• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby love bird won't willingly eat her formula

starfire08

Checking out the neighborhood
So I just got my new baby love bird two days ago (she's a month old) and the first night home she didn't cry or act like she wanted any food, but I still tried giving her a little bit of the formula the breeder gave me but she didn't eat it so I assumed she was just nervous cause of the new surroundings. The next day though, she still didn't want any of her formula and I kind of had to force her to eat some cause it had been almost a day since her last feeding (before we bought her). Today she's doing a bit better with letting me feed her but I'm still basically holding her little beak open and she's still not eating enough where I can tell she's full with her crop:( Sorry for all that backstory but basically I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to make her more eager to eat?

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Welcome to Aa!
Untill someone with expirince in lovebirds and handfeeding can answer, it is vital that she is kept warm and hydrated. maybe some pedalyte if youcan get some 50/50 with water via syringe.
I would also contact the breeder to hear what he has to say.. myabe he can give you some tips.
I would also try and find a vet that would take her, just in case.
Taggin our resident expert for lovebirds @Zara

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue,

she didn't eat it so I assumed she was just nervous cause of the new surroundings.
Correct, but also, you are not the breeder. You are a new person and your bird does not associate you with food.

I kind of had to force her to eat some
If you are syringe feeding, forcing can cause aspiration.
Try to get the bird to show a feeding response, sometimes pinching your fingers togther and gently lightly touching the beak can stimulate a response.
Be sure the formula is at the correct temp and consistency. At this age, if spoon fed and the formula is too cold, they will reject it.
I like to lay a teatowel down for the little ones to stand on on the table, but while they are smaller, I would bunch them up in the towel (kind of making a small nest shape) so it´s warm around them.
If these down work, try feeding in the brooder (it can be awkward, so be sure to clean up well).

Introduce some bonding sessions where she can snuggle with you, I found the nook of the neck (or any other nook for that matter) to be popular choices. Let the little one be with you and talk gently to them. This will start building some trust between you... but remember, forcing a beak open will lessen the trust.

If your bird is not receptive and eating within the next 24 hours, best go back to the breeder and get them to step in.

Taggin our resident expert for lovebirds @Zara
Thanks for the tag :) Though I´m not an expert, just an enthusiast :ypflb: :vlb1: