should be soid in the liquid. When birds are only eating formula, the "poops" are a mix of the solid and liquid so you don't see any liquid, just a waste that is a bit thicker than the formula you feed and a similar colour.
Once the birds wean onto food, then you see the "poops" are then solids with liquid around.

What food is available to your bird? It is good to have some seed or pellets available all the time. And you can offer some fresh veggies during the day. Also you must have water too.

also the down of the feather are sticking out like its not fluffy where uts attacked to the skin it sticks out and then the feathers are out of it
Don't worry, those are just unopened feathers. Your bird will eventually preen the keratin sheath off to allow the feather to open.

Given the feathers, you don't need a lamp as long as your room is warm. Lining the flood where the bird is with wood shavings ( you can use a towel for now in a pinch) to keep the heat in is ideal.
It is important the room is warm and the bird does not get cold.

Baloch

Moving in
Real Name
deedag qadeer
Birds don't pee. They just have one dropping that is both pee and poop combined. Often people just refer to it as poop.
When it is watery like that it is because your bird has not eaten enough. There should be soid in the liquid. When birds are only eating formula, the "poops" are a mix of the solid and liquid so you don't see any liquid, just a waste that is a bit thicker than the formula you feed and a similar colour.
Once the birds wean onto food, then you see the "poops" are then solids with liquid around.

What food is available to your bird? It is good to have some seed or pellets available all the time. And you can offer some fresh veggies during the day. Also you must have water too.

Don't worry, those are just unopened feathers. Your bird will eventually preen the keratin sheath off to allow the feather to open.

Given the feathers, you don't need a lamp as long as your room is warm. Lining the flood where the bird is with wood shavings ( you can use a towel for now in a pinch) to keep the heat in is ideal.
It is important the room is warm and the bird does not get cold.
thank you for increasing my knowledge, yes i have kept some small seeds and pellets for it, it tried to eat it but i think couldnt break it but it was fun watching it be curious and take a seed, i give ut fresh water every 3 hours in a filter but i dont think it drinks water, i have not seen it yet, the room is quite cold as its in basement and i have so i cover her cage with a blanket and the theres heat for warmth 18/24, i am monitoring it almost all day as im enjoying my vaccations at home due to a broken leg but at night i sleep around 2 am and wake up at 10 am to check on it, kindly guide me further as your guide is helping me alot and im very pleased.

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Keep an eye on the seeds, look for hulls, the empty shell of the seed. That is how you will know your bird is eating. They are physically able to eat the smaller seeds at this age, it is just up to them to figure out they can.
Have the water near to the food. Sometimes birds don't drink water in front of us, but you will know they are drinking by the poops. Drier poops mean they are not drinking enough.

Baloch

Moving in
Real Name
deedag qadeer
Keep an eye on the seeds, look for hulls, the empty shell of the seed. That is how you will know your bird is eating. They are physically able to eat the smaller seeds at this age, it is just up to them to figure out they can.
Have the water near to the food. Sometimes birds don't drink water in front of us, but you will know they are drinking by the poops. Drier poops mean they are not drinking enough.
thank you, yes it did dry poop it wasnt that dry but it didnt have water like substance yet it was shiny like slime.