• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My plan if Dexter is ever stolen

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
That song is still very much relavent today as it was back in the 60s

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Sorry for taking this thread off topic. I too worry about my birds getting stolen among other what if' s. All we can do is try to safeguard their safety as best we can.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I was actually thinking of this song by The Kinks -
@JLcribber

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I'm a paranoid person, and I'm terrified that, if I take my umbrella cockatoo, dexter, in public, he will be stolen from me. I've come up with a (hopefully) good plan if Dexter is ever stolen. Tell me what you think! It'd take a few hours (post being stolen) to enact my plan. First, he needs to be microchipped. If Dexter is stolen, I call every vet in the surrounding states that sees birds. I tell them if that, if they have a new umbrella cockatoo come in, to check it for a chip. That way, if he is sold before I find him, he will still be checked (the person who buys him will likely think they bought him from his real owner and wont check him for a chip)

Hopefully, the vets will be willing to do a quick scan. I know that vets do it for found birds, but I dont think they Normally scan newly bought birds. I don't plan on telling any strangers that he is chipped, in case they try to have it changed before I w arn the vets.
Also consider a tattoo or mark under a wing. Dr. Scott McDonald Scott E. McDonald is a travelling vet who surgically sexes birds. When he does so, he injects ink under either the right or left wing depending on the sex of the bird. He marks the males under their right wing because, he claims: "the guy is always right". Note: Dr. Scott does anesthetize a bird when he is sexing/marking them.

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
My fear about teaching them their address, or some phrase is that it doesn't prove that the bird is yours. A chip will have my name, number and address and can't be faked, especially if I'm not present. Tags are removed and I'm not sure if the tattoos are unique. I'm fearful he'd be sold to some one who falls in love with him and doesn't want to give him back just because " I Used to know know His owner" if he was at a rescue or taken by the police they may accept that, but whoever may adopt him may not.

Unfortunately, the paranoia is one of many mental issues I inherited. However, the paranoia, in smaller doses, insure I don't accidentally harm him. It made sure I never once overheated his formula (that and I have experience hand feeding other animals, and knew the risks of formula temperature) I know now I should be more experienced with hand feeding birds before doing it alone) it made me do 5x more research on every animal i cared for.
I do know how it can be dangerous, the paranoia. But in small doses it can be helpful

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Try not to over think this possibility, although I know it's easy to say and hard to do. I have a tendency to over analyze so I understand. Are you in a situation where your bird is exposed to a lot of traffic/ strangers. I've known people who had their parrot stolen by the Gardner's.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Try not to over think this possibility, although I know it's easy to say and hard to do. I have a tendency to over analyze so I understand. Are you in a situation where your bird is exposed to a lot of traffic/ strangers. I've known people who had their parrot stolen by the Gardner's.
I want Dexter to be a therapy bird, so he will be at some point. Until then, I'm not taking him out alone. When I got dexter, I only took him out with my boyfriend (long story, but it is long distance now), who always carried a knife and was "violent" (willing to stab to killing someone took dex from us, which tbh scared the heck out of me), and was a tough guy. I'm a weak 18 year old woman with an obvious limp and can barely run. The person accompanying me now is my mother (had to move back in with her) who is worse than I am. Wherever I take Dex are Well populated places, and my plan will bring him back if he's stolen. As far as when he is home, he is confined to one room (I'm antisocial so I spend all my time in there with him anyways) and no strangers go in there. The only people who could know where I live and steal Dex would be the people who live in the house behind mine, thats i r they saw him and didn't say anything) i'm working on getting a lock on his cage (the cage doesn't fit through the door and had to be completely disassembled to get into my room)

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Does Dexter wear a harness when out in public. You have to be careful anytime you take your bird in public. Try not to worry about it.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Does Dexter wear a harness when out in public. You have to be careful anytime you take your bird in public. Try not to worry about it.
Yes he does. My plan is more of a backup plan. I want him to be a therapy animal because I love the way people react to exciting animals. I'm shy around people except when it comes to animals. I got a taste of talking about animals when I volunteered at the zoo (guest interaction area) and have wanted to do it again ever since. I've had people call me out and say I just like the attention, and I suppose I do. However, any other kind of attention makes me nervous. "Friends" I had at school growing up believed I was a shy person and began to dislike me when I immediately became an extrovert when it came to animals. I like to see people get excited because I was that way about animals growing up. I do get nervous with animals around small children (for the animal's safety, not the child's, though I don't want anyone to get bit).

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
And I really hope that those words wasn't for me.
Only if you think they apply.

How often are there break ins in your neighbourhood? How often are parrots targeted and stolen in your area? How would someone know you had a parrot and on top of that want to steal it? Do you live in a safe house and lock your doors? If you live in a crime infested area then you may have reason to worry. But otherwise,

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)
:)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Only if you think they apply.
Great! So now I can quote you and say whatever I want and accuse you for mental disability!
It's never OK to go to personal attacks and it wasn't me that was suffering from paranoia.
To accuse people for having a mental illness is really showing how low a person can sink.

And if you don't like me (perhaps you don't like strong woman's that dare to challenge you as I sometimes do?) you have a option in this forum and that is to Ignore a person.
Do that instead of showing your bad manners over and over again.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Great! So now I can quote you and say whatever I want and accuse you for mental disability!
You are entitled to your opinion and can say whatever you want. Be prepared for rebuttal.

It's never OK to go to personal attacks and it wasn't me that was suffering from paranoia.
To accuse people for having a mental illness is really showing how low a person can sink.

I don't know how you came up with this. I didn't attack anyone or point fingers. I didn't accuse anyone of anything, especially mental illness.

And if you don't like me (perhaps you don't like strong woman's that dare to challenge you as I sometimes do?) you have a option in this forum and that is to Ignore a person.

I have no quarrel with you one way or the other. I don't know you. I expressed an opinion on a topic. Nothing more. I love you because you're a passionate bird owner. Ok. Not love. Strong like. :)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't know how you came up with this. I didn't attack anyone or point fingers. I didn't accuse anyone of anything, especially mental illness.
OK, then I misunderstood you. But you did quote me and posted:
Paranoia is a dangerous thing.
And great, that you did reply and explained yourself. :)
And I'm sorry if I'm sounded harsh.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Paranoia "is" a dangerous thing.

I like harsh. :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra

You are entitled to your opinion and can say whatever you want. Be prepared for rebuttal.

I have no quarrel with you one way or the other. I don't know you. I expressed an opinion on a topic. Nothing more. I love you because you're a passionate bird owner. Ok. Not love. Strong like. :)

Play nicely, guys. You're both very direct about things that are important to you and as the saying goes "you call a spade a spade". Sometimes the written words miss the inflection which would put a completely different meaning on them. I like both of you too much as AA friends to want to lose either of you.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Pilo recites while playing chess with me! :laughing4:
You can't play chess with a parrot, they always cheat! :p
The eat all the white chessmens and throw the black ones to the floor. And after they will be doing the happy dance on the board singing, tick tack, tick tack. :rolleyes: