• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

my parakeet has a black spot on his beak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Seed is seed is seed. Granted, if you switch to Volkman's (what I feed my little ones), or another of the blends you're going to get a better variety mixed in that do not have the artificial coloring that the walmart mix does. He should have both fresh foods and a pelleted diet, but introduction can be difficult because if he hasn't eaten them before, he needs to be taught that they are food, and once he gets that it's food, then he needs to actually eat it (with my little one that was 3/4 of the battle!)

If you tried to convert him to a different diet when you brought him home it may have been done too quickly. A good method is to figure out how much seed he eats in a day, and gradually switching out portions of his current food with what you're introducing. With just a guess at his weight, he should have approximately 3-4 teaspoons of seed/pellets per day in addition to fresh. You may have to play around with quantities if you have a lot left over at the end of the day. Once you know how much he's eating, replace a little bit, about 1/4 teaspoon, with the new stuff. Once you're sure that he's eating the new stuff, switch out 1/2 a teaspoon for new stuff. This will take a few weeks, but the health benefits for your little one will be monumental. With fresh foods if you chop them up finely and then sprinkle a little bit of seed on them that could encourage him to try them out.

Where are you located? We can help you find an AV in your area =)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It looks like he has been rubbing his beak on something a lot causing it to turn black. Just another possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.