• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My sun conure fell

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterpiece91

Moving in
My conure fell to the bottom of the cage this morning, which he has in the past, but this time he kept climbing back up and fell a second time. When I went to uncover him to check on him he seemed in shock and like his foot was hurt. I immediately grabbed him and placed him between my arms to make sure he would not fall again. We were going to take him to the vet right away but he appeared to recover. Tonight he seems better but I know well enough to know he is not ok. He is more cuddly than usual and a bit quieter. His foot seems to be fine. Can someone give me some feedback on what could be wrong with him.... we will be taking to the vet Saturday but I want to make sure it is ok to wait until then. Please help!!!!

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
OH that is scary...I had something similar happen a few times with my grey cheek Dozer...he was always dazed and out of it for a bit after it happened. The first time it happened I did take him right to the vet...nothing was found to be wrong or out of the ordinary....the vet thought possible seizures....

On another note, my M2 also had this happen and she tested positive for zinc toxicity...so she had to undergo treatment for it and now she is fine.

So i would advise taking your baby to be seen by a vet ASAP to be sure he is ok....so many things it could be. In the meantime I would keep him warm, maybe in a smaller cage with a padded bottom. When was the last time he was seen by a vet?

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I would try making his perches really low to where if he falls he will not hurt himself further. Try to also pad the bottom of the cage. Keep him warm and try to keep him from doing a lot of activity. Is he eating and pooping ok? I agree with Leslie that getting a vet check would be good. That way they can make sure he is ok. Good luck in the meantime and please let us know how it goes.

quakingcanopy

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
You will likely get more feedback and perhaps someone else can be of more help but loss of balance and strength can have a lot to do with a poor diet. What are you feeding? I have a 4 year old sun who I have had almost 2 weeks now. She was fed a seed only diet for years and was allowed to breed and lay so by the time I had her a few days she was so weak she was falling down.

She is on a much better diet and careful management has stopped the laying, but she still falls. So, I moved all of her perches, toys, and food bowls to the bottom 6 inches of her cage so she has no need to climb high enough to really fall from. As she gets more weight on her, replenishes lost vitamins and minerals, and gets stronger I will raise her toys and perches higher. Might be worth a short to redecorate for your little guy until you figure things out with the vet! Good luck! I know how heart breaking it is too see them fall!

masterpiece91

Moving in
Thanks for all the feedback, I have moved him to a smaller cage where he won't get hurt if he falls. I also lowered the perched but he is climbing around as usual. He is eating as normal and I checked his poop and it seems fine. His left foot looks a little darker than the right one which may just be a bruise but he is not limping. One thing I notice is that he keep rubbing his beak against the perches more than usual. Does that mean anything? I'm concerned cause I've been told they hide their sickness until the end. Is it normal for them to fall? I've read of night frights, could this be a reason for him falling this morning? I will keep him warm until I could take him to the vet.

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Can you take him tomorrow instead of waiting till Saturday?

masterpiece91

Moving in
Oh by the way, last time he saw a vet was about a year ago but we take him routinely to our note store to give him the "spa" treatment and clean up his beak and nails. Also he mainly eats pellets but occasionally we give hum sun flower seeds or what we are eating... bread, or chicken... he usually likes to eat at the table with us but we don't let him most of the time because we want to make sure he eats his food. He'll usually dance around and give us a show until we give in and he ends up at the table with us :).... I gotta say he has grown on me a lot.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Sometimes they have a drop off service?

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
If he was having a seizure, another good thing is to write down what precipitated it, how long it lasted, what happened when they fell and how long it took to recuperate from it.

masterpiece91

Moving in
Birdlady I see you are from nj, would you happen to know a good Asian vet I could take him to? I was planning in taking him to the englewood animal hospital cause we did not like our last vet, he clipped his wings incorrectly. Do you know of any good vet in the Hudson county area?

masterpiece91

Moving in
I don't think he was having a seizure. He is a young bird. And it didn't appear to be that. I am hoping that he is just stunned...

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Sorry I am from the Camden county area...near Philadelphia. For emergencies I go to the University of Pennsylvania Veterinary Hospital, but that must be at least a few hours from you...

Here is a link to avian vets in NJ. Perhaps one is close to you?

Land of Vos - List of Avian Veterinarians

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
When was the last time he went to the groomers?

Ginger

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How has he been?

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I have been wondering the same.

Keep us updated, if you couldn't make it to the vet, we might be able to help for today.

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
How is your little guy today? I'm in NJ too... Here's my avian vet and they are the best .. :heart: They have 2 offices whichever is more convenient for you..
Ridgewood Veterinary Hospital

320 E. Ridgewood Ave.
Ridgewood, NJ 07450
201-447-6000
Open 7 days a week
Monday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 8:00 A.M. - 9:00 P.M.

Ridgewood Veterinary Hospital, Midland Park

70 Goffle Road
Midland Park, NJ 07432
201-445-0030
Open 6 days a week
Monday through Saturday 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
Closed Sunday

gayla

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gayla
Please update us, and never hesitate to get them to a vet when they are acting strange. You never know with birds. They could all of a sudden act normal, but be very sick or have something that needs to be addressed by a vet.

Also, I would put towels on the bottom of his cage in case he falls again, he'll have a soft landing, possibly lower his perches.

Status
Not open for further replies.