• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Worst Fish Nightmare Has Come True

Status
Not open for further replies.

CKJ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
Carole, I'm so sorry to hear about Tora having dropsy. I also experienced it with a fish I had in the past. I hope the medication work and Tora recovers ~ :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thank you all. I know how strongly we can turn things around with our good energy!:hug8:

Agreed completely :(
What I should have said, was nothing looks worse. As pointed out there are some other diseases and bacterias that are far worse and much more dangerous.

Thanks. Yeah, I ended up having to put down all the fish that were showing severe symptoms (which I don't normally believe in doing, usually I just keep trying treatments and prayer, but I have family members with immune diseases and severe allergies to antibiotics) and sent the rest to a rescue that sort of does hospice care for fish. People tried telling me that there was a pretty much million to one chance of a human contracting it, until the large number of people that did started chiming in. It's a very scary business when you know for sure that the disease you're dealing with in your pets could potentially kill someone in your family (I actually did the gram stain to confirm it).

I hope your fin baby recovers. I have a big soft spot for those pudgy little goldies.
How very frightening!

I cringed when I read your title. I hope she will be alright, Carole. I lost Ponyo to Dropsy so know what you are going through. :sadhug2:
I know Marie, I am so sorry.:hug8:Thank you.

So sorry to be reading this thread Carole. Know the feeling of helplessness you are going through. We had our beautiful fish poorly and even the Vet who lived around the corner from us tried hard to save him by giving him all the treatment he could. Needless to say we were not lucky but wish you all the very best with your beautiful fish and do know what you are going through.
Ours used to ping the sides of the tank with mouthfuls of grit from the bottom when he wanted our attention to feed him. Know you are doing the best you can for him and wish you both well.:hug8:
Thank you Ann. We get so attached...a lot of people would not understand.:hug8:

I don't know anything about fish but I hope your little one gets better.

What do you mean metronidazole is banned in California? I don't know about prescribing it for fish, but it is prescribed regularly in CA for humans and animals.
I might be confused with another thing for the CA part, but I know it isn't available in places like Australia for example. There is some substance...I know it's illegal or at least carries big warnings in the state of CA because it is stated that it can cause cancer.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Tora in qt

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
So sorry...and sending HEALING energy for her...
:hug8:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry carole....hope she pulls through.:hug8::hug8:

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know nothing about fish, so I don't know what "dropsy" is, but I hope your able to pull her through. Keeping you both in my prayers. I've always wanted a fish tank, nothing huge or crazy, but something nice and peaceful, and reading about all the stuff that can go wrong has always scared me.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thank you all for caring!!:hug8:
Dropsy is basically a symptom that occurs, it bloats the fish if you will, as a result of an internal bacterial infection. The epsom salt reduces the retained water. The heat helps relieve the discomfort and promotes healing. And the metro cures the bacterial infection. Since fish are kind of sensitive to changes, it is a dance.

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am so very sorry. If anyone can save her it is you.

Matt

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I am sorry Carole. :( I hope she responds to the treatment. It is a horrible disease and just so sad. :hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
How are you both today Carole? Been thinking of you and just praying things will improve. :hug8:If she is going to recover it is with you as you are able to look after her so well. Good luck.:hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks everyone.:hug8: My biggest problem right now is she is not eating. My fish guru friend says I may have to try to syringe feed her. That should be interesting.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thanks everyone.:hug8: My biggest problem right now is she is not eating. My fish guru friend says I may have to try to syringe feed her. That should be interesting.
Yikes, Carole. :( I hope it is successful. :hug8:

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Hey Carole, thinking about you and Tora today and hoping for the best!:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.