• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Worst Fish Nightmare Has Come True

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Tora has dropsy.:sad2: I have set her up in a qt tank. Treatment calls for 1/4 tspn of epsom salt per 10 gal., temp. at 80F, and either treat the water or feed food treated with metronidazole. She is not presently eating, so I will begin by treating the water. Here are pics from last night...she looks terrible. Dropsy is usually a death sentence.:(:(:(
Please keep her in your thoughts.

[h=1][/h]

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry, Carole :sadhug2: I know how it is to take pride in the health of your fishies. I hope you can save her.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks Holiday. Metronidazole is especially a pain for people in certain countries and in CA, as it is banned. I believe some keepers smuggle it into countries in the UK.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor gal. :( I hope the treatment helps her.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thank you Ellen.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ooh no :( I''ve dealt with dropsy too, it is terrible watching them with that condition. I hope she gets better soon!!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks Shawna. About the only thing worse is Hexamita, aka 'hole in the head disease'.

paperdragon

Rollerblading along the road
I'm sorry, I know how hard it is dealing with dropsy. :sadhug2:

Thanks Shawna. About the only thing worse is Hexamita, aka 'hole in the head disease'.
Personally I think mycobacteriosis (fish TB) is right up there on the list. At least it was for me when it came in on some plants and ended up wiping out fish in all 7 of the tanks I had before I figured out what it was.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
True, not good for people either! There are some things that come along with fishkeeping that are dangerous and most people have no idea of the risks. I have some very scary photos of my hand from my previous saltwater tank. I had to rush off to a dr. on a weekend, and get some super duper antibiotics.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
So sorry for your losses.:(

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
I'm so sorry! I'll pray for her. :hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I cringed when I read your title. I hope she will be alright, Carole. I lost Ponyo to Dropsy so know what you are going through. :sadhug2:

paperdragon

True, not good for people either! There are some things that come along with fishkeeping that are dangerous and most people have no idea of the risks. I have some very scary photos of my hand from my previous saltwater tank. I had to rush off to a dr. on a weekend, and get some super duper antibiotics.
So sorry for your losses.:(
Thanks. Yeah, I ended up having to put down all the fish that were showing severe symptoms (which I don't normally believe in doing, usually I just keep trying treatments and prayer, but I have family members with immune diseases and severe allergies to antibiotics) and sent the rest to a rescue that sort of does hospice care for fish. People tried telling me that there was a pretty much million to one chance of a human contracting it, until the large number of people that did started chiming in. It's a very scary business when you know for sure that the disease you're dealing with in your pets could potentially kill someone in your family (I actually did the gram stain to confirm it).

I hope your fin baby recovers. I have a big soft spot for those pudgy little goldies.

Last edited:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
So sorry to be reading this thread Carole. Know the feeling of helplessness you are going through. We had our beautiful fish poorly and even the Vet who lived around the corner from us tried hard to save him by giving him all the treatment he could. Needless to say we were not lucky but wish you all the very best with your beautiful fish and do know what you are going through.
Ours used to ping the sides of the tank with mouthfuls of grit from the bottom when he wanted our attention to feed him. Know you are doing the best you can for him and wish you both well.:hug8:

ThatDarnBird

Thanks Holiday. Metronidazole is especially a pain for people in certain countries and in CA, as it is banned. I believe some keepers smuggle it into countries in the UK.
I don't know anything about fish but I hope your little one gets better.

What do you mean metronidazole is banned in California? I don't know about prescribing it for fish, but it is prescribed regularly in CA for humans and animals.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no Carole! So sorry to hear this! You were just saying she was looking fat. I hope you can save her and will keep her in my prayers. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.