• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My plan if Dexter is ever stolen

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I'm a paranoid person, and I'm terrified that, if I take my umbrella cockatoo, dexter, in public, he will be stolen from me. I've come up with a (hopefully) good plan if Dexter is ever stolen. Tell me what you think! It'd take a few hours (post being stolen) to enact my plan. First, he needs to be microchipped. If Dexter is stolen, I call every vet in the surrounding states that sees birds. I tell them if that, if they have a new umbrella cockatoo come in, to check it for a chip. That way, if he is sold before I find him, he will still be checked (the person who buys him will likely think they bought him from his real owner and wont check him for a chip)

Hopefully, the vets will be willing to do a quick scan. I know that vets do it for found birds, but I dont think they Normally scan newly bought birds. I don't plan on telling any strangers that he is chipped, in case they try to have it changed before I w arn the vets.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't think that if you stole a bird your first choice would be to take it to a vet.

But in fact I also have a plan for that, but I have not done something about it.
My plan is to create an extra leg band with text: My owner is **** and she/he will never sell me.
The leg band will have a different color and the text should be inside the band. (an open band)

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I thought about that too, but I figured the person who stole him could have it removed.

I don't think the stealer will take him to the vet, but whoever buys him will, hopefully. I had even poked into finding a company with custom bands like that, but cou ldnt find one.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I thought about that too, but I figured the person who stole him could have it removed.
That's why the text should be inside the band.
I had even poked into finding a company with custom bands like that, but cou ldnt find one.
My plan was to order a blank band and then just go to a jeweler that will make the text. (like a wedding ring)

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Ooh smart!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
My gcc flock all say "beep beep" mainly because the alpha male, Beni, has always been called beep beep Beni. Didn't help that the vet staff at his first visit sang "Benny & The Jets" to him in the back room. If any are ever stolen, all I'd have to do would be walk into a pet store and say "beep beep". The Quakers also have their own sayings. JJ specially says a garbled version of "night night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite". As well as a couple of other things.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
So we should teach them all to say our name, address, and phone number! :rofl:
And then we have to listen to that so many times/day so we get sores in our ears.. :p
And if we ever take them on a outside walk we will never have any privacy again instead we will have a lot of creepy stalkers. :wideyed:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
So we should teach them all to say our name, address, and phone number! :rofl:
And then we have to listen to that so many times/day so we get sores in our ears.. :p
And if we ever take them on a outside walk we will never have any privacy again instead we will have a lot of creepy stalkers. :wideyed:
No, just teach them to say something that isn't a normal thing. Beni actually says "beep beep Beni" and "Beni bird" but all the gccs say beep beep. If your fid doesn't talk, try teaching it to come to you when you say a certain word. Truth be told, if you have a fid that bites people it does not know, that would be good enough to track down a thief. But Eloy, you could pick a Swedish word that has a special meaning to you and repeat it to your fids and the same goes for finchly. Something they'll hear every morning and every night will end up becoming a password if you will.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
No, just teach them to say something that isn't a normal thing.
Of course I was only kidding my friend. :D ♥

But it would have been so much easier if we have own Gotcha.
The person who ever want to steal this parrot would regret that as soon as he starts to talk.. :D
"Ill talk till I'm dead!"

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Porky rice must be Chinese Fried Rice....you think? :embarassed:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra

Or a lot of requests for blind dates :wideyed: :coffeescreen:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The leg band will have a different color and the text should be inside the band. (an open band)
Leg bands are dangerous enough and an open band is the most dangerous of all. Also the easiest to take off. The "first" thing any thief will do is remove any kind of identification (bands).

What's more important is that putting any kind of band on an adult bird that has never had one since birth is not going to accept it as normal. It will always be a foreign object to be stressed over. An irritant to be picked at.

Paranoia is a dangerous thing.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Leg bands are dangerous enough and an open band is the most dangerous of all. Also the easiest to take off. The "first" thing any thief will do is remove any kind of identification (bands).
I know, that is why it is only a plan. More as a fun thing.
What's more important is that putting any kind of band on an adult bird that has never had one since birth is not going to accept it as normal.
But my birds have leg band already.
Wild birds do accept their leg band so that's not correct.
And my Meyer was getting his leg band when he was 1 years old and he did accept that. But it was an open band so I did remove it.
Leg bands are dangerous enough
In fact I don't find a close band to be dangerous. (more then if they hurt their leg and the leg get swollen) And they put band on wild birds too and they never get hurt from that. If it would be dangerous those (rare and protected) birds would never have a leg band.